Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 18, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #13,711 of 42,765
I don't know if the overcharge makes a difference or not. Either way being a FPGA i thought battery drain would be consistent amongst volume levels but probably the designers are the only ones qualified to answer that? Unless we know for sure it's probably safer to mention volume lvels when discussing battery life.

Mar 18, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #13,715 of 42,765
do you even know why?

Apparently it is because of the type of amp it is or something. Operates at full power, even if just on. Also, it will slowly drain the battery if off and not plugged in.

Sorry, can't help any further. My memory remember the conclusion of the debate (it was several pages if I recall correctly) but not the specifics.

Mar 18, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #13,718 of 42,765
When you wish to demo Mojo for someone, do you have a specific demo song that you feel best highlights its qualities?

If not, I offer this suggestion. 

The artist  did not come from me, but from a Mojo reviewer.  His description of Amber Rubarth inspired me to get the album 

"Sessions from the 17th Ward."

I loved it so much I ended up purchasing her others as well. 

Back to the song. 

I put on the headphones, Beyerdynamic T.1 (2nd gen) and play the Mojo using Amber's 8th song, "Tundra" from the aforementioned album, "Sessions from the 17th Ward" (Lossless) and simply watch their reactions. 

Thus far, every single listener has been blown away.  The instruments are so clear, and the soundstage so wide, that every person thus far has  quickly turned his or her head,  believing there was a knock on the door, rather than the sound of a drum or cajon.  

"Tundra" is a perfect song to highlight Mojo's magic.  

Plus, getting hooked on Amber Rubarth's music is rewarding, itself.  

My other "Mojo" song recommendation is from Tidal:  Larry Campbell and his wife, Teresa Williams. 

They do duets and they are beautiful.  I find one song in particular highlight not only the soundstage but the 'front center and depth' of the vocals, especially given the diversity of the high-low notes: 

"Down on My Knees"    with his rich lows with her deep highs are perfect.  If you want more straight duet:  "You're Running Wild" 

As to Album for Mojo demo, it is still Sgt. Pepper's which blows people away, though Dylan's "Blood on the Tapes" (New York Sessions) is a close second.  

It also means giving up the Mojo for 40 minutes or so!  

My wife is getting so hooked on the deep complexity of Mojo that I think she wants her own!  She even has her own "Mojo" song recommendation! 

Mar 18, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #13,719 of 42,765
Mojo operates at full power all the time because it is a classic a amp. Whatever power is not used is converted to heat. Therefore, volume is not relevant when discussing battery drain.

Mar 18, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #13,720 of 42,765
Hey can anyone with the Mojo and Noble K10s tell me if they hear noise when no music is playing and the mojo is on.

I hear a lot with my k10s, it sounds like active noise cancelling headphones. I would expected it to dead silent considering the output impedence.

Im trying to determine if this is normal operation or if somethings wrong with the Mojo.

They're 10 BA at <30 Ohms. Literally the only thing i could find online. No SPL stats. That's probably not much help haha.

I get about 1/4 the hiss with some cheap MEE single dynamic earbuds. 

The Noble K10 are quite sensitive even with the <30 Ohm impedance. I also get hiss with the K10 from the Mojo and need to turn the volume down about 5-6 clicks for my listening levels compared to the JH Angie (17 Ohm, 117 dB). I asked about it on the Noble thread and the reply was that the K10 are some where in the ballpark of 124 dB sensitivity.

Mar 18, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #13,722 of 42,765
The Noble K10 are quite sensitive even with the <30 Ohm impedance. I also get hiss with the K10 from the Mojo and need to turn the volume down about 5-6 clicks for my listening levels compared to the JH Angie (17 Ohm, 117 dB). I asked about it on the Noble thread and the reply was that the K10 are some where in the ballpark of 124 dB sensitivity.

Hey Relic. So my hiss issues doesn't actually vary with volume, its the same whether the Mojo is set to 5% volume or 95% volume. Think it's another issue? 

Mar 18, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #13,723 of 42,765
Hey Relic. So my hiss issues doesn't actually vary with volume, its the same whether the Mojo is set to 5% volume or 95% volume. Think it's another issue? 

Same with me. It's just that the K10 is very sensitive, and you hear hiss better than others. I also replied to you in the K10 thread. I've found the Mojo analogue output different than other implementations and the hiss doesn't change with volume increases. When the music is playing it doesn't bother me.

Mar 18, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #13,724 of 42,765
You probably are listening to DSD correctly, I had the same issue and mentioned it in the thread a few weeks ago and Johns Franks said it was more to do with the colours of the buttons not being an exact science and what should be white ends up being a slightly different colour (in my case the button turns to pink when fed DSF files)

So it probably is set up right
smily_headphones1.gif

which color you get?

Mar 18, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #13,725 of 42,765
Just ordered a Mojo 
smily_headphones1.gif

Bought some HD650's last month and have been very much enjoying them direct from a laptop [I'm a newbie]. I was looking for a DAC and amp but thought that getting a Mojo would give me the flexibility to use it via a PC in desktop mode for most of the time but also use it out and about occasionally.

Also it'll give me the flexibility to buy an amp down the line (Cavalli or Feliks Audio Elise maybe 
smily_headphones1.gif
 )... and also then buy some IEM's.... yeeees, I think I agree with the previous poster about the Mojo being a gateway drug to further spending in this industry !

#Mobility - in terms of using it out and about what are my options? I currently listen to an iPhone 4S with Soundmagic IE10's. I know that this won't work directly as there is no Lightening connector but can I listen at a lower quality through the output headphone jack of the iPhone? Or do I need to buy a new transport? Take my money.... 
smily_headphones1.gif

#Cables - I was just going to try and use the various USB-micro cables that I have kicking around (from Kindle/Garmin etc) - would these work or should I look at getting something better? 
I noticed a 'Audioquest Forest USB Micro Digital Audio Cable' for £25 from a uk based online cable place - any good? An improvement?

Anyway - very much looking forward to receiving it.

Congrats!

For the input you can't use the iPhone headphone jack because the Mojo only can receive a digital input. The whole point of purchasing Chord's DACs is to use the outstanding DAC. There are one cable solutions you can purchase instead of picking up the Apple CCK. Check the third post for links regarding iDevice connections. I prefer a DAP as a source, and I'm waiting until someone makes an audiophile transport.

Any USB cable should be fine as long as it's a well made cable that can transfer data (some USB cables are power only).

Edit: Chord is also planning on an add-on accessory that will have an SD slot with a small screen to source files for the Mojo, but that's going to be months before it's released.
Edited by x RELIC x - Today at 8:27 am

The question of USB cables comes up occasionally here.  “Wirecutter” did a well regarded piece last year that I believe can help those who would like  to know more about USB Cables.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-micro-usb-cable/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back