Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 9, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #12,871 of 42,765
Did all of you charge it for 10 hours before testing it?
mad.gif

I bought mine as new second hand. It wasn't charged for 10 hrs, as it has turned out. Apparently this was the reason I couldn't get more than 5-6 hrs of playing time out of my Mojo. Once I charged it for 10+ hrs, the playing time is around 8 hrs or more. (Using Fidelio X2)
So, what I am saying, there is not much to worry about. But make sure, in the first couple of weeks you leave it on charge overnight once.

Mar 9, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #12,872 of 42,765
Yeah i know, but the whole point of the "minimum 10 hours" for the first charge is to condition the battery.

I don't know the specifics of the Mojo battery but with Li-Ion batts a good practice is to let them stay plugged in for a long time after they complete their initial charge to be able to use the battery's maximum possible capacity. The first discharge of the battery "marks" the maximum capacity of that battery from then on, so I don't want to take any risks.

Sadly I am going to have to be patient though, or I'll always be doubting the battery has some potential capacity walled off.. I am letting it charge while I'm at work and then I'll leave it plugged in when I get home before I go out to do errands so it'll be all set and I'll have peace of mind the battery is in top shape when I'm back in time to listen to it for the first time :)

All that said... I'm still a bit bothered about my messed-up serial # sticker and can't decide if I should contact to get it exchanged for that reason :/

(doesn't make it look that messed up, it's really just that corner, it's not a great photo though, I know)

Relax, your unit is new, jjst smooth it down ir take it off and save it.

Mar 9, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #12,874 of 42,765
The P7 is a very good closed head phone for the price. If you would like to keep that sound, but on a higher scale, stretch the budget and go for the TH-900. It can be had for about $1000 with the recent release of MK2. The P7 and TH-900 MK2 are two of my favorites in the stable. If you can't stretch the budget, try the THX-00.

Thanks James, so the th600 is not an upgrade form the P7?

Br. Morten

Mar 9, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #12,875 of 42,765
How can I have emi/RF interference in only my left CIEM, for the past few hours I've only had it in my left ciem, right completely silent.

Mar 9, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #12,876 of 42,765
Does the 10 hour initial charge time include leaving it plugged in after the charging light went out?  Is one play out to almost empty advised?

From the interview, I get the sense that the battery is going to be something quite durable and somewhat immune to any minor errors we may make. 

on the lighter side, I saw a used one going for $550 on eBay, with almost $50 for shipping, but even better:  

You can always skip the authorized dealers selling for $599 w free shipping and go to the US Amazon where a host of Japanese sellers have them up for $700 to $1100!  

Mar 9, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #12,877 of 42,765
  Does the 10 hour initial charge time include leaving it plugged in after the charging light went out?

Do you mean that if the white charging light goes out in, for example, 6 hours, do you need to keep it plugged-in for a further 4 hours?

If that is what you mean, then the answer is no. Once the white charging light goes out, you're done, and that's it. 100% ready for use.

.... on the lighter side, I saw a used one going for $550 on eBay, with almost $50 for shipping ....

LOL - yeah, funny you should mention that - there's a 2-month-old one in the Head-fi classifieds for $565, right now.

So, basically, that's equivalent to 2 months use for $35
blink.gif

Mar 9, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #12,878 of 42,765
  Does the 10 hour initial charge time include leaving it plugged in after the charging light went out?  Is one play out to almost empty advised?

From the interview, I get the sense that the battery is going to be something quite durable and somewhat immune to any minor errors we may make. 

on the lighter side, I saw a used one going for $550 on eBay, with almost $50 for shipping, but even better:  

You can always skip the authorized dealers selling for $599 w free shipping and go to the US Amazon where a host of Japanese sellers have them up for $700 to $1100!  

Usually I envy prices in USA, not this time. :)
In UK Mojo costs $567 new anywhere.
I bought mine not used second hand for $490.

Mar 9, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #12,880 of 42,765
Hello all, first post (after reading all the previous!).  I've been lucky enough to have had my mojo since November last year (Apollo Hifi in Oz, excellent service). I have a wide ranging music collection - favourite band of all time is The Wedding Present, love indie, punk, goth, hip hop (Roots Manuva & Company Flow as stand outs), techno (from Surgeon/Jeff Mills to Orbital) and even some French Chanson thrown in for good measure!

All the following is my opinion only, of course.

I am using a Fiio X3 2nd gen as transport, feeding the mojo via Moon Audio's excellent cable (though I am liking the look of the Dyson right angled cable).

In portable set up I have been using Oppo PM3 (with Moon Audio Blue Dragon cable), JH5pro (with ALO tinsel cable) and Westone 3.  The mojo has increased my listening pleasure with all 3 of these headphones.  It's very difficult to stop listening to my Oppo's in this set up.  I was enamoured with them before but I never experienced the smile inducing, emotional closeness with the music that the mojo brings. Old tracks have come out of retirement and had new life breathed into them. It's not the detail retrieval, it's what the mojo does with that detail.  Everything I listen to has musicality in spades through the mojo.  The Fiio X3 is a decent player on its own, if a little lacking in weight in the bass, however, it cannot compare to the mojo (IMO). I can only agree with the praise already heaped on this tiny device. 4 months in and it's only getting better.

I also have the Fiio/mojo combo attached to my home 2 channel set up - Rega Brio R amp, Orpheus Audeo 1.5 speakers - when at home. I have never heard this system sounding so alive. My Musical Fidelity V-Dac 2 was in use before the mojo but is now unplugged.  I haven't compared the two yet as i have not had the desire to remove the mojo. I will get around to the comparison, maybe.

All my audio purchases are based on bringing me closer to my music and if it does not increase that emotional attachment over what I already own, I do not purchase.  The mojo is easily one of the very best audio purchases I have ever bought. Chord have one very happy customer in me.

Welcome to the world of Mojo.
Like you I LOVE the Wedding Present. Seamonsters has been one of the CDs I use when auditioning any hi-fi purchse for 20 years.
If you haven't already, listen to Dalliance to see what magic Mojo works on it. The mumbled vocals are audible over the thrashing guitars and the drums sound great. I never buy anything that can't make this track sound good, and Mojo is as good as anything I've listened to.

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #12,882 of 42,765
You know I really think Mython has the patience of a saint after reading the same posts over and over on this thread :cool:

The battery doesn't need charging for 10 hours, it only needs charging until the light goes out

Where did the needing 10 hours to condition the battery come from, it's wrong !!!!!

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #12,883 of 42,765
Do we know what type of battery is inside the Mojo? If not, are we assume it's a Li-ion?

If we are assuming it is a Li-ion then yes, there is benefit to leaving it charged past when the light goes out. It is well established that Li-ion batteries should be left to charge for extra time to be sure the battery is truly charged to its full capacity.

Again, this only applies for the very first charge you ever make on the device, and the moment you turn the power button "on", is there the battery's "memory" begins and any possible capacity remaining is effectively walled off. This does not necessarily apply to non Lithium Ion batteries.

If the Mojo does not use Li-ion batteries then you may disregard what I'm posting here, however, the fact that the designers of the Mojo say on the box "minimum 10 hours", it sounds to me like they're using Li-ion batteries and instructing people to do the first charge for the proper amount of time without getting overly technical, which is exactly what I'm doing right now.

So if you didn't wait 10+ hours before turning it on, or you used it while doing the initial charge, yes your Mojo still works fine and will continue to, but if you get 8 hours of use, maybe you would have gotten 9 if you had charged it 10+ hours before turning it on as instructed.

If the possibility of squeezing that extra little bit out of the battery isn't worth not being able use your Mojo within 10-12 hours of getting it, then by all means go ahead and use your Mojo soon as you get it. I personally would be bothered every day that maybe my battery wasn't as perfect as it could be so I'm doing the 10+ hours before powering up.

*deep breath*

Once again.... this is all just general discussion of proper battery conditioning techniques. Hopefully someone from Chord will pop in and say what kind of battery it uses for those of us who care. This is already way longer of a post than it needed to be :)

John and Rob have both addressed the issue about the 10 hours stated on the box in this thread many times, they put that on there in case any units had sat on the shelf in the store for a long period (some chance) and the battery had gone completely flat, the battery I believe is a Lithium Polymer not Lithium Ion !

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #12,884 of 42,765
John and Rob have both addressed the issue about the 10 hours stated on the box in this thread many times, they put that on there in case any units had sat on the shelf in the store for a long period (some chance) and the battery had gone completely flat, the battery I believe is a Lithium Polymer not Lithium Ion !

The suggestion is right there on the back of the box.

Li-Po doesn't have the same "memory" effect as Li-Ion if that is what is in fact what is inside the Mojo.

Apologies I didn't find that they had posted in here on this issue. A thread as active as this can be a little difficult to search.

Well at least all you guys now know more than you wanted to about Lithium Ion now :)

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #12,885 of 42,765
The Mojo has a lithium Polymer battery.

True, Lithium ion batteries benefit from a first charge to full without interruption as a best practice, but Chord has said numerous times that the first 10 hour charge is more of a precaution for units sitting on a shelf for long periods of time with drained batteries. I'm not sure if the first charge rule applies to Mojo's Lithium Polymer battery. Also, Chord had the battery made for the Mojo with some new battery tech, however, they have been pretty tight lipped about what exactly the new battery tech is. An expected life of 10 or more years is what they say, and that's certainly remarkable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back