Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 26, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #7,696 of 42,765
  I just bought ipad air to front-end my mojo however it only plays at 48khz. How do I get it to play hires files and also 44.1khz instead of upsampling? thanks

You could load a 3rd party app like Onkyo HF, but you will have to load the hi res files into an Onkyo driven folder, as opposed to using Apples player files.

Dec 26, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #7,697 of 42,765
You could load a 3rd party app like Onkyo HF, but you will have to load the hi res files into an Onkyo driven folder, as opposed to using Apples player files.

You will also need a CCK camera kit connector and a USB A to micro B cable to pull a digital line out from the iPad Air. Alternatively, contact Konstantin at Lavricable cable to buy an all in one cable solution as I and many others here have done.

Dec 26, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #7,698 of 42,765
Hi all, apologies for the bad quality of the photos but I can vouch that the Lavricables Lightning to USB cable works perfectly between my iPhone 6 Plus (iOS 9.2) and the Mojo. The track on the screen is a 192kHz FLAC file using the Onkyo HF Player and you can see the blue light on the Mojo thus confirming the sample rate.

There were also some concerns on the the AK100 DAP not being able to play tracks over 96kHz via the optical output but again the photo below confirms a 192kHz track being output from the player (actually a Red Wine Audio RWAK100 mod) and being correctly processed by the Mojo. The optical cable is a bog standard one I had lying around but I intend to order a shorter one from Sys Concept soon.

Again, apologies for the out of focus photos and poor lighting but I just wanted to allay anyone's fears over the use of either the Lavricable or the AK100 optical output.

Dec 26, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #7,699 of 42,765
  There were also some concerns on the the AK100 DAP not being able to play tracks over 96kHz via the optical output but again the photo below confirms a 192kHz track being output from the player (actually a Red Wine Audio RWAK100 mod) and being correctly processed by the Mojo. The optical cable is a bog standard one I had lying around but I intend to order a shorter one from Sys Concept soon.

Again, apologies for the out of focus photos and poor lighting but I just wanted to allay anyone's fears over the use of either the Lavricable or the AK100 optical output.

I'm glad to see you're successfully using optical from the AK100 @192

The following are a few collected posts from this thread, relevant to the topic, for those not meeting with as much success. Please note that these are in no particular order or sequence:

My AK120 has issue for any files over 24/96. Optical on some AK players aren't the best out there.

Had issues with mine as well until I changed my Optical cable to the Sysconcept  one. Now it outputs 24/192 without issues. 

http://www.sysconcept.ca/product_info.php?products_id=349

I'm looking at getting one of those sysconcept cables but am puzzled by your statement, I'm using a vanilla optical cable and it is pushing 24/192 to the mojo with no problem.

It is reported AK120 titan has no issue but a number of us AK120 owners had issue with a lot of our units. Only solution was the sysconcept cable. Some report stated that AK120 wasn't a proper optical out and the volume knob effected the final SNR. After that report there was a AK firmware update that by default set the volume on max when optical out was selected.

I cannot find the link of that report anymore but there are number of AK120 user out there who has a lot of issues with AK120 over at the HUGO thread. 

DSD plays at 48khz(orange light)on mojo with Titan and same DSD track lights up blue light on ak100ii,confusing!!
It wont play any 24bit past 96khz!This using generic toslink cables.
All my hires tracks light up and play correctly on dacmagic plus,so i think mojo cannot play above 24/96 with toslink!!

You're right re DSD, I got that muddled up, am out and do not have the colour guide to hand...

I can assure categorically though that I've had the mojo up to its max over optical, was a discussion about that in the thread yesterday (that some original non Titan 120s do have problems unless using a high end cable)

Quote:
My AK100 doesn't work well with certain custom optical cables whereas my AK120 has no issues. My conclusion, looking at the build quality of the AKs, the 120 jack is slightly more recessed than my 100. Therefore, the optical lens will be seated closer in the 120 than the 100 which is why some custom cables lose signal

In short - it seems that one needs to have one's wits about one, when intending to use an AK DAP with 24/192 over optical.

Dec 26, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #7,700 of 42,765

Will the onkyo app allow me to play from upnp servers? The light version doesnt look like it does much unless the files are local. Will all native apps like tidal always upsample?  Also what about files on wifi media shares and drives like mycloud?  I was told it would be so mych easer than android but it doesnt seem that way. thnx

Dec 26, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #7,701 of 42,765
Hence, you eliminate as many variable as you can. to get a more reliable comparison. Why would personal preference be a factor if one can't demonstrate with certainty that there is indeed perceivable a difference? If there is a difference isn't it a matter of taste? Which in time could change. Why would that make one gear better than the other?

I know you do perfect 100% comparison covering all variables, so that's great for you.

Dec 26, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #7,702 of 42,765
Can anyone with a completely ferrite shielded usb cable report if it took care of all the RF/EMI interference? Got some xmas money and looking to replace all my detachable ferrite devices with a single cable.

Dec 26, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #7,703 of 42,765
  Will the onkyo app allow me to play from upnp servers? The light version doesnt look like it does much unless the files are local. Will all native apps like tidal always upsample?  Also what about files on wifi media shares and drives like mycloud?  I was told it would be so mych easer than android but it doesnt seem that way. thnx

Don't know about upnp servers.  The free Onkyo version plays straight from your loaded apple files, but again at 44 or 48 bit. It does allow you to use its superior EQ I believe.   I'm not aware of any 3rd party apps that automatically upsample unless you change the settings to do so.  The Apple player is now so interconnected to Apple Music that I don't know how to do wifi streaming on it anymore.  It used to be very easy to stream from your laptop library, just a touch of a button, but now I don't know how.

Dec 26, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #7,706 of 42,765

clearly a joke.

Ambiguity is underrated
biggrin.gif

Dec 26, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #7,707 of 42,765
Just noticed that the Mojo thread, started 18 months after Fiio's X7 thread (very popular, in its own right), has now exceeded the number of posts in that thread.

No disrespect to Fiio - just think the past 2 months or so, since Mojo was launched, have witnessed a quite remarkable avalanche of postings. I know it has been a challenge for me to keep up with them all! LOL

(click to enlarge)

Dec 26, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #7,709 of 42,765
Dec 26, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #7,710 of 42,765
Just went for a walk with iPhone -> Mojo -> Empire Ears Athena. Played Kangding Ray's latest off-kilter electronic album. It was hard not to groove down the street. Great bass. Spacious without sounding diffuse. Nice sparkle. Then Mojo died, and I was stuck with just the iPhone. It was ok, but the man the Mojo really lets you take so much more advantage of high-quality IEM!!!
:L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back