Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 9, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #12,901 of 42,765
Also depends on the tracks levels. Adel tech may help as well, not sure in the long run. I used to listen louder than I do now and it takes some discipline and getting used to but in the end I enjoy my music so much more for not shouting at me. I can actually focus more on the nuances than when it's all blasted at me.

Edit: Just for reference, barely double yellow (44-45 clicks from zero) is what I listen at with the LCD-2.

What colors are you usually in with your Ether C's? For modern stuff that's really compressed I'll rarely get out of the red or just into orange.  For stuff with average DR I'll be in the orange/yellow area.  And then there's the rare recording with high DR where I'll get up to green. 

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #12,903 of 42,765
What colors are you usually in with your Ether C's? For modern stuff that's really compressed I'll rarely get out of the red or just into orange.  For stuff with average DR I'll be in the orange/yellow area.  And then there's the rare recording with high DR where I'll get up to green. 

I'm about in that range as well (or slightly higher) with the ETHER C's with tracks at moderate recorded levels. I don't have much modern DR compressed music.

Mar 9, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #12,905 of 42,765
It would be nice if there was some estimate provided on the SD card Module.

And what if they couldn't complete the module in that estimated time ? How it will impact the brand value and image ?
If you are the CEO, then will you give the estimate and put everyone in pressure to complete and compromise with the quality ?

Or you won't give the estimation and complete the work with highest quality, even if takes more time (which you don't know while making the prototypes).

Now you are the CEO, you can share your opinion :)

Mar 9, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #12,906 of 42,765
I'm awful impressed at this little guy's ability to take in HEAVY bass EQ and not distort. crazy.

i'll have to spend some more time with it but it's pretty impressive off the bat!

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #12,907 of 42,765
mojo sounds much better when playing from a pc with roon using wasapi, i dont know how but its definitely better imo. more detail, bigger soundstage, highs sound so clear!

but when playing from a smartphone, boomy bass and everything seems squashed together, a clustrophobic effect.

im baffled so if somone can explain whats going on? 
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #12,908 of 42,765
  mojo sounds much better when playing from a pc with roon using wasapi, i dont know how but its definitely better imo. more detail, bigger soundstage, highs sound so clear!

but when playing from a smartphone, boomy bass and everything seems squashed together, a clustrophobic effect.

im baffled so if somone can explain whats going on? 
biggrin.gif

using native output or with UAPP?

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #12,909 of 42,765

im baffled so if somone can explain whats going on? :D

This post from Rob might explain what you're hearing.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/11340#post_12341302

I often think about this issue as yin-yang (dark-bright), and a good product has this in balance - but what the correct balance is does depend somewhat on taste!

So yin - dark - is in technical terms, happens with zero noise floor modulation. Conventional DAC's have enormous levels of noise floor modulation. This means noise (bright hiss) pumps up and down with the music signal, and the brain can't separate a dark sounding instrument from the noise floor modulation - so smooth sounding instruments become bright. With Chord DAC's, including Mojo, there is no measurable noise floor modulation, so it innately sounds smooth and warm.

But its possible to artificially give the appearance of more yin by contouring the sound. For example, add a lot of second harmonic distortion, and it sounds thicker and darker - but its an illusion, as everything sounds soft. You can also add LF errors too, to give the impression of more weight to the sound - adding electrolytic caps, or letting the ref circuitry amplitude modulate the output from the signal envelope. Indeed, a lot of designers rely on this, as they do not have the abilities (stuck with using chip DAC's) to solve noise floor modulation, so have to use tricks to balance the sound.

On the yang side, natural brightness comes from two sides. First is transparency, and this resolves into detail resolution, and this is about how accurate the DAC/amp can resolve very small signals accurately. With my work on the reference DAC Dave, I discovered that there is no limit to how accurate the small signal needs to be - the smallest possible amplitude error is very audible, particularly in terms of sound-stage depth. Transparency is a complex issue, but comes down to two main issues - simplicity of the analogue section (each component degrades small signal linearity) and the performance of the noise shaper (before anybody says ladder DAC's these are awful for small signal linearity). Now Mojo has an extremely simple output stage - only one active stage and two resistors and two capacitors in the direct signal path, and this is done for transparency. On the noise shaper, it has 1000 times more resolution than conventional noise shapers, as the noise shaper runs at 104 MHz, not the usual 6 MHz of the best chip DAC's.

