Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 21, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #9,631 of 42,765
Joining in the Mojo fun! :)

Ever since getting the Mojo, my DX90 has been relegated into a "dedicated transport" role. That said, the DX90 + Chord Mojo stack, both connected by a short Whiplash mini-to-mini IC with right-angled Neutrik plugs, is a joy to use since it's very, very portable. At home, though, the Mojo becomes a dedicated DAC for my Lake People G109A, which is then hooked to either the HE-400i or the HD600, depending on my mood (the HE-400i, however, gets more listening time these days). 

There's no need for me to give my first impressions on the Mojo as its value and performance is well-established here. I'll just say this: you won't go wrong with the Mojo. :)

Nice setup you got there kababayan! Grats on the Mojo! It surely is a great device. Currently using it with my rhapsodio-rti2 and it's heavenly :)

Cheers!

Jan 21, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #9,632 of 42,765
Wow. 

I wonder if it will end up looking more like one piece, than it looked in those photos. 

George - That was only a 3D printed early prototype. Given Chords history of taking design seriously (whether you like their aesthetic is a different and personal question) I'd be surprised if the modules weren't nicely executed in their final form. Cheers

Jan 21, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #9,633 of 42,765
It seems that my Mojo hisses (the unit itself) loudly when charging, tried a 2 amp Samsung charger, 1.5 amp Sony charger, 1 amp Apple charger, all have audible hiss from 1m+ away. Only charger that didn't hiss was a counterfeit Samsung one, which I doubt was giving enough power to the unit, as it ran out of power while listening with the charger plugged in.

I guess I have to send it back...

Jan 21, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #9,634 of 42,765
It seems that my Mojo hisses (the unit itself) loudly when charging, tried a 2 amp Samsung charger, 1.5 amp Sony charger, 1 amp Apple charger, all have audible hiss from 1m+ away. Only charger that didn't hiss was a counterfeit Samsung one, which I doubt was giving enough power to the unit, as it ran out of power while listening with the charger plugged in.

How long did you have it for?

Jan 21, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #9,635 of 42,765

I don't think that is necessary. If the unit hisses when being charged it is not a problem with the mojo. In the unit there are certain ceramic capacitors. They are used within the battery charging circuitry. These will under some circumstances will vibrate a little . These capacitor are made very like piezo Crystals that are typically found in IEMs and when they get hit with multiple charging pulses these capacitors will imit a sound just like an ear piece piezto crystal would. This is not a problem the variation in level is determined by many factors both within and external too the Mojo.

Jan 21, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #9,636 of 42,765
so that's why i was getting some pops/cracks too earlier when i used the mojo... i was on ios 9.3 too. speaking of which, sorry for the off topic a bit, is the use of the iPhone lightning camera kit just a workaround or it really is meant for audio? i know it works fine now, just wondering since the mojo is not  MFI-certified, will there come a time that it may be blocked by apple? or the usb audio officially supported by apple via its lightning kit? thanks in advance :)

I hope others with a bit more info will chime in but I believe all the CCK does is transmit a digital signal? So we should be good forever :)

Jan 21, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #9,637 of 42,765
I hope others with a bit more info will chime in but I believe all the CCK does is transmit a digital signal? So we should be good forever :)

Yes, 100% digital. The cracks and pops are software related with iOS 9.3 beta.

Jan 21, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #9,638 of 42,765

How long did you have it for?

Received it this Monday, only a few days old.

I don't think that is necessary. If the unit hisses when being charged it is not a problem with the mojo. In the unit there are certain ceramic capacitors. They are used within the battery charging circuitry. These will under some circumstances will vibrate a little . These capacitor are made very like piezo Crystals that are typically found in IEMs and when they get hit with multiple charging pulses these capacitors will imit a sound just like an ear piece piezto crystal would. This is not a problem the variation in level is determined by many factors both within and external too the Mojo.

If only the noise are only noticeable when you put your ear close to it, but in my case it is the loudest thing in my house. Louder than traffic passing by, louder than louder than the fridge. With it being on my desk, the noise is noticeable even with closed back headphones on.

Sadly I find this a big degradation to my listening envoriment to just brush it off.

Jan 21, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #9,641 of 42,765
If only the noise are only noticeable when you put your ear close to it, but in my case it is the loudest thing in my house. Louder than traffic passing by, louder than louder than the fridge. With it being on my desk, the noise is noticeable even with closed back headphones on.

Sadly I find this a big degradation to my listening envoriment to just brush it off.

yes agree with you in this particular case it does sound severe! May I ask you to try another charger perhaps with more power and if this fails to solve the issue by all means, send the unit back to us at chord through your retailer and of course we will correct it and return it promptly. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #9,642 of 42,765
  I've been finding , with the Mojo, that I am listening to more and more live albums, really enjoying the different ambiances, noticing timbres and subtle music cues which I never noticed before. More often than not, I'm mesmerized, as if actually at the concert. It's bloomin' wonderful!! Are you finding the same thing?

Anyhow, the Mojo is all about more musical joy after all, so I thought I'd start a post about thrilling live albums I've been delving into lately and hope that we may share the wonder a bit. To this end,I've compiled a list of albums which really "sing" with Mojo. Hope you can share your's.

Cream - Live 2005 Royal Albert Hall. Such a great, airy sound from the "best" power trio ever. Jack's bass is so good! And if you can watch the Bluray Video version , it's fab too.
Clapton & Winwood - Madison Sq Gardens - just superb sound and musicianship. Again , the Bluray vid is superlative.
Gov't Mule - Live with a little help - Brilliant 4 cd sprawling set, just wow!
Gov't Mule - The Deepest End, another superb set.
Jeff Beck - Live at Ronnie Scott's - Superb playing all round and a highlight being Imogen Heap guesting.
Crosby Stills & Nash - CSN 2012 - Lovely stuff! Great to hear the guys still rocking out!
Dave Matthews - Central Park - Just amazing sound and THE best ever version of Cortez The Killer with Warren Haynes on guitar (imho)
John Coltrane - Live at Birdland and Village Vanguard, Coltrane at his prime, IMO and great sound, capturing the events well (esp the VV sets)
Keith Jarrett - Whisper Not , just amazing, with a good set of cans and Mojo, you are completely immersed in the trio's interplay.
B B King - Cook County Jail - nuff said.

This is by no means a definitive list, lol. I could add another 20 easily, Genesis Seconds Out, Dire Straits Alchemy, Eva Cassidy, Live at Blues Alley, Peter Green at Ronnie Scott's, pretty much all of the Phish live output, Allman Bros Fillmore (should be listed above, doh!), Pink Floyd Delicate Sound of Thunder, and so on and on... :)

This definitely should be on the list... like at the top. This sounds great, besides it being a great album.

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #9,643 of 42,765

Lovely cable!

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #9,644 of 42,765

yes agree with you in this particular case it does sound severe! May I ask you to try another charger perhaps with more power and if this fails to solve the issue by all means, send the unit back to us at chord through your retailer and of course we will correct it and return it promptly. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

I have tried 3 high quality branded chargers with it, all over 1 A rated (Samsung 2A, Sony 1.5A, Apple 1A). All of the exhibit the same hiss/whine, changing cable didn't help too.

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #9,645 of 42,765
Finally found some decent (*not ugly*) looking right angled TRRS and TRS plug from Taobao, so I make another digital coax cable for my FiiO + Mojo.

Much more low profiled than my previous attempt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back