Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 8, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #12,706 of 42,765
Totally forgot a bunch of my portable Minidisc players have optical out! hehehe... I can't wait to hear Minidiscs with a superior DAC :D

Too bad there aren't any cheap android devices that just provide an optical output and nothing else IMO. If there is such a thing, I don't know of it!

Mar 8, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #12,707 of 42,765
Apologies if this question has been answered dozens of times previously, but the information i am reading in the forum doesn't quite seem to reflect my experience of charging and using the Mojo at the same time.

I am using a decent quality Anker Power Port 5 to supply current to the Mojo whilst using it connected to a Mac Mini running JRiver. It appears to charge with no problem when in use, but its as if once fully charged the charging circuit shuts down and the device switches to battery power and after a X hours use, the device switches off. It doesn't get excessively hot to the touch during that time.

The impression from reading other posts is that the unit should charge whilst in use, once charged the power supply should continue providing sufficient power to operate the Mojo without using the battery - or have i misunderstood?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 8, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #12,708 of 42,765

Damn, is UAPP the only way to get satisfying audio out of the Mojo from an Android?
I like Onkyo HF Player a lot and I bought a device I made sure was rootable so I could use Viper4Android
I don't know if V4A supports locking sample rates though. I did a quick google the other day and didn't find out.

I imagine on my PC i might just leave my 0404 USB setup and use the optical out from that.

Does anyone have the contact information for the guy/team who developed UAPP?  Supposedly they are active on the forums, if they added a feature to paste in links from youtube or other sources and play the audio through UAPP  Also would like to play stitcher and bandcamp through UAPP as well.

Mar 8, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #12,709 of 42,765

Does anyone have the contact information for the guy/team who developed UAPP?  Supposedly they are active on the forums, if they added a feature to paste in links from youtube or other sources and play the audio through UAPP  Also would like to play stitcher and bandcamp through UAPP as well.

try contacting them within the app? i did contact them some time ago, and they do respond. actually it's a he

Mar 8, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #12,710 of 42,765
  Apologies if this question has been answered dozens of times previously, but the information i am reading in the forum doesn't quite seem to reflect my experience of charging and using the Mojo at the same time.

I am using a decent quality Anker Power Port 5 to supply current to the Mojo whilst using it connected to a Mac Mini running JRiver. It appears to charge with no problem when in use, but its as if once fully charged the charging circuit shuts down and the device switches to battery power and after a X hours use, the device switches off. It doesn't get excessively hot to the touch during that time.

The impression from reading other posts is that the unit should charge whilst in use, once charged the power supply should continue providing sufficient power to operate the Mojo without using the battery - or have i misunderstood?

This would be interesting to learn the answer.  
If you contact Chord with a response, can you let us know?

Mar 8, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #12,712 of 42,765
  Is there any chance in future Mojo will support apps like Youtube and Play Music on Android ? is it possible to update firmware on Mojo or will it require resend to factory?

it is not a Mojo problem, but it depends on the manufacturer's implementation of the USB Audio out of the android device
it already works natively with some phones

Mar 8, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #12,713 of 42,765
First Impressions:

The Chord Mojo has given me that "wow" effect; that is, the quality is surprisingly high. 

Although it has to charge for 10 hours, I could not help but sneak a listen.  

Macbook Pro:  iTunes 

Beatles:  "Two of Us" from "Let It Be:  Naked", from CD 320 mp3.  

Bob Dylan:  Working Man Blues #2 from "Modern Times"

I chose these two to do a quick listen because I am familiar with both and both have distinctions that could stand out for me. 

"Two of Us":  the acoustic guitars were stunningly clear.  The vocals, in particular, were "in the middle" of space, clear.  

"Working Man Blues #2" sounded as if Dylan was sitting in my living room, a few feet away, with no background noise other than the vocal, which was clear and very upfront; more than I have ever heard before.  

From iPhone 6, I listened to Alison Kraus' "Baby, Now That I've Found You" from her live album where her high vocals were clearer than I've ever heard before. 

After charging, I will listen to London Philharmonic for instrument separation and Stevie Wonder for bass.  

As to volume:  from the Macbook Pro and the iPhone, the T1.2 (600 ohm) were driven to a level uncomfortably loud for me!  The power of this little thing is amazing.  

For me, the hype in the reviews here have been accurate.  

Mar 8, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #12,714 of 42,765
Mython thanks for maintaining the FAQ and this Mojo thread. I haven't been tracking the mojo and wanna see if you can help with a few noob basic Mojo questions so that I don't need to go thru 10k+ posts!

