Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 26, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #7,667 of 42,765
After all the Christmas festivities last night I quietly went off to my corner to have a listening session with my Newley acquired AK100 II and my Mojo.
It was music bliss, I listened for more than 5 hours till my eyes couldn't stay opened any longer. This combination is fantastic, as a standalone unit the AK100 II is sweet but the Mojo takes it to a whole other level. I first listened to the DAP for an hour, then I plugged the Mojo in, and the smile on my face I could only imagine. The Mojo SQ is so me and I am so happy to own it.
This pair is sublime and I will be enjoying music now, on the go. Enjoy your Mojo's everybody.

Dec 26, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #7,671 of 42,765
And the Mojo won't suffer from a cheap cable like this?

And is this the only way to connect it to note 5

I own a Note 4 with a micro b to micro b and it cost 1,000yen which is about 10 bucks.

I am actually going to make my own micro to micro cuz it's fun and will look cool but I am not expecting any better sound.
You should be fine. Some members have posted their mini's and they were about 10 bucks.

Dec 26, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #7,672 of 42,765
You should also consider a cable with ferrite core if I understand it right.
Refer to the previously posts by Robb Watts

I understand those concerns to - after all the data is the same. But there are solid scientific reasons why they can make a difference.

In the 1980's, people started talking about mains cables making a difference to the sound quality - and I didn't believe it either - particularly as my pre-amp had 300 dB of PSU rejection in the power supply. But I did a listening test, and yes I could hear a difference. Frankly I still could not believe the evidence of my own ears, so did a blind listening test with my girl friend. She reported exactly the same observation - mains cables did make a difference to SQ.

To cut a long story short, I proved the problem was down to RF noise. RF noise inter-modulates with the wanted audio signal within the analogue electronics, and if the RF noise is random, then the distortion is random too and you get a increase in noise floor with signal. This increase in noise floor is noise floor modulation, and the brain is very sensitive to it; you can perceive tiny amounts of noise floor modulation as a brightening or hardening of the sound. By tiny I mean the noise floor modulation needs to be well below -200 dB, so the brain is very sensitive to it. With the right test equipment, you (APX5555 is only test equipment that has no innate noise floor modulation) can easily measure the effect.

The RF characteristics of the cable can change the RF noise that gets injected into Mojo's ground plane, and this is the mechanism for changes in smoothness. You may say why can't you make it insensitive to it; well I go to silly lengths to RF filter and decouple, and use dual solid ground planes on the PCB, but you can't remove the problem. For Dave, Hugo TT and 2 Qute I have galvanic isolation, and this eliminates the problem (along with other SQ problems such as sound-stage depth). But I can't do this with portable devices, as it draws power from the 'phone. That said it's less of an issue with portable electronics as they are less power hungry and create less noise.

So what are the best USB cables? Firstly, be careful. A lot of audiophile USB cables actually increase RF noise and make it sound brighter, and superficially impressive - but this is just distortion brightening things up. Go for USB cables that have ferrites in the cable is a good idea - it may also solve any RF issues from the mobile that you may have too.

Rob

Dec 26, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #7,673 of 42,765
You should also consider a cable with ferrite core if I understand it right.

Refer to the previously posts by Robb Watts

I'm more confused, can someone help with a link on amazon, I can't search. I'm reluctant to make a bad purchase, just want the Mojo to impress

Dec 26, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #7,676 of 42,765

I own a Note 4 with a micro b to micro b and it cost 1,000yen which is about 10 bucks.

I am actually going to make my own micro to micro cuz it's fun and will look cool but I am not expecting any better sound.
You should be fine. Some members have posted their mini's and they were about 10 bucks.

And the Mojo won't suffer from a cheap cable like this?

And is this the only way to connect it to note 5

Everybody is correct in saying that Even the cheapest micro to micro is best in sound quality than using any high end OTG cable. But first naivesound, get the mojo and the cable and never worry about the dap. Your good to go. By the way I'm using my mojo with my experia z2 with hd650. Its all there is. And its great having this DAC with me. Everything went to a whole new level. I've been using it also as my desktop DAC and wow the SQ is so different. Biggest upgrade with my dacmagic plus!

Dec 26, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #7,678 of 42,765
Everybody is correct in saying that Even the cheapest micro to micro is best in sound quality than using any high end OTG cable. But first naivesound, get the mojo and the cable and never worry about the dap. Your good to go. By the way I'm using my mojo with my experia z2 with hd650. Its all there is. And its great having this DAC with me. Everything went to a whole new level. I've been using it also as my desktop DAC and wow the SQ is so different. Biggest upgrade with my dacmagic plus!

Awesome, I'm. Exited

I wish I had a short cable recommendation of what would be best on amazon, I have an amazon giftcard and would love a recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back