Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 4, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #3,813 of 42,765
Thanks so much, that sounds very promising to me. I'm a composer and listen mostly to modern instrumental music, world music / soundtrack etc, so having those improvements in the mid-high frequency ranges will be a better match for me than the E17's more/fuller bass. Great to hear the comparisons - I think you've just sold me on the Mojo!
smily_headphones1.gif

I listen to a lot of classical/instrumental and the Mojo has excellent timbre. Its a perfect match for that genre of music due to its uncanny ability to distinguish each and every instrument very distinctly AND retain very good dynamic range across the board. The E17 I find colors the track too much for classical. I think you'll be in for a treat with the Mojo 
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #3,814 of 42,765

Great.  If I may ask, do I need to order any special cables to hook the mojo to the MacBook pro?

Most USB cable should work. Mojo comes with one but way short for desktop use. However, there are USB cable setup only for charging and not for data transfer.

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #3,815 of 42,765
why is it 3v when most amps are expecting 2v, surely there will be overload issues? I'll find out later

Chord posted several pages back that you could get 2v with double cyan volume setting. The advantage of doing the manual setting over the line level setting is that it will be remembered when you power off and back on. I don't know first hand though, still waiting for batch 3 from Moon. :frowning2:

Nov 4, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #3,816 of 42,765
Hi John,

Sounds like you have quite a few Mojo addons in the pipeline. You have talked about three or four additional modules, plus Apple and Android "packs" and now a connector. Quite a nice revenue stream if dealers are prepared to stock them and customers can track them down. Will you be offering a direct mail order service in the UK? I bought a second Hugo charger directly from Chord but I know this is not currently an advertised service.

Ian
In truth we are not really considering these first add on items as a significant revenue stream instead we see them as a way of getting new people started and able to use Mojo. We had to keep them as separate items from Mojo as we were fighting every penny to get to the magic sub four hundred pounds. This was a very very tough thing to do,it's a price performance issue. That had we'd failed we would not have been able to address a wider audience. You see it our intention to bring more non audiophiles into this business this will help the whole industry not just us. We intend to take very little profit then from these start up kits but by making things easier we will win more customers overall.

Nov 4, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #3,817 of 42,765
In truth we are not really considering these first add on items as a significant revenue stream instead we see them as a way of getting new people started and able to use Mojo. We had to keep them as separate items from Mojo as we were fighting every penny to get to the magic sub four hundred pounds. This was a very very tough thing to do,it's a price performance issue. That had we'd failed we would not have been able to address a wider audience. You see it our intention to bring more non audiophiles into this business this will help the whole industry not just us. We intend to take very little profit then from these start up kits but by making things easier we will win more customers overall.

Thanks John that's actually a noble goal however most users on this site have graduated to the audiophile level and a good number wants to own one of your FPGA based designs, at least the most affordable one and I am surely one of them. Who does not want to own one? I, and a lot of other members here, believe you are offering an excellent deal for such a fine amp/DAC. I am not convinced you'll necessarily gain additional consumers for your higher end product. The force under action is one of price/features and mainly affordability but at the stage you're in, attempting to attract additional new customers seem to be a natural undertaking. Just so you know that for us consumers, it's still a chunk of money and for some, it might mean buying additional hardware to make it work to its fullest, that's what I believe is a strong statement and belief in your product and technical ability. I am just hoping you're not going to rush manufacturing so you can make the demand. On the subject of manufacturing, what's your QC process you go through before releasing the Mojo?

Nov 4, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #3,818 of 42,765

Hi John

Sorry if you thought I was suggesting Chord might be planning overpriced addons. What I was trying to say is that while we hobbyists have an interest in addons many dealers often are not as enthusiastic about stocking widgets. Hence the question about a mail order option.

Ian

Nov 4, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #3,819 of 42,765
Thanks John that's actually a noble goal however most users on this site have graduated to the audiophile level and a good number wants to own one of your FPGA based designs, at least the most affordable one and I am surely one of them. Who does not want to own one? I, and a lot of other members here, believe you are offering an excellent deal for such a fine amp/DAC. I am not convinced you'll necessarily gain additional consumers for your higher end product. The force under action is one of price/features and mainly affordability but at the stage you're in, attempting to attract additional new customers seem to be a natural undertaking. Just so you know that for us consumers, it's still a chunk of money and for some, it might mean buying additional hardware to make it work to its fullest, that's what I believe is a strong statement and belief in your product and technical ability. I am just hoping you're not going to rush manufacturing so you can make the demand. On the subject of manufacturing, what's your QC process you go through before releasing the Mojo?
Fortunately we are well connected into our worldwide distribution network and we get daily enemy hourly up dates. It seems that we have indeed tapped a huge market as the volumes of orders now hitting us could not be from only us audiophiles our retailers are saying that they have never seen such frenetic sales activity before on any product like this before. So we are in for an interesting time I think.

Nov 4, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #3,820 of 42,765
Fortunately we are well connected into our worldwide distribution network and we get daily enemy hourly up dates. It seems that we have indeed tapped a huge market as the volumes of orders now hitting us could not be from only us audiophiles our retailers are saying that they have never seen such frenetic sales activity before on any product like this before. So we are in for an interesting time I think.

Not enemy ... Even an hourly update.

Nov 4, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #3,821 of 42,765
Just got my second Mojo, however, it emits a sort of RF noise when connected to a USB charger. Both directly from a wall wart or a battery charger. Sometimes it's soft and can barely hear it unless I put it touching my ears. Sometimes it's loud enough that I can hear it 2 feet away from me and sound like there is a fan inside.

My first Mojo is dead silent. Did I get the busted unit?

Nov 4, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #3,823 of 42,765
Just got my second Mojo, however, it emits a sort of RF noise when connected to a USB charger. Both directly from a wall wart or a battery charger. Sometimes it's soft and can barely hear it unless I put it touching my ears. Sometimes it's loud enough that I can hear it 2 feet away from me and sound like there is a fan inside.

My first Mojo is dead silent. Did I get the busted unit?

Do you have another 5V 2.0 A USB wall charger say from an iPad or other Notebook devices? I would try to find out if the issue is not with a faulty USB charger or battery charger that does not charge to full voltage/Power. If necessary try charging your Mojo from a car cigarette lighter charger rated at 5V/2A, Just some suggestions to check the power charger module before you conclude the problem is with the Mojo. Last, do you know even if it makes noise, that it is or isn't charging the unit?

Nov 4, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #3,824 of 42,765
Do you have another 5V 2.0 A USB wall charger say from an iPad or other Notebook devices? I would try to find out if the issue is not with a faulty USB charger or battery charger that does not charge to full voltage/Power. If necessary try charging your Mojo from a car cigarette lighter charger rated at 5V/2A, Just some suggestions to check the power charger module before you conclude the problem is with the Mojo. Last, do you know even if it makes noise, that it is or isn't charging the unit?

Yup tried different chargers, (laptop, wall charger, ipad charger and battery) the wall charger and battery has both 1A/2A output. The 2nd Mojo consistently emit noise on all chargers, while I tried the 1st mojo and it's silent on all chargers.

Nov 4, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #3,825 of 42,765
Yup tried different chargers, (laptop, wall charger, ipad charger and battery) the wall charger and battery has both 1A/2A output. The 2nd Mojo consistently emit noise on all chargers, while I tried the 1st mojo and it's silent on all chargers.

Got it, I thought your first Mojo was dead on arrival though, so no life signs from the charging function as for the second, it's a dud dude! Back to the store again. Now you know why I asked John their QC process, seems that they have a high rate of failures or low MTBF (mean time between failure). :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back