Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 11, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #6,706 of 42,765
I have a question about Onkyo, in the equalizer settings you can select HD which uses 64 bit processing. Does this meanj 64 but output in the sense of 16/24/32 or 128/256/320? I notice when I eq a DSD or high quality flac like 24/192, the light on my mojo remains the correct color and doesn't change. I guess that means it's outputting the same quality to and from the mojo?

Also if anyone has any good pics of what they consider the perfect EQ that gives a bump to 40-60 and 70-90, please share. Eq'ing is complex and I could use the help. I'm looking for increased sub bass and the fuzzy rumble that down tuned electric bass guitars bring, like seen in these two songs:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l_WJB7KXae8

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pFb607Y49X0

I only EQ when I listen to rap and doom/sludge metal.

Dec 11, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #6,708 of 42,765
I have a question about Onkyo, in the equalizer settings you can select HD which uses 64 bit processing. Does this meanj 64 but output in the sense of 16/24/32 or 128/256/320? I notice when I eq a DSD or high quality flac like 24/192, the light on my mojo remains the correct color and doesn't change. I guess that means it's outputting the same quality to and from the mojo?

Also if anyone has any good pics of what they consider the perfect EQ that gives a bump to 40-60 and 70-90, please share. Eq'ing is complex and I could use the help. I'm looking for increased sub bass and the fuzzy rumble that down tuned electric bass guitars bring, like seen in these two songs:

You are right, Onkyo's 64 bit equalizer does not change the sample rate or bit depth of the music. Onkyo will upsample but as I am sure you noticed but that is a separate selection under the settings.

As for a good equalizer setting to boost the sub bass, I, like you, fear I would do more harm than good so I am sorry I cannot help you there.

Dec 11, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #6,710 of 42,765
There is an explanation from the designer on this question, it's before page 230, and that's how far I read before I skipped to the end. So it was in the first 230. Someone else may be able to narrow it down, pretty sure opamps weren't the way it's architected.

Dec 11, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #6,711 of 42,765
  The earlier prototypes had less current than Hugo - 0.2A RMS. But last Feb we were with Nelson (Malaysian distributor) and I showed him the prototype. He brought some headphones, and we compared it to Hugo - and it was bad, a lot of clipping from Mojo, none from Hugo. It so happened (luckily) Nelson gave us possibly the only 8 ohm headphones on the market Final Audio Pandora.

So I upgraded the current to match Hugo, its the same 0.5A RMS. To do this I used 6 small OP transistors in parallel as size would not permit use of the large devices I use in Hugo.

Mojo development had some weird fortuitous events - the first time we showed the prototype happened to use the only 8 ohm headphones that would show problems - and the day we were deciding on the design Xilinx emailed me with a new FPGA that would enable Hugo performance but with the needed power, and happened to be in production just in time for Mojo. 

....  I have done some figures on a back of an envelope - Mojo should be capable of delivering more than 400 mW RMS into 49 ohms, not 118 mW so you will get more than 115dB SPL.

Rob

.... the OP stage is integrated with the OP filter. This means that Mojo analogue section is very simple, so giving Mojo's transparency, but the downside is a small variation in frequency response with load impedance.

Rob

(Click to enlarge)

Also see: www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-read-the-third-post-for-updated-info/6720#post_12154576

Dec 11, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #6,712 of 42,765
Thanks guys.

I wa skit listening to Varathron's - Stygian Forces of Scorn, wow guys. The acoustics sound like a live performance, the electric guitars riff up and down the spectrum gloriously, when the drummer plays across his set you can tell where he is and where his hands are, same with the other band members. the blazing fast parts are well understood-every sound is its own sound yet a part of the whole. If I'm going to lose my hearing to this hobby, it'll be to this little black box of joy. I typically start every album on yellow and go up from there, the highest I'll go is light blue for very quiet albums. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2HZgAGn4p1M

Do you guys think I will notice a SQ improvement going form CCK & iphone5 to android since I will only be using one cable instead of 2?

Dec 11, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #6,715 of 42,765
You are right, Onkyo's 64 bit equalizer does not change the sample rate or bit depth of the music. Onkyo will upsample but as I am sure you noticed but that is a separate selection under the settings.

As for a good equalizer setting to boost the sub bass, I, like you, fear I would do more harm than good so I am sorry I cannot help you there.

Think it means that it can take advantage of the phone's 64 bit processor, i.e. if you have an iPhone 5s or greater. From the Onkyo site:

Our linear-phase FIR equalizer features selectable HD/SD modes and allows extensive audio adjustment without loss in audio quality. Using a finger on the touchscreen, you can manipulate the frequency response curve into any shape you like, tweaking bass, mid-bass, mid-range, and treble frequencies with precision. In HD mode, a high-precision 64-bit HD equalizer boasts 16,384 bands of FIR equalization to reveal even the subtlest musical nuances in your favorite albums. Memory presets allow you to name and save EQ curves for quick and easy retrieval. 

Dec 11, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #6,716 of 42,765
I am thoroughly impressed with the sound quality and deceptively powerful authority the Mojo exudes when paired with my Alpha Primes. It handily outclasses my DX90>PB2 portable rig in every way. Immediately apparent was the vast improvement with intelligibility for both vocals and instruments. As others have reported, the clarity is phenomenal. For me, the Mojo delivers the goods and substantially upgraded my listening experience to date. I've been happy with a somewhat minimalist approach since joining Head-Fi. But after sampling better sound made possible through Mojo the past few weeks, I knew the time had finally come to venture forth into previously uncharted territory of transportable and desktop goodness that emerged during 2015. Can't wait to hear how well the Ether C's play with Mojo.

Dec 11, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #6,718 of 42,765
Does anyone know the specific op-amp used in Mojo? Thanks

No opamp in the signal path. The output is the discrete analogue stage right from the DAC. No seperate 'amp section' like in traditional DAC/amps. :wink:

Dec 11, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #6,719 of 42,765
No opamp in the signal path. The output is the discrete analogue stage right from the DAC. No seperate 'amp section' like in traditional DAC/amps.
wink.gif

Could that be the difference made special for Mojo? I think/guess it's about power (consumption of supply & output of power), in addition to low noise/distortion. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back