Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 21, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #13,876 of 42,765

Ordered 10 Ferrite cores to cover the micro usb cables. Let see how does the sound changes.
I know it will change for sure.

that's insane amount of chokes in a single line

Hey obviously i won't use all 10 of them on 1 cable, i will use 2 only , one on each side :)
Lol, that was a nice joke, i never thought of that angle :D

Mar 21, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #13,877 of 42,765
Hey obviously i won't use all 10 of them on 1 cable, i will use 2 only , one on each side :)
Lol, that was a nice joke, i never thought of that angle :D

do try out and let us know, it might have a fun discovery

Mar 21, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #13,879 of 42,765
I used two but on the mojo side. on the data source end there is not much use as the cable acts as rfi receiver . more than two won't make much of difference.

who knows, maybe too much choke might occur signal loss or something

Mar 21, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #13,880 of 42,765
Ok so after listening to a Mojo a while ago (I own a Hugo) I went out and finally bought one.

I am keeping both, as I used my Hugo a lot when outside the home, and the Mojo is much easier to carry around and charge. 

What they both have in common is their unique musicality, and bringing music to life.

That last part, bringing music to life is not as easy as it sounds. For me average or mediocre digital sources have this "dead" (no emotion in the music) quality to them, but not Hugo or Mojo. 

Mojo and Hugo have that "stressless" sound (i.e. no listening fatigue) that I have only heard from vinyl and live music. Listening to music on poor digital sources gets boring by comparison. Mojo sounds effortless, like the way a real musical instrument sounds.

The common feature of the Hugo and Mojo is the FPGA which allows much better digital filtering which then renders the transient of music properly. It is easily heard when playing tracks that contain Piano, and also with fast rhythmic music, it latches on to the beat of the music, in a way I have only previously heard with hi-end expensive Naim equipment.

They both sound similar with some differences (Mojo is warmer and Smoother - Hugo is open and more detailed).

Obviously the Hugo has some advantages at a higher price (RCA connectors - for audiophile cables), longer battery life, slightly (to my ears- but dependent on taste some might prefer Mojo) better sound quality, Bluetooth, last but not least the very good crossfeed function but I am quite happy with the mobility and portability of Mojo.

Mar 21, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #13,881 of 42,765
Ok so after listening to a Mojo a while ago (I own a Hugo) I went out and finally bought one.

I am keeping both, as I used my Hugo a lot when outside the home, and the Mojo is much easier to carry around and charge. 

What they both have in common is their unique musicality, and bringing music to life.

That last part, bringing music to life is not as easy as it sounds. For me average or mediocre digital sources have this "dead" (no emotion in the music) quality to them, but no Hugo or Mojo

Mojo and Hugo have that "stressless" sound (i.e. no listening fatigue) that I have only heard from vinyl and live music.

The common feature of the Hugo and Mojo is the FPGA which allows much better digital filtering which then renders the transient of music properly. It is easily heard when playing tracks that contain Piano, and also with fast rhythmic music, it latches on to the beat of the music, in a way I have only previously heard with hi-end expensive Naim equipment.

They both sound similar with some differences (Mojo is warmer and Smoother - Hugo is open and more detailed).

Obviously the Hugo has some advantages at a higher price (RCA connectors - for audiophile cables), longer battery life, slightly (to my ears- but dependent on taste some might prefer Mojo) better sound quality, Bluetooth, last but not least the very good crossfeed function but I am quite happy with the mobility and portability of Mojo.

Good impressions. If I may (only because I'm a stickler for details), it's not the FPGA chip itself that's the reason for the musicality. It's Rob's code using the flexible FPGA chip that creates the musicality. An FPGA chip is a blank canvas and can be used for many different applications. That plus the discrete pulse array DACs inside both Hugo and Mojo.

:beerchug:

Mar 21, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #13,882 of 42,765
just CHECKOUT chord mojo....

I really wanna know what headphone should I paired with.

I mainly loves EDM and current top songs (top charts)

Mar 21, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #13,883 of 42,765
  just CHECKOUT chord mojo....

I really wanna know what headphone should I paired with.

I mainly loves EDM and current top songs (top charts)

Mojo was great so far with any heaphones I tried with it. I wouldn't worry much about pairing. Just choose a pair to your liking and enjoy music.

Mar 21, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #13,884 of 42,765
agree - mojo pairs very well w all my headphones, in particular with the two 3 Audeze (el8, lcd 2 and x)

Mar 21, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #13,885 of 42,765
Make sense to pick one of these up to feed my WA2 and HD800's/T1's? 

Heard it at Canjam this weekend on a portable rig and it was amazing. 

Right now I'm using the Marantz DAC1

Mar 21, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #13,886 of 42,765

you don't need to feed it to anything as itself has enough driving power, connecting it to any other amp might be good or bad depending on perception

Mar 21, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #13,887 of 42,765
you don't need to feed it to anything as itself has enough driving power, connecting it to any other amp might be good or bad depending on perception

I guess I mean just using it as a "desktop" DAC to my WA2 tube amp. :)

Mar 21, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #13,888 of 42,765

I guess I mean just using it as a "desktop" DAC to my WA2 tube amp. :)

The additional amps down the chain is just to add "flavour" to the sound signature. It's fine to add as long as you're happy with the sound. You could try directly out of the Mojo to see if you like the sound signature, else adding the WA2 tube down the line is perfectly fine.

Mar 21, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #13,889 of 42,765

While I think it works great with many headphones such as HD6x0, I feel Mojo alone misses power to drive my T1 well

Mar 21, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #13,890 of 42,765
i have the same setup but the sellers i approach all insist i use a 75ohm coax of some sort,using a 3.5mm standard stereo instead of the 75ohms will yield what result? I'm curious and blurry about the cable requirements

I very much doubt the sellers have listened to Dx90 with Mojo using a short stereo 3.5 lead. I have a coax specially made and also a short stereo lead. Used through ie800s, SE846s and Tralucent 1plus2s. No difference detected :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back