Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 18, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #976 of 42,765
Tried the LCD-XC, LCD-2.2c, JH Angie, AKG K550, Vmoda M-100........

MoJo can drive them all easily and I hear no hiss, or clipping. I'll have more in my imminent review.

Had some back and forth with Rob and I can share that the MoJo has the exact same driving power as the Hugo. No sacrifices here. Can also share that he intentionally voiced it smoother with lower noise performance for the intended portable use so it's certainly not a matter of being less capable than Hugo, just voiced slightly differently and better THD specs (THD @ 3V 0.00017%).

More coming in the review........

Thank you.
Sounds good to me......knowing "no hiss and no clipping with XC" with extra bonus on better THD.
Looking forward to your review, cheers.

Oct 18, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #977 of 42,765

Midrange
- Asus Zenfone 2 (300 USD version gets you 4GB of ram, thats insane!)

You can actually get the 4GB Zenfone 2 for as little as about $220USD from AliExpress for the 32gb one, which of course has a card slot. The 64gb version also readily available there, although I have not seen the 128gb version yet.

Note 4 is a good higher-end option, the Samsung phones put out a lot more charge than other Android devices to USB OTG connected devices, which means they will work with a larger number of DAC/amp units without external power solutions. 

Oct 18, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #979 of 42,765
I am using the AKG K3003 and I can fully recommend the Mojo. Listening since Thursday with more and more enthusiasm, the combination of Mojo and AKG K3003 is such an immersive experience, so joyful and musical.

Compared to Oppo HA-2: The Oppo was great at first listening, but after a couple of hours the weaknesses became clear: Too tiring highs, too artificial, and then there is the hiss with low impedance IEMs. To be fair, Oppo recommends to use 16 Ohm upwards, and the K3003 only has 8 Ohm... The Mojo has power and control and brilliant treble but no shining shimmering type of treble, just controlled and clear. 

Compared to AK120 Titan: I love the sound of the AK120, it has never disappointed on sound but AK just did not catch up with streaming services. Their Qobus integration is only half hearted, does not allow offline listening and anyway Qobus has a limited catalogue compared to Tidal. The Mojo is not worse in sound, just different, a tiny little less transparent. The Mojo has more body and more bass though. And it opens up the word of Tidal, paired with my Macbook Air or iPhone Mojo is what I use much more often these days.

Overall, I am very impressed. That is an understatement, I am hypnotised is a better way of putting it. Magic of music, rediscovered, thanks to Mojo :) 

I'd also be very interested in review of the Mojo with the Pandora VI. I don't think there are many DAC/Amps out there that recommends down to 8ohm. I currently plugged mine out from the paired Dac/Amp and plugged it straight into my Galaxy tablet and although there is less resolution, there are more details and clarity. And ofcourse these cans being highly efficient it gets very loud. I still prefer it with a dac/amp but I wonder if I am getting more clarity and details without it due to the impedence mismatching of some sort.

Oct 18, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #981 of 42,765
I'd also be very interested in review of the Mojo with the Pandora VI. I don't think there are many DAC/Amps out there that recommends down to 8ohm. I currently plugged mine out from the paired Dac/Amp and plugged it straight into my Galaxy tablet and although there is less resolution, there are more details and clarity. And ofcourse these cans being highly efficient it gets very loud. I still prefer it with a dac/amp but I wonder if I am getting more clarity and details without it due to the impedence mismatching of some sort.

I might be able to try my Hope VI with the Mojo this week, depending on when the local dealer gets stock. The very low output impedance in the VI is a double-whammy, causing not only impedance matching problems with a lot of gear, but also running into clipping due to current limitations with yet more gear. DAC/amps with less than an ohm output impedance and reasonable current supply should be fine with the VI, so I would not anticipate problems here.

Regards the Galaxy Tab you are using, what model is that? I would be surprised if it's output impedance was less than ohm, so I would more suspicious of impedance matching issues with the tablet.

Oct 19, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #982 of 42,765
I might be able to try my Hope VI with the Mojo this week, depending on when the local dealer gets stock. The very low output impedance in the VI is a double-whammy, causing not only impedance matching problems with a lot of gear, but also running into clipping due to current limitations with yet more gear. DAC/amps with less than an ohm output impedance and reasonable current supply should be fine with the VI, so I would not anticipate problems here.

Regards the Galaxy Tab you are using, what model is that? I would be surprised if it's output impedance was less than ohm, so I would more suspicious of impedance matching issues with the tablet.

That would be great if you can give us a review of the pairing between the two. Looking forward to all the impressions!

Oct 19, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #983 of 42,765
Sorry for the weird question... But do the buttons feels solid on the Mojo?

mmm......solid as a rock. It does not feel loose or anything like that. If there is one characteristic that all Chord products share is the tank-like build. So, no worries there.

Oct 19, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #984 of 42,765
Any impressions on the Mojo vs Fostex HP-P1?

And please, all of you lucky Mojo owners (congrats with your new gear!), describe the Mojo's sound. I never heard the Mojo or the Hugo, and I am dying to learn about your impressions :) Headphone pairing, sound stage etc.

Does it have an automatic power off function, so it turns off when the signal has been dead for like 30 mins?

From what I gather from few different threads including Hugo thread, the Mojo has an intimate, warm sound that is musical with plenty of power to drive all cans. This can be due to the very low distortion which in turn gets you closer to the source. - I wouldn't expect super soundstage with the Mojo but small, intimate musical listening sessions.

Oct 19, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #985 of 42,765
Sorry for the weird question... But do the buttons feels solid on the Mojo?
mmm......solid as a rock. It does not feel loose or anything like that. If there is one characteristic that all Chord products share is the tank-like build. So, no worries there.

Actually, on the unit I have, two of the three balls spin freely and the volume up ball is rather 'stuck' in place. Operation is fine but thought you guys should know. Not a negative in any way in my opinion and it doesn't affect operation at all.

Oct 19, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #986 of 42,765
Actually, on the unit I have, two of the three balls spin freely and the volume up ball is rather 'stuck' in place. Operation is fine but thought you guys should know. Not a negative in any way in my opinion and it doesn't affect operation at all.
Funnily, I thought that the balls spinning was part of the design, as they're not held in place (you wouldn't get the uniform glow if they were), but I get your point if it is only two out of three on your unit.

Oct 19, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #987 of 42,765
I fail to understand Mojo's proposition.
It's smaller than the Hugo but it looks not small enough to be pocketable. My iPhone 6s barely is, even alone.
It will turn out to be a great small sized, relatively affordable desktop amp. As the he Hugo, only cheaper.
Am I missing something big?

Oct 19, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #988 of 42,765
It's smaller than the Hugo but it looks not small enough to be pocketable. My iPhone 6s barely is, even alone.
It will turn out to be a great small sized, relatively affordable desktop amp. As the he Hugo, only cheaper.

Depends on your pockets I guess. It'll be pocketable for me, considering my P8max is, and it's much (much) larger than your 6s. I suppose I don't wear hipster jeans though, so there is that.

Oct 19, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #989 of 42,765

I mean mine rotate if I try to, but I don't think that's really a good indicator of build quality.

Oct 19, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #990 of 42,765

Do you only wear skinny jeans or similar?  Its smaller than a pack of cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back