Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 21, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #1,471 of 42,765
  This will not work with HUGO/Mojo. It works only with OPPO HA-2. There's a 20K Ohm resistor between pins 4 and 5.

Great to know!

Now if someone could must make something in the same form-factor that would work with the Mojo...

Oct 21, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #1,472 of 42,765
  Great to know!

Now if someone could must make something in the same form-factor that would work with the Mojo...

I tried removing the resistor and shorted pins 4 & 5. Still  didn't work. Need to check, what's on the wmport side. 

Oct 21, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #1,474 of 42,765
Hi Craig, hope you haven't answered this in the following 400 messages. Out of interest, how did the iPhone compare soundwise to a dedicated DAP like the Fiio X5?

Hi AndrewH13. Besides any file format or expectation bias (I HATE using my smartphone for a DAP, personal preference) I would say they sound the same. At least within the time it takes for me to switch inputs I couldn't tell any appreciable difference between sources and that's good enough for me.

:beerchug:

Bit sleep deprived, so math might be off, but at 49ohm impedance and 90dBSPL/mW the Prime needs ~100mW to reach 110dB transient peaks, and 316mW to reach 115dB peaks (with the smaller former value being a reasonable target). The Mojo looks to be putting out about ~118mW into the Primes 49ohm load, so it might be adequate, but there may be little headroom volume-wise. Depends on the listeners preferred listening volumes a bit, as well as their taste in music - classical listeners for example probably need not apply (but then they're probably not using the Prime in any case). I think it is unlikely to be ideal.

The LCD-2 in comparison is a lot more sensitive than the Primes, the current LCD-2 is not actually that demanding power wise - it only needs 8mW to reach 100dB peaks (Audeze website has its impedance at 70ohm and sensitivity at 101dbSPL/mW).

EDIT: Should add that even my math is correct above, that does assume a linear power supply, given 720 into 8ohm and 35 into 600ohm does not look like it is entirely linear (by design I would think).

The pair of LCD-2 I own is an older set with 60 Ohm resistance and 92 dB efficiency, and there's plenty of headroom from the Mojo. The latest LCD-2 batches are more efficient than my set.

Oct 21, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #1,475 of 42,765
Time for a separate impressions thread, this one is getting too out of hand.

Since impressions, thus far, constitute a relatively small proportion of the posts in this thread, I don't personally see a seperate impressions thread as being necessary (yet!)

But my opinion is no more valid than yours
beerchug.gif

BTW, I am continually updating my 3rd post, on page 1, with links to worthwhile posts, to make it quick & easy for folks to find what they need to know.

Oct 21, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #1,476 of 42,765

Bit sleep deprived, so math might be off, but at 49ohm impedance and 90dBSPL/mW the Prime needs ~100mW to reach 110dB transient peaks, and 316mW to reach 115dB peaks (with the smaller former value being a reasonable target). The Mojo looks to be putting out about ~118mW into the Primes 49ohm load, so it might be adequate, but there may be little headroom volume-wise. Depends on the listeners preferred listening volumes a bit, as well as their taste in music - classical listeners for example probably need not apply (but then they're probably not using the Prime in any case). I think it is unlikely to be ideal.

The LCD-2 in comparison is a lot more sensitive than the Primes, the current LCD-2 is not actually that demanding power wise - it only needs 8mW to reach 100dB peaks (Audeze website has its impedance at 70ohm and sensitivity at 101dbSPL/mW).

EDIT: Should add that even my math is correct above, that does assume a linear power supply, given 720 into 8ohm and 35 into 600ohm does not look like it is entirely linear (by design I would think).

I am in San Francisco doing a Dave and Mojo event tomorrow at Audio High (yes I have fully finished audio path Dave with me too - first time its been on show) - so I have done some figures on a back of an envelope - Mojo should be capable of delivering more than 400 mW RMS into 49 ohms, not 118 mW so you will get more than 115dB SPL.

Rob

Oct 21, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #1,477 of 42,765
  I am in San Francisco doing a Dave and Mojo event tomorrow at Audio High (yes I have fully finished audio path Dave with me too - first time its been on show) - so I have done some figures on a back of an envelope - Mojo should be capable of delivering more than 400 mW RMS into 49 ohms, not 118 mW so you will get more than 115dB SPL.

Rob

No doubt about this.  It sounds punchier than my Sony PHA-3 in balanced mode for sure.

Oct 21, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #1,478 of 42,765
So the Mojo is as impressive as everyone has suggested: laptop, highest quality .wav files, optical output, Mojo, dt1770 = thoroughly impressive sound. Crystal clear with lovely tight base and a surprisingly large soundstage.

Oct 21, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #1,479 of 42,765

Rob

The power supply is non-linear then? By design the 720mW into 8ohm is limited?  I figured so, because if not limited then it would do less into 600ohm than the stated spec. Good to know! 400mW into 49ohms *and* 90dBSPL/mW sensitivity of the Prime should mean ample supply for most everything this side of the HE6/Abyss.

Oct 21, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #1,480 of 42,765
  No doubt about this.  It sounds punchier than my Sony PHA-3 in balanced mode for sure.

I have a Sony PHA-3 here (too much money in all of this stuff, lol), and yes, I agree with you, there is normally more with balanced but in this case the Mojo delivers. 

Oct 21, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #1,481 of 42,765
This thread moved a hundred pages since I grabbed some shut eye!

I have some brief comments about the two in my review (link in my sig).

I would summarize and say for at least one of my headphones I prefer the HA-1 amp section balanced out over the Mojo headphone out, but it's a sound signature thing not a capability thing. The Mojo is quite capable of driving a wiiiiiide range of headphones, which still has me scratching my head. Rob basically said that the analogue section on the Mojo is the same as the Hugo.

For the DAC the Mojo wins. Hands down. 'Nuf said.

I have been using my Pioneer MS1 and ESW10 Japan much of the time. The bass on either but especially the Pioneer is Super Duper. :^)

Oct 21, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #1,483 of 42,765

I have a Sony PHA-3 here (too much money in all of this stuff, lol), and yes, I agree with you, there is normally more with balanced but in this case the Mojo delivers. 

That extra does really kick in when paring with a hungry headphones like the Hifiman HEK.

Oct 21, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #1,484 of 42,765
  That extra does really kick in when paring with a hungry headphones like the Hifiman HEK.

Which one has a better DAC in your opinion PHA3 or Mojo? If I was looking to update from the Gee Out V2, I would consider either the Mojo or PHA-3 for a transportable set up. Although the Mojo is meant to be a portable device, 99% of the time it will be used with my macbook

Oct 21, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #1,485 of 42,765

Which one has a better DAC in your opinion PHA3 or Mojo? If I was looking to update from the Gee Out V2, I would consider either the Mojo or PHA-3 for a transportable set up. Although the Mojo is meant to be a portable device, 99% of the time it will be used with my macbook

Hold on tight for couple of days and I'll make that comparison for you.  I suspect the Mojo however.  The PHA-3 is still very impressive via its balanced headphone output.  The sound is warmer, more layered, but less punchy than the Mojo.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back