Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 10, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #12,916 of 42,765
Anyone have much luck with sourcing cheap very short optical cable for ak100 and mojo.

Chord should really make some or at least include the cable, systemax charges a bomb for such cables.

Chord design, manufacture, and market the Mojo, including a margin for their dealers, for an all-in total of $599. This is for a device which brings levels of portable DAC performance to the marketplace which have NEVER previously existed, at even double that price.

iRiver, on the other hand, expect customers of their highest-performance DAPs to pay the dealer alone a margin of approximately $1000, let alone iRiver's own excessive profit margins on the hardware itself.

.... we were fighting every penny to get to the magic sub four hundred pounds. This was a very very tough thing to do,it's a price performance issue. That had we'd failed we would not have been able to address a wider audience. You see it our intention to bring more non audiophiles into this business this will help the whole industry not just us.

Do you really think it is fair to expect Chord to also start making optical cables, at their own expense, to bundle with the Mojo?

Mar 10, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #12,917 of 42,765
Anyone have much luck with sourcing cheap very short optical cable for ak100 and mojo.

Chord should really make some or stleast include the cable, systemax charges a bomb for such cables.

My opinion of the Sysconcept cables that it's a value for such a short, quality cable that can transmit 24/192 over optical. With optical cables I wouldn't want cheap plastic fibre optic strands sending my signal and getting dropouts. I really don't think there is a less expensive option for a cable this short that can pass 24/192.

Mar 10, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #12,918 of 42,765

Got UAPP running on S4 mini working fine with mojo, also got "not supported" 200gb sd card working too
biggrin.gif

Never worry about what Maximum size manufacturers state (OK maybe one should, but I don't)
My AK100 was stated to max out at 32Gb when released, probably because that was possibly the largest sized Micro SD card available at the time of release, I have managed to use a 200Gb with no problem. 
I think and someone will correct me if I'm wrong, that there is a SD standard as long as the card meets that standard it will be readable by the Android Device 

Confirm Compatibility

Before inserting your SDXC memory card into your device, confirm the device is compatible with the SDXC standard by locating an SDXC logo on the device or referring to the device's user manual or manufacturer information. Remember:
backwards-compatibility.gif

Understanding Backwards Compatibility

1. SDXC memory cards must only be used with SDXC devices.
  2. SDXC devices can use SD, SDHC and SDXC memory cards.
  3. SDHC memory cards can be used with SDHC and SDXC devices.
  4. SDHC devices can use both SD and SDHC memory cards.
  5. SD devices can only use SD memory cards.

EDIT: I'm one of those fearless pioneers, go where no man has gone before (OK not strictly true) but I find there is not much to lose personally, because if the SD card doesn't work in my portable device I'm sure I could find other uses for it, cameras etc
biggrin.gif

EDIT 2: Almost forgot YMMV

Mar 10, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #12,919 of 42,765
My opinion of the Sysconcept cables that it's a value for such a short, quality cable that can transmit 24/192 over optical. With optical cables I wouldn't want cheap plastic fibre optic strands sending my signal and getting dropouts. I really don't think there is a less expensive option for a cable this short that can pass 24/192.

I agree, normally. I had to resort back to the Moon Audio as my Sys Concept is doing just that. It is currently unusable
frown.gif

Mar 10, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #12,920 of 42,765
Finally using it in DAC mode with my Project Polaris for my stereo. Maybe when I get home from work and have more time I'll try connecting it directly to the power amp inputs and see how it sounds.

It's pretty surprisingly nice and smooth.

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #12,921 of 42,765
I've got a similiar question, only lets widen the net a bit! If not the ipod clasic, then - Is there any other carrier other than ak100 you guys suggest with the mojo? The old ak100 is sluggish and could be slimmer (like an apple product is), especially for triple-stacking with a pure 2 like I intend to...

My ideal DAP in size, price and sound quality is the iBasso DX90 running short coax. I have also used Fiio X5 but a bit heavier.

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #12,924 of 42,765
Hallo, I have just received a Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable, it is wheel made but relative stiff, hence I am concerned about fatigue damage on the USB input on the mojo, is it something to worry about? I am thinking about when I move the iPad and the cable is connected.

Is there a recommended USB cable to use with the mojo?

Kind regards

Morten

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #12,926 of 42,765
Here is a question for some of you that use EQ, with all my previous DACs I would boost my EQ very heavily on the sub bass (up to 12db) and would turn down the gain on foobar to make up for all the boosting so it did not cut out.

With the Mojo I am finding it is capable of taking this much EQ while leaving the gain unchanged, but the bass will drown out the rest of the mix regardless of where foobar's gain is, so the Mojo is processing the EQ'd signal differently. Is this just how the Mojo works? should I be using less sub bass EQ if I want to achieve the same effect?

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #12,927 of 42,765
Hallo, I have just received a Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable, it is wheel made but relative stiff, hence I am concerned about fatigue damage on the USB input on the mojo, is it something to worry about?

Potentially, yes, you are right to be cautious about damaging the USB input on the Mojo (or any other similar product).

For the same reason, Rob Watts and John Franks request that people do not use the adapters shown in this post, as they also may exert too much leverage upon Mojos sockets.

Is there a recommended USB cable to use with the mojo?

No particular single cable is recommended, but you will find some viable options in the 3rd post of this thread, if you look.

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #12,929 of 42,765
Any heavy cable should be used with caution with devices like these. Generally you do not want a super thick or stiff cable for microUSB because it relies on those itty bitty pins to stay hooked in place, so you don't want to stress those too much either.

I've actually found many on eBay from China that were a nice match of not being too thin but still being flexible and light. They are my go-to cables. They don't have a brand, but the bag they came in which is long gone did. They are grey, gold connectors and have nice ridges on the cables, kind of like Belkin USB cables from the late 90's and early 2000's in the USB 1.1 days.

Anyway...  I thought about buying a Motorola Droid Mini just to use as a DAP. It's really close to the Mojo's dimensions. I might have to get a second data plan just for my DAP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back