Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 27, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #42,002 of 42,765
When I dissected my defunct mojo battery I found it had a single small protection pcb inside the pkg. Does the 2000mAhr replacement battery have this?
Yes, it does have it.
It is a charge balancing circuit (I believe, Experts correct me).
It is made of two Li-poly batteries, the board balances the charge to individual batteries for safety.
The battery is made specifically for Mojo as a direct shoe-in.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #42,003 of 42,765
Some of the single cell 3.7v LI-ion batteries (but not all) have a board attached so I guess these are some kind of protection circuit.

I would like to rig up a larger Li-ion battery externally as back up. These appear to have the pcb. I think I would charge it separately though.

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/4001118531489.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.52553c00uC6u10&mp=1

Here is a battery charger.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...a1-3&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"12000024224751968"}

The 1500mAhr battery I got doesn't last long, but I am wondering if it is because it's driving an autoformer vol control.

Oct 27, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #42,004 of 42,765
The 1500mAhr battery I got doesn't last long, but I am wondering if it is because it's driving an autoformer vol control.
Is your Mojo connected to a headphone via the autoformer?
Or is the autoformer sitting between Mojo and an amp?
- If you are using headphones, seriously think again! because the output stage on Mojo uses feedback and has a very low impedance to drive the headphones.
Anything between Mojo and Headphones would cut into that, besides the volume control on Mojo works on highly resampled digital data, and according "Audio Science review" who incidentally are not friendly with @Rob Watts or Mojo, it was tested and its linearity was one of the best they had ever tested on any equipment!
The autoformer is a very good passive volume control, to be used in an amplifier, since the input (or interstage) section has high impedance and no direct feedback point.

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #42,005 of 42,765
Is your Mojo connected to a headphone via the autoformer?
Or is the autoformer sitting between Mojo and an amp?
- If you are using headphones, seriously think again! because the output stage on Mojo uses feedback and has a very low impedance to drive the headphones.
Anything between Mojo and Headphones would cut into that, besides the volume control on Mojo works on highly resampled digital data, and according "Audio Science review" who incidentally are not friendly with @Rob Watts or Mojo, it was tested and its linearity was one of the best they had ever tested on any equipment!
The autoformer is a very good passive volume control, to be used in an amplifier, since the input (or interstage) section has high impedance and no direct feedback point.

ASR just tells it like it is. They are not friendly or unfriendly. Just honest.

Oct 27, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #42,007 of 42,765
Oct 28, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #42,009 of 42,765
Between the mojo and my amp. When using headphones I connect the mojo direct to headphones. Is there any reason the mojo would not like an inductive load (about 100H). They are Slagle AVC from Intact Audio.
I wouldn't know, but 100 Henry is huge! are you sure?
Test sound at 1/4 volume with Autoformer and then using Mojo volume control.
see which one is better.

Oct 28, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #42,010 of 42,765
Don't know about your link, if it is the same as I had mentioned earlier (actually from @Julius Decimus I believe), then it behaves good.
I have had it in my Mojo since I last reported.
It charges fine, does not heat up, I get normal play time from it, though I do not time it any more, but last time I did, I got (USB) 8+ hours feeding my not-so-efficient Hifiman Sundara's.
I reckon one would get more play time with efficient headphones/IEMs and not using USB (for some reason Mojo uses a little more power on USB input).
Overall, nothing bad to report - it is working fine.

How do you find the Sundaras/Mojo pairing?

I'm planning to get my first decent set-up. I've decided on Sundaras, but contemplating the Chord Mojo, Earmen Sparrow or Earmen Colibri (due out in '15-30' days I was told).

There seems to be just an handful of Mojos left. I would also be keen on Mojo 2, but it appears to be under wraps with no confirmed release date.

Oct 28, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #42,011 of 42,765

I'm planning to get my first decent set-up. I've decided on Sundaras, but contemplating the Chord Mojo, Earmen Sparrow or Earmen Colibri (due out in '15-30' days I was told).

There seems to be just an handful of Mojos left. I would also be keen on Mojo 2, but it appears to be under wraps with no confirmed release date.
Sundara works with Mojo.
I mean it really works!
Mojo works with pretty much anything, thanx to its low output impedance and high power.
I tried Sennheiser HD660S , didn't like them, tried Dan Clark Aeon open X, its going on eBay soon - Sundara sounded best, it broke down within a month, so I got another!
they are that good.

Oct 28, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #42,012 of 42,765

Mojo + Sundara is very Dry sounding. iFi is a better pairing. The XD-05 Plus (with V5i) is also a good pairing. I've ordered and will get the Sparrow in 4 days, I can PM you on how it performs if you are interested.

Oct 28, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #42,013 of 42,765
Mojo + Sundara is very Dry sounding. iFi is a better pairing. The XD-05 Plus (with V5i) is also a good pairing. I've ordered and will get the Sparrow in 4 days, I can PM you on how it performs if you are interested.
That would great - thank you. I wasn't sure if the Sparrow would sufficiently power the Sundaras to their fullest potential - so I'd appreciate your findings!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back