The second part of yang is timing. Now digital audio is sampled data, but the original signal in the ADC is a continuous signal, and the job of the DAC is to convert the sampled signal into a continuous analogue signal with the timing of the original signal in the ADC perfectly preserved. Now I talk a lot about reconstituting timing, and have had requests to show the problem. So here is a simple illustration of the problem:

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

Now this is a bit of a simplification - the burst signal is not bandwidth limited, but it serves to illustrate the problem of timing inaccuracies. Now how do these timing errors sound like? When the brain comes across timing errors, it can't deal with it - it can't make sense of the music. And when the brain can't process the signal, you then can't hear the transients. It is a bit like putting a picture out of focus, blurring the edges. What this does audibly is to make transients sound soft, and when one improves timing accuracies then the brain can perceive the starting and stopping of notes accurately - so things sound sharp and fast - more yang. Now what is curious about timing errors, is that there again is almost no limit to how small they need to be - before Dave, I used to think in terms of uS errors, now its definitely nS as being important - extremely small timing errors have a noticeable subjective musical impact. 

Also it is very possible to use distortions to give impressions of good sound - use slew related noise floor modulation and you get the impression of good timing resolution - but its entirely false. The problem with using distortions like this, although it can sound superficially impressive - is that everything always sound the same. But the major problem with this approach is simply listening fatigue - I can listen to Mojo for 10 hours and still want more. It also illustrates the design nightmare of listening tests - is the sound quality "improvement" real or just more distortion or aberration? You have to be extremely careful on how one assesses sound quality.  

So too conclude - Mojo can sound both rich and dark (immeasurable noise floor modulation) and very fast and dynamic (much lower timing errors) all at the same time. That's why we get so many different reactions to the sound of Mojo - some saying its rich and smooth, some saying its fast and dynamic - and the truth is both observations are correct.

Rob

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #12,911 of 42,765
Earlier this morning while doing some shopping, I was giving an outing to my Mojo and AK100 combo, decided to use my Finder X1's as they are small and unintrusive pair of IEM's that I can quickly pop in and out as required.

I always seem to adjust the volume by feel and by "ear" with the Mojo in my pocket and adjusting blindly.

But I had to smile on my face when I got home and removed my stack from my jacket pocket only to see this..

Can you guess who or what was playing?

Yep Miles Davis......

"Kind of Blue" 
beyersmile.png

I could have sworn Miles was right in front of me as I picked up my milk, you could hear every intake of breath, along with the Saxophone player just over my left shoulder with a mellow counter balance to Miles' trumpet.

L3000.gif

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #12,912 of 42,765
Earlier this morning while doing some shopping, I was giving an outing to my Mojo and AK100 combo, decided to use my Finder X1's as they are small and unintrusive pair of IEM's that I can quickly pop in and out as required.

I always seem to adjust the volume by feel and by "ear" with the Mojo in my pocket and adjusting blindly.

But I had to smile on my face when I got home and removed my stack from my jacket pocket only to see this..

Can you guess who or what was playing?

Yep Miles Davis......

"Kind of Blue" :beyersmile:

I could have sworn Miles was right in front of me as I picked up my milk, you could hear every intake of breath, along with the Saxophone player just over my left shoulder with a mellow counter balance to Miles' trumpet.

:L3000:  

I love that album, and Iam not a big jazz fan.

Hey his much did you pay for the interconnect and what was the wait like ?

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #12,914 of 42,765
I love that album, and Iam not a big jazz fan.

Hey his much did you pay for the interconnect and what was the wait like ?

The one in the picture above was from Moon Audio and cost $127.33 which is approx £89 "BUT"
angry_face.gif
import fees and duties set me back another £32

​The other interconnect which I had preferred to use until it went faulty was my Sysconcept (the smaller cable below) that set me back $58.50  approx. £41 but again with approx £25 of import duties 
angry_face.gif
angry_face.gif

Moon Audio connected to Mojo
Sysconcept not connected

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #12,915 of 42,765
If you're seeing the blue lights when listening to sensitive IEMs like that then you clearly like your music loud.

Great album though.

I had this connected at the time

Etymotic ER4P to ER4S (3.5MM plug)resistor adaptor 
​75Ohm impedance added

Users who are viewing this thread

Back