Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 18, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #961 of 42,765
  I am interested in the Chord Mojo, though I have some battery charging questions.

Downloaded the manual, it says I need at least 1 Amp ...  I have a spare iPad charger wall wart (2 Amp @ 5 Volts),  instead of using the apple lightning cable that comes with the iPad charger I think I could just use the USB A >Micro cable that Chord supplies with the Mojo, plugging that into the iPad charger wall wart.
So ...  iPad Charger >> Chord USB Micro cable >> Chord Mojo

Would I be able to use this to charge the Mojo ?

When not using the Mojo to listen to music, would it be OK to leave the Mojo powered on and attached to the charger ?

Reason for the above question, is that it is similar in how I treat my iPhone, that is, when I get home and it is not going to be used, I just plug it into the charger and leave it attached overnight (rather than unplugging from the charger as soon as I reach 100% battery), iPhone seems to keep good battery health this way (rather than constantly letting them run down).  I suppose this is really a question of battery care "best practise".

Thanks to everyone for taking the time on posting their impressions of the Mojo (especially paired with the AKG K3003), I appreciate it.
I have long been curious of hearing Chord products given their excellent reputation, at this price point the Mojo is certainly very attractive and I should be able to have a demo in the next fortnight.

I am using the AKG K3003 and I can fully recommend the Mojo. Listening since Thursday with more and more enthusiasm, the combination of Mojo and AKG K3003 is such an immersive experience, so joyful and musical.

Compared to Oppo HA-2: The Oppo was great at first listening, but after a couple of hours the weaknesses became clear: Too tiring highs, too artificial, and then there is the hiss with low impedance IEMs. To be fair, Oppo recommends to use 16 Ohm upwards, and the K3003 only has 8 Ohm... The Mojo has power and control and brilliant treble but no shining shimmering type of treble, just controlled and clear. 

Compared to AK120 Titan: I love the sound of the AK120, it has never disappointed on sound but AK just did not catch up with streaming services. Their Qobus integration is only half hearted, does not allow offline listening and anyway Qobus has a limited catalogue compared to Tidal. The Mojo is not worse in sound, just different, a tiny little less transparent. The Mojo has more body and more bass though. And it opens up the word of Tidal, paired with my Macbook Air or iPhone Mojo is what I use much more often these days.

Overall, I am very impressed. That is an understatement, I am hypnotised is a better way of putting it. Magic of music, rediscovered, thanks to Mojo :) 

Oct 18, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #962 of 42,765
Totally agreed.
biggrin.gif
But last time I check, upgradatis + Hype > performance > senses
wink.gif

Digital out is 1's and 0', all right. But, it's not the same stream of 1's and 0's across DAPs.
It depends on the decoder and Digital-out design of each DAP. Which is why, some DAP's Digital out is impacted by equalizer.

Oct 18, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #963 of 42,765
I don't imagine that's what Chord were hoping for.
The press release seemed more geared toward the potentially massive mobile phone market than Hugo owners or indeed potential Hugo owners.

Original Hugo has pre-amp and desktop / home functionality.

It is easy to get consumed by forum threads. Some original Hugo owners do not use headphones. Some original Hugo owners only use headphones. Some actually use all the original Hugo features. This reality is merely that the Mojo is the true portable that the Hugo never was. The Mojo only displaces the original Hugo for original Hugo owners that use the unit outdoors and want pocketability.

Now there are four-distinct products in the Hugo range that cater for different needs. There is no displacement, just choice.

With FOTM it is important (1) not to assume your own needs are the only needs of the market (2) always, always think about resale value when about to jump on the next new shiny thing (3) demo

Oct 18, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #964 of 42,765
That shiny round woods..........
Mate, have you tried your LCD-XC with these setup yet?
Please do share your impression? I appreciate you.
Cheers

Tried the LCD-XC, LCD-2.2c, JH Angie, AKG K550, Vmoda M-100........

MoJo can drive them all easily and I hear no hiss, or clipping. I'll have more in my imminent review.

Had some back and forth with Rob and I can share that the MoJo has the exact same driving power as the Hugo. No sacrifices here. Can also share that he intentionally voiced it smoother with lower noise performance for the intended portable use so it's certainly not a matter of being less capable than Hugo, just voiced slightly differently and better THD specs (THD @ 3V 0.00017%).

More coming in the review........

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #968 of 42,765
Tried the LCD-XC, LCD-2.2c, JH Angie, AKG K550, Vmoda M-100........

MoJo can drive them all easily and I hear no hiss, or clipping. I'll have more in my imminent review.