1. Feature/function wise what are the differences between Mojo/Hugo other than the lack of crossfeed and the I/O ports?
2. Any known issue/revision (casing/hardware/circuitry etc) akin to the first few Hugo iterations? (I'm probably looking at buy used locally)
3. Any review of non phone source that can do streaming app and pair with Mojo via optical (my target is the onkyo)?

FYI I had been happily using Hugo at home and on the go pretty much since it's launch and the sound had rendered my attempt to demo/purchase any new DAPs futile. However, a recent reconfiguration of my audio rack made it quite troublesome to connect/disconnect the Hugo from my fullsize cans setups and I back to the good old AK240 but find it unsatisfying. In fact my AK240 had been mostly relegated to a transport for Hugo (with the new AK Connect update it is very well suited tho expensive transport LOL) and the newer DAPs (from Dx80, to DP-X1, to ZX2, to Plenue S, to AK320/380/app) just didn't sound right to me. Hence I'm thinking to get a used Mojo to replace my Hugo to use on-the-go, and while I'm at it get a newer source that do streaming. Thanks in advance for your (or any Mojo owner's) help!

Mar 8, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #12,716 of 42,765

I am very interested in this too. Mine does odd stuff. Charging and playing takes many hours; approximately eighteen hours. However after about six hours in, the charging switches off and reverts to battery. I have to monitor it and switch off and on the charging, so it continues.

Anyway I think the immediate solution to your predicament is this. Once the unit is charged say left overnight. Next day when you come to play it. Switch off and on the charger. Start playing music. If necessary switch off and on the charger again after starting to play.

You will most likely find that this works, as I do. Basically at some point I think you have to start with a fresh charging cycle. Once you do and the battery is full and charging sorted, it works fine. The charging light will alternate between blue and white in intervals of about ten or fifteen minutes.

My set up at the moment works like this. I use Mojo as a desktop DAC. Mojo and PC are on the same extension adaptor running from wall socket to under my desk. When I switch on at the wall, the PC can be powered and the Mojo charger is active on the Mojo. I switch on the Mojo whenever I want, with my speakers too. It never fails to work and stay on. 

Sometimes I allow the battery to discharge to keep it healthy. I get into charging and playing issues but I get through, by re-switching on the charging. Or it only takes one overnight charge to get it back to normal.

Mar 8, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #12,717 of 42,765
Please Help
How do you get onkyo hf to play tidal files from iPad

I have the HF player and Tidal on my iPad and iPhone, and I don't think you can play Tidal files through that player.  I'd be interested if there was a way.  Are you wanting to use the upsampling feature on HF, or another reason for trying this?

Mar 8, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #12,719 of 42,765
  First Impressions:

The Chord Mojo has given me that "wow" effect; that is, the quality is surprisingly high. 

Although it has to charge for 10 hours, I could not help but sneak a listen.  

Macbook Pro:  iTunes 

Beatles:  "Two of Us" from "Let It Be:  Naked", from CD 320 mp3.  

Bob Dylan:  Working Man Blues #2 from "Modern Times"

I chose these two to do a quick listen because I am familiar with both and both have distinctions that could stand out for me. 

"Two of Us":  the acoustic guitars were stunningly clear.  The vocals, in particular, were "in the middle" of space, clear.  

"Working Man Blues #2" sounded as if Dylan was sitting in my living room, a few feet away, with no background noise other than the vocal, which was clear and very upfront; more than I have ever heard before.  

From iPhone 6, I listened to Alison Kraus' "Baby, Now That I've Found You" from her live album where her high vocals were clearer than I've ever heard before. 

After charging, I will listen to London Philharmonic for instrument separation and Stevie Wonder for bass.  

As to volume:  from the Macbook Pro and the iPhone, the T1.2 (600 ohm) were driven to a level uncomfortably loud for me!  The power of this little thing is amazing.  

For me, the hype in the reviews here have been accurate.  

Welcome on board. :)

Mar 8, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #12,720 of 42,765
  Interesting.. maybe i should use a timer to switch the USB charger on and off say every 4 hours to reset the charge circuit..

I have emailed Chord, if i get a response I will share it here..

Thanks

I also use Mojo as desktop DAC. It is constantly plugged in to wall charge. I connect the data USB only when I am at my PC. Never had any issues. Chord has clarified several times, it has no effect on battery if it is constantly plugged in.
Interesting issue is yours. I didn't come across anything like this since I read the thread. (2+ months.) I wonder what the trigger is. It is not necessarily your Mojo's fault but who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back