Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 23, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #41,386 of 42,765
The Topping P50 , as good as it maybe, only provides 5V or 15V !
Mojo requires 7V min. upto 8.5V max.
Isn't there a mismatch in there, somewhere?
that's possible. I just tried it for fun & experiment since I had the P50 laying around. it worked fine so I guess i just stuck with it. maybe that's why with battery it sounds fuller and with the LPS leaner giving illusion of clarity. I'll listen some more.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #41,387 of 42,765
No minor upgrades. So if there is a Mojo II, it most likely will have improved sound quality.

Other improvements like
1. Including bluetooth in the Mojo (with atleast Aptx HD support)

2. I don't own Poly, but read that it is a pain to setup and needs a few improvements like being able to read songs in an SD Card instead of just playlists. A better android app, easier way to turn on the devices.... So an improved Poly with if possible a slightly lower price.

3. Single headphone out or maybe a different type of jack for second output (4.4mm, 2.5mm...). Not balanced, but something that works similar to a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter. For use with existing cables. Ex. My Sundara has a 4.4mm cable (Desktop use) and my Meze has a 2.5mm SPC cable. With such a second output, there wouldn't be a need to carry adapters.

3. A switch to bypass internal Amp for pure DAC use.

4. Type C USB. Cause why not

5. Switch to toggle between battery and external power. While I haven't had any problems, when I use Mojo in FPS games there's always a worry in the back of my mind about battery health.

Would be nice to see
The design/looks are subjective and I don't like or hate Mojo's design. As long as it sounds good, I'm happy.
#3 is not possible. The amplification provided by Mojo is integrated into the DAC I/V conversion, so that the actual digital to analog conversion is also the amplification stage, providing the most transparent operation possible (according to designer Rob Watts).

Apr 23, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #41,388 of 42,765
It has happened several times and I think the volume setting has no influence - the pink noise seems to be at or near the maximum output of the Mojo.

I initially bought one short and one long cable, and the long one had that intermittent pink noise issue. That cable was replaced.
2 years later the old cables were worn and I bought another short/long set, which work fine. So one out of 5 had the issue.
Oh no, haha I have already hurt myself while experimenting with my Mojo hahaha, will stay away of those cables then... most of the time at least, because I still love to use it with my Iphone...

Apr 23, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #41,389 of 42,765
I had that as well with defective Meenova Lightning-Micro USB cables. I am not sure what exactly happens, but it only happened with specific cables (I have several of those). Really loud, and with sensitive IEMs I imagine that it could reach dangerous levels.
You might be right. I reached out to Chord and they suggested it could be due to defective usb cable

Apr 23, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #41,390 of 42,765
#3 is not possible. The amplification provided by Mojo is integrated into the DAC I/V conversion, so that the actual digital to analog conversion is also the amplification stage, providing the most transparent operation possible (according to designer Rob Watts).
Got it. I read somewhere that sound improves with an external Amp, I don't remember if they were talking about Mojo specifically just that it was a Chord product. So I experimented, Mojo in Line out mode with a few Amps I had, nothing high end but the iFi xCAN, XD-05 in Amp mode (with V5i Opamp) and iFi Zen CAN. I didn't like it that much, the details were masked a bit and that 3d feeling (debth) wasn't as evident. It did kinda push the soundstage a bit further. In my head there were three possible reasons for not so good sound.

1. Missing true Line Out
2. Maybe I need a better Amp for said improvements
3. The internal amlification is the best one for Mojo

I should mention that the reason for experimentation is just out of curiosity not because I don't like the way Mojo sounds.

Apr 23, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #41,391 of 42,765
Got it. I read somewhere that sound improves with an external Amp, I don't remember if they were talking about Mojo specifically just that it was a Chord product. So I experimented, Mojo in Line out mode with a few Amps I had, nothing high end but the iFi xCAN, XD-05 in Amp mode (with V5i Opamp) and iFi Zen CAN. I didn't like it that much, the details were masked a bit and that 3d feeling (debth) wasn't as evident. It did kinda push the soundstage a bit further. In my head there were three possible reasons for not so good sound.

1. Missing true Line Out

I should mention that the reason for experimentation is just out of curiosity not because I don't like the way Mojo sounds.
Absolutely agree! I used Mojo for a long time with the Cavalli Liquid Carbon to drive Hifiman HE-6, which weren’t able to be fully driven from Mojo. Less transparent but a fun pairing. I wouldn’t discourage anyone from using an amp if it provides the sound they like. I eventually grew away from the slight euphonic character added by the LC and went toward maximum transparency. But with all Chord dacs, that will be driven directly into headphones (very few will need additional amplification).

Apr 24, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #41,392 of 42,765
Absolutely agree! I used Mojo for a long time with the Cavalli Liquid Carbon to drive Hifiman HE-6, which weren’t able to be fully driven from Mojo. Less transparent but a fun pairing. I wouldn’t discourage anyone from using an amp if it provides the sound they like. I eventually grew away from the slight euphonic character added by the LC and went toward maximum transparency. But with all Chord dacs, that will be driven directly into headphones (very few will need additional amplification).
Out of curiosity, when you say you eventually grew away from the slight euphonic character added by the LC and went toward maximum transparency; are you saying you drove the HE-6 directly from the Mojo?

Apr 24, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #41,393 of 42,765

1. Missing true Line Out

You bring up very good points; by missing a true line out you are essentially double-amping using an external amp.

Apr 24, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #41,394 of 42,765
Absolutely agree! I used Mojo for a long time with the Cavalli Liquid Carbon to drive Hifiman HE-6, which weren’t able to be fully driven from Mojo. Less transparent but a fun pairing
For me the XD-05 (Opamp V5i) as an Amp provides that effect. The overall sound is not that transparent and detailed but brings a different flavour to some tracks that's nice to listen to at times. It makes listening to Sundara more fun with it's bass boost. I'd imagine something like the XD-05 Plus would be an even better pairing with more power, bass switch, Opamp swap to change sound to one's taste.... The iFi Amps for me, were not a good match for Mojo. The pairing sounded just a bit too smooth and laid back, nice bass boost (with xBass) though.

Apr 24, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #41,395 of 42,765
You bring up very good points; by missing a true line out you are essentially double-amping using an external amp.
Not really. This is a little confusing but the Mojo (and other Chord DACs) do not have a classical headphone amplifier stage after. The analog conversion of the DAC is designed