Had some back and forth with Rob and I can share that the MoJo has the exact same driving power as the Hugo. No sacrifices here. Can also share that he intentionally voiced it smoother with lower noise performance for the intended portable use so it's certainly not a matter of being less capable than Hugo, just voiced slightly differently and better THD specs (THD @ 3V 0.00017%).

More coming in the review........

Good to know it'll drive the Nighthawks fine if it has the same output power of the Hugo. There seems to be more thorough review of the Hugo compared to Mojo on the Hugo thread. :D

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #969 of 42,765
I also find the Hugo a bit clinical (cold & sterile), but I think Rob Watts said in a previous post that the Hugo's design is getting on for 3 years old and there have been Hugo TT and Dave since then moving the design (and sound) forwards (better).

Just saw the post. Oh well, everyone does have different ears. There will always be a few who disagree with the masses.

Oct 18, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #970 of 42,765
That is more than a little harsh!!

FWIW, I am one of the people that finds the Hugo cold and sterile, compared to well, the Mojo, and also players like the ZX2, and definitely against vinyl... I have all of those items, does that invalidate my thoughts as well? what probably doesn't help me is that I generally listen to bright IEMs, but I do mention this, and this is a valid argument, alongside those that use the HD800...

I add those disclaimers to my posts, feel free to search through my posts right now to check, now, tell me I do not know what I'm listening to, or how I'm listening to it, and I'll leave this site never to come back, due to the elitist, arrogant nature of some of its members, however, tell me you understand different people come from different directions and that you get that opinions are like brains, everyone has one - then, I'll buy the next round at the bar...

Your move.

Nice to see someone comparing stuff to vinyl rather than yet another crappy digital product... 

Oct 18, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #972 of 42,765
I can't wait to get the chance to audition the Mojo and pairing with ZX2
wink.gif
must be a huge improvement.

Zx2 will act as the transport right? Have you considered something with a smaller foot print like an android phone. It will be only a transport right? Zx2 + Mojo will be quite thick. compared to those midrange android phones with massive batteries  + OTG to Mojo. Thats my eventual plan haha. Even though I just bough an X7. I am caught in the mojo hype train me wants it!

Oct 18, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #973 of 42,765

Zx2 will act as the transport right? Have you considered something with a smaller foot print like an android phone. It will be only a transport right? Zx2 + Mojo will be quite thick. compared to those midrange android phones with massive batteries  + OTG to Mojo. Thats my eventual plan haha. Even though I just bough an X7. I am caught in the mojo hype train me wants it!

Great point. What do you think would be the best Android phone to act as a transport? Would love to have something with expandable storage. Also would only use as the transport, not as a phone, and would love a model I could find used for a good deal. Have to admit I'm an iPhone guy so I know very little about Android phones. Cheers 

Oct 18, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #974 of 42,765
  Great point. What do you think would be the best Android phone to act as a transport? Would love to have something with expandable storage. Also would only use as the transport, not as a phone, and would love a model I could find used for a good deal. Have to admit I'm an iPhone guy so I know very little about Android phones. Cheers 

Funny thing is that there are quite a few android phones coming out with ESS Sabre dacs so they don't sound all that bad:

What you want is a phone with the following:
- Expandable storage
- Replaceable battery or fast charge option - with removable batteries you can use huge aftermarket batteries to get monstrous battery life.
- Strong processors, not easy to play lossless files and its taxing on weaker processors

But these days the flagship phones are doing away with storage and removable battery 
frown.gif

If looking at phones with good audio quality by themselves 
High End
- LG V10
- Meizu Pro 5 (can use headphone port as line out port via settings option)
- Sony Z5 (can natively play DSD according to sony)

Midrange
- Asus Zenfone 2 (300 USD version gets you 4GB of ram, thats insane!)
- ZTE Axon Elite (said to be audiophile quality phone but ymmv)

My recommendation would be to get a mid range phone as you get close to flagship specs at much lower prices. The 2 aforementioned midrange phones would be good but I dont know if they have removable battery.

Another solid choice would be the older Samsung Galaxy Note 4 which is nice and big, has expandable store and removable battery. A company called zero lemon makes huge batteries for them which lasts for days at a time. Depending on how much power the Mojo draws, that might be a good compromise. Most cellphones these days are ridiculously thin to begin with so stack size will be smaller relatively. 

Hopefully that helped! 

Oct 18, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #975 of 42,765
My LG pulse is a pretty poor android phone but it has no problem playing my FLAC library and the battery is replacable and the storage is expandable so i will be using it as a transport. The fact that the mojo can work with android with OTG is a huge selling point for me as it makes this accessible to me on the go and it will work with my smart tv and pc win win in my book.
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back