Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 11, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #6,679 of 42,765
The chord MOJO is so so good...

I use to think that headphones/iems are what you should spend on first to upgrade to improve your listening experience. I still believe that, but I've come to realize that a dac/amp is just important. The step up you get using it is quite big. This is especially true when comparing from mobile out.

The chord MOJO has really showed how big of an improvement you can get portable wise.

My first significant jump in audio was purchasing Shure SE846's and to be honest I've never looked for anything else since (previous notable ones were Klipsch X10i then Shure SE530/535's).

Then tried various smartphones as sources then a few mobile DAC/AMP's such as the Dragonfly and HA-2 but didn't think they were a significant jump, but then though I'd try the Mojo based on Hugo feedback and again I got the big smile moment.

For me the SE846/Mojo combination is as good as it gets for the price I'm prepared to pay (not chasing the rabbit down the hole or wanting multiple earphones/DAC's etc).

Then had to give a high-end DAP a try so got one of the Sony ZX2's in the Amazon sale which does sound great, but after owning a Mojo the ZX2 sounds inferior so now happy to just keep my Mojo/SE846's connected to a small source that can store a decent amount yet still work with Spotify/Tidal and have good battery life, so source is now a Sony Z5 compact with microSD purely for audio duties and the ZX2 has gone back to Amazon.

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #6,681 of 42,765
  has anybody tried mojo with 600 ohm headphones like beyer dt880 ?

yes. Bought some T1's just last week. FABULOUS. Unstressed, smooth, dynamics exemplary. Very good indeed.

I laughed when I tried them in my phone, could just about hear them, v quietly on max. IFI Nano idsd struggles badly. Mojo smooth and powerful. Running on yellow thru to light blue, depending on material. Plenty of power left. And I run them whilst charging the Mojo. Pretty amazing actually.

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #6,682 of 42,765
When charging my mojo the led seems to be on white for 5 seconds and then turns off for 5 seconds (repeats). This is after charging all night (10 hours or so). The manual said when it is fully charged the light will turn off so does this mean it is still charging? I just read about the led color indicator as the power runs out so I'll keep an eye on this as well because the battery was completely dead after an hour of use. I don't know what power level it started from when I started using it. It had been not charged or used for about 4 days and it ran out of battery after an hour - I did notice the flashing red at that time. My Fiio X3ii can sit on stand by much longer than the mojo turned off when both are fully charged. Perhaps a battery problem?

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #6,683 of 42,765
When charging my mojo the led seems to be on white for 5 seconds and then turns off for 5 seconds (repeats). This is after charging all night (10 hours or so). The manual said when it is fully charged the light will turn off so does this mean it is still charging? I just read about the led color indicator as the power runs out so I'll keep an eye on this as well because the battery was completely dead after an hour of use. I don't know what power level it started from when I started using it. It had been not charged or used for about 4 days and it ran out of battery after an hour - I did notice the flashing red at that time. My Fiio X3ii can sit on stand by much longer than the mojo turned off when both are fully charged. Perhaps a battery problem?

Try a more powerful charger. Sounds like it's not giving the Mojo enough juice. Many USB chargers don't pump out enough power - I had the same issue at first with my Mojo trying to use a charger that was underrated. Cheers

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #6,684 of 42,765
Try a more powerful charger. Sounds like it's not giving the Mojo enough juice. Many USB chargers don't pump out enough power - I had the same issue at first with my Mojo trying to use a charger that was underrated. Cheers

I'll try that - I am using an LG phone charger but I'll try to connect it to my iPad charger with the 10w plug.

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #6,685 of 42,765
I'll try that - I am using an LG phone charger but I'll try to connect it to my iPad charger with the 10w plug.

Cool. When I first plugged my Mojo into a micro USB charger I had (think it might have been for my Plantronics headset) it blinked on and off like you were describing, and did that overnight - so didn't seem to be taking a charge. I then moved it over to my iPad charger and it worked fine. I've since moved to the Anker PowerPort 2 which is a great charger, has two ports, lots of power and is only ~$12 via Amazon. 

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerPort-Charger-Adapter-Foldable/dp/B012WMWPJW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449842710&sr=8-1&keywords=anker+powerport+2

Cheers

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #6,687 of 42,765
  Is this a good choice for desktop usage mainly? thinking of getting this or the ifi micro idsd.

I am stumbling with this but I think it can work on desktop.

The stumbling blocks for me are:
  1. It can make a noise when charging and playing. The nerenral impression that any charging noise is pretty quiet though. However if it is left in mostly plugged in it will not be charging much, thanks to a clever charging curcuit.
  2. It can cut out when charging and playing because it get hot and designed thermal cut outs are in place. However I have thought about fitting it with a small heatsink like from Maplin and thermal pads from ebay. I think it's also possible to take out the battery anyway. (Though that would most likely void warranty). Thus it would only be drawing power to run the device in desktop mode.
  3. People have reported using some software to play music such as Foobar misses the first second of newly selected tracks. Consecutively playing tracks works perfect. A fix is that JRiver works perfectly. I have also suggested three other softwares for people to try. However no-one has reported trying them out for us yet. My suggestions are Media Go (preferences set to ASIO), dBpoweramp, and Exact Audio Copy.

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #6,688 of 42,765
Cool. When I first plugged my Mojo into a micro USB charger I had (think it might have been for my Plantronics headset) it blinked on and off like you were describing, and did that overnight - so didn't seem to be taking a charge. I then moved it over to my iPad charger and it worked fine. I've since moved to the Anker PowerPort 2 which is a great charger, has two ports, lots of power and is only ~$12 via Amazon. 

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerPort-Charger-Adapter-Foldable/dp/B012WMWPJW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449842710&sr=8-1&keywords=anker+powerport+2

Cheers

Nice I'll need to pick up one of these. The iPad charger seems to be making a difference already because the light is solid white now so no more blinking. Thanks again for the advice!

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #6,689 of 42,765

Yes, charger is important and needs a minimum of 1A (2A ones better) but also the USB cable can cause problems. I used a longer generic USB cable and got the flashing white even though I was on a good quality Samsung 2A charger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back