Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 8, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #12,722 of 42,765
Thanks, Bestula.  

Stevie Wonder's "I Wish"...from "Songs in the Key of Life" 

holy *(&*(&&^

"Born to Run" makes me want to open the car top in March in Maine!

I don't have the audiophile linguistics but the music is "alive" in a way I have not heard before.  It's a 'bass test' song for me and next up, before I do the classical tests is "Sgt. Peppers" in its entirety. 

I did show a bit of patience for a few hours of charging, but now am charging/playing simultaneously.  I've got lots of typing to do so I should get through the entire album.

As I learned from another thread, A/B testing is best listening for a full hour or so, rather than a song.  Thus far, however, the stark difference has been easy to identify. 

Mar 8, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #12,723 of 42,765
Agreed, its possibly  USB charger issue which is easily resolved. I just wanted to clarify that I should be able to use it constantly plugged in to the mains supply (via USB) and have it not go flat. .If that is the case I will source a better quality USB supply of a suitable current and try again.

Mar 8, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #12,724 of 42,765

I also use Mojo as desktop DAC. It is constantly plugged in to wall charge. I connect the data USB only when I am at my PC. Never had any issues. Chord has clarified several times, it has no effect on battery if it is constantly plugged in.
Interesting issue is yours. I didn't come across anything like this since I read the thread. (2+ months.) I wonder what the trigger is. It is not necessarily your Mojo's fault but who knows.

As desktop DAC, do you use the amp in Mojo, or just as DAC?

Mar 8, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #12,725 of 42,765
some of favorite albums on mojo, bela fleck- drive, 4 generations of miles, portrait of Cuba, Martin Taylor and Steve howe- masterpiece guitar, fiona joy signature solos, eric bibb - spirit and the blues . these are the albums once start listening on mojo, you just can't stop.

Mar 8, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #12,726 of 42,765
Hi guys if i want to connect the MOJO with a good headphone amp , what can i do ? By line out with à mini jack RCA câble . Do you think Sound quality Will be better ? Thanks in advance .

Mar 8, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #12,727 of 42,765
  Agreed, its possibly  USB charger issue which is easily resolved. I just wanted to clarify that I should be able to use it constantly plugged in to the mains supply (via USB) and have it not go flat. .If that is the case I will source a better quality USB supply of a suitable current and try again.

I am using Anker PowerPort 5 and have it on for over 12 hours a day as a desktop DAC. Always fully charged.

Mar 8, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #12,728 of 42,765
  Just to clarify. Charging is automatic. If you are playing and charging at the same time, with a fully charged battery, the charger will supply enough current to balance the consumption used by Mojo, so no net current into the battery. If its fully charged and the unit is off, the charger will go off. The charger will re charge automatically when the battery voltage falls to 8.2v (off at 8.4v) so keeping the charger connected will ensure a full charge.

Rob 

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #12,730 of 42,765
  Is there any chance in future Mojo will support apps like Youtube and Play Music on Android ? is it possible to update firmware on Mojo or will it require resend to factory?

Iphones already do this, it's an android issue. I can get youtube and stitcher and bandcamp to play through mojo but not without going through the native android upscaling.  UAPP allows for albums you own to be played back without the upscaling thus you get the correct sample rate indication light on mojo.

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #12,731 of 42,765

I am very interested in this too. Mine does odd stuff. Charging and playing takes many hours; approximately eighteen hours. However after about six hours in, the charging switches off and reverts to battery. I have to monitor it and switch off and on the charging, so it continues.

Anyway I think the immediate solution to your predicament is this. Once the unit is charged say left overnight. Next day when you come to play it. Switch off and on the charger. Start playing music. If necessary switch off and on the charger again after starting to play.

You will most likely find that this works, as I do. Basically at some point I think you have to start with a fresh charging cycle. Once you do and the battery is full and charging sorted, it works fine. The charging light will alternate between blue and white in intervals of about ten or fifteen minutes.

My set up at the moment works like this. I use Mojo as a desktop DAC. Mojo and PC are on the same extension adaptor running from wall socket to under my desk. When I switch on at the wall, the PC can be powered and the Mojo charger is active on the Mojo. I switch on the Mojo whenever I want, with my speakers too. It never fails to work and stay on. 

Sometimes I allow the battery to discharge to keep it healthy. I get into charging and playing issues but I get through, by re-switching on the charging. Or it only takes one overnight charge to get it back to normal.

I may be wrong but I don't think it's a good idea to run modern lithium batteries down to zero.  If I remember correctly it's best to keep them in the 20-90% range most of the time.

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #12,732 of 42,765
  Interesting.. maybe i should use a timer to switch the USB charger on and off say every 4 hours to reset the charge circuit..

I have emailed Chord, if i get a response I will share it here..

Thanks

If you aren't already doing so, use a charger that supplies at least 2amps to mojo, otherwise charging will be super slow and annoying.

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #12,733 of 42,765
  First Impressions:

The Chord Mojo has given me that "wow" effect; that is, the quality is surprisingly high. 

Although it has to charge for 10 hours, I could not help but sneak a listen.  

Macbook Pro:  iTunes 

Beatles:  "Two of Us" from "Let It Be:  Naked", from CD 320 mp3.  

Bob Dylan:  Working Man Blues #2 from "Modern Times"

I chose these two to do a quick listen because I am familiar with both and both have distinctions that could stand out for me. 

"Two of Us":  the acoustic guitars were stunningly clear.  The vocals, in particular, were "in the middle" of space, clear.  

"Working Man Blues #2" sounded as if Dylan was sitting in my living room, a few feet away, with no background noise other than the vocal, which was clear and very upfront; more than I have ever heard before.  

From iPhone 6, I listened to Alison Kraus' "Baby, Now That I've Found You" from her live album where her high vocals were clearer than I've ever heard before. 

After charging, I will listen to London Philharmonic for instrument separation and Stevie Wonder for bass.  

As to volume:  from the Macbook Pro and the iPhone, the T1.2 (600 ohm) were driven to a level uncomfortably loud for me!  The power of this little thing is amazing.  

For me, the hype in the reviews here have been accurate.  

to get the most out of mojo on your MacBook Pro, download Jriver Media center and then flip through the images in this thread until you find the screenshot of the settings to enable bit perfect output to mojo.  It's true that everything sounds great on Mojo, but if you want to see what it's really capable of MP#'s and iTunes won't do it.

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #12,734 of 42,765

I may be wrong but I don't think it's a good idea to run modern lithium batteries down to zero.  If I remember correctly it's best to keep them in the 20-90% range most of the time.

That is true.
But Chord has developed a brand new, advanced battery for Mojo. They had to wait for the battery developed for the longest time, even though all other technical things were ready to imply. That is why Mojo can be constantly plugged in for example.

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #12,735 of 42,765
The only conundrum I've had and that I can't explain with Mojo is that it gets significantly hotter when playing from my MacbookPro than from my phone.  I can play and charge from my phone at the same time and it doesn't get anywhere close to as hot as it gets from my laptop while playing and charging.  My first mojo had a defective battery, I would only get ~10 minutes on blue, 1.5 hours on green, the total play time was something like 2 hours.  Drew @ Moon audio took care of me and got me a replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back