Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 14, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #13,246 of 42,765
  Riddle me this...

Why is this 883+ page thread situated in the Portable Source Gear section and NOT the Portable Amps section? Mojo technically isn't a source, correct?

I've always wondered that but was too scared to ask
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #13,247 of 42,765
Lol to be fair red/red should only occur at 38-39 clicks from zero, the reds at 6-7 clicks should be red/pink then change to pink/red but its difficult to see the exact colours.

The thing is it is very clear up close but at home I leave my mojo sittin on top of my power amp with a long headphone extension cable!

It a sits on a polished black RCA selector for the power amp so I can see th charge light easy when it's right side up.

I'll have to take a picture sometime. It looks great :)

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #13,250 of 42,765

Pretty sure a transport would be the source, IE where the music starts from
wink.gif

The source is where the d/a conversion takes place in the audio world. Source is your dac, transport is you phone or dap or whatever is providing the source with data. Sounds weird I know, but that is how the audio world defines these things.

Edit: I have also seen people use the term source to include the file type (like flac for example), but not always.

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #13,251 of 42,765
Head-fi has a portable source gear section and portable amp section but nothing really isolated for devices like Oppo HA-2 and Mojo so they end up where the thread creator plants the seed. It's a good decision Mojo being in the portable source gear section, lots of traffic in this forum.

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #13,252 of 42,765
  The source is where the d/a conversion takes place in the audio world. Source is your dac, transport is you phone or dap or whatever is providing the source with data. Sounds weird I know, but that is how the audio world defines these things.

Edit: I have also seen people use the term source to include the file type (like flac for example), but not always.

I agree if we were just talking dac but when its got an amp as well then I wouldn't agree, if you had an integrated amp at home that had a dac built in you wouldn't call it the source would you ?

Head-fi has a portable source gear section and portable amp section but nothing really isolated for devices like Oppo HA-2 and Mojo so they end up where the thread creator plants the seed. It's a good decision Mojo being in the portable source gear section, lots of traffic in this forum.

You are probably right, its just nice to talk about something other than cables in this thread
beyersmile.png

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #13,253 of 42,765

I agree if we were just talking dac but when its got an amp as well then I wouldn't agree, if you had an integrated amp at home that had a dac built in you wouldn't call it the source would you ?

You are probably right, its just nice to talk about something other than cables in this thread
beyersmile.png

Personally, I would yes. I think a DAC has a bigger influence on the sq than an amp - personal bias. Anyway - you could call it schiit if you want cuz I will still love my Mojo source hahahaha

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #13,254 of 42,765

Pretty sure a transport would be the source, IE where the music starts from
wink.gif

I am with you on this one, the transport can also be the source, the term transport came from dedicated CD players that provided the source, i.e. the digital signal that was connected to a separate DAC.

Anything that provides the digital signal is the source and that can also be your DAP, cellphone, etc. depending on the configuration.

The Mojo is a DAC/Amp and is not a source!

I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong!
tongue.gif

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #13,256 of 42,765
Thanks to those who advised to give Tidal a shot; I am enjoying it and it has more variety than I anticipated.  I have the 30 day free trial, erroneously going through Apple ($27 v $20) but can re join, a new, directly from Tidal's own website next month, or a similar service. 

This is my first foray into higher resolution music and obviously with Mojo and T1, my ears are in good hands.  Yeah, that works. 

Is there anything of higher quality than Tidal I should consider to see what Mojo and T1 can do?

I am also thinking, based upon the CEO's interview, that the A/B testing between lower quality lossy and lossless will have dramatically different results after a month of listening, as my brain acclimates to interpreting data.  This makes sense to me.  

Finding portable headphones ain't gonna be easy; way too many choices and far too limited budget.  

My reference point, too, makes getting advice tricky:  Fiio EX1.  I enjoy them but I do not know what to compare them to yet.  Since advised here, I have to expand my budget, but my desire remains the same:  soundstage and definition.   Thanks, again.  

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #13,257 of 42,765
Why would music sound so much better coming from my Mac mini to mojo than iPhone iPad to mojo
I would think that until there is a dac should sound the same
Please someone explain to me

I don't know. 

I am using Macbook pro.  It is new, but designed 2012, and I am using iPhone 6.

Mojo is beautiful with both; I cannot discern difference.  

What are you hearing to make you write, "so much better"?  Perhaps this would be a good starting point. 

Mar 14, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #13,258 of 42,765
Why would music sound so much better coming from my Mac mini to mojo than iPhone iPad to mojo
I would think that until there is a dac should sound the same
Please someone explain to me

I'm assuming here but could be due to the following:

1) You're using optical out of the Mac Mini vs Lightning + CCK to USB

or

2) You're using USB out of the Mac Mini vs Lightning + CCK to USB

Either way, if you're hearing difference like night and day, then I would hazard a guess that the Lightning + CCK connector is the limiting factor which is causing the difference.

Mar 14, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #13,259 of 42,765
  Thanks to those who advised to give Tidal a shot; I am enjoying it and it has more variety than I anticipated.  I have the 30 day free trial, erroneously going through Apple ($27 v $20) but can re join, a new, directly from Tidal's own website next month, or a similar service. 

This is my first foray into higher resolution music and obviously with Mojo and T1, my ears are in good hands.  Yeah, that works. 

Is there anything of higher quality than Tidal I should consider to see what Mojo and T1 can do?

I am also thinking, based upon the CEO's interview, that the A/B testing between lower quality lossy and lossless will have dramatically different results after a month of listening, as my brain acclimates to interpreting data.  This makes sense to me.  

Finding portable headphones ain't gonna be easy; way too many choices and far too limited budget.  

My reference point, too, makes getting advice tricky:  Fiio EX1.  I enjoy them but I do not know what to compare them to yet.  Since advised here, I have to expand my budget, but my desire remains the same:  soundstage and definition.   Thanks, again.  

For a decent mid-fi IEM, I might suggest the FLC 8S @ approx USD 330 from www.lendmeurears.com
It's a hybrid IEM with both Balance Armature and Dynamic Driver. It also comes with different filter tuning options for you to play around with the signature. Personally I find that it's a very versatile IEM. To my ears, the soundstage is quite good. Not super wide but has nice depth. Depending on the filter selections; on my current set up, it has a very nice bass response and texture with slightly forward mids. Separation is quite good with decent placement.
Unfortunately demo outside of Singapore is not readily available however, there may be a tour of the unit going around but it's dependant on your location though.

Mar 14, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #13,260 of 42,765
Haven't heard the FLC8 but I've heard a lot of good about them. not for those who don't like fiddling around though. I would personally recommend anything in the Aurisonics Bravo series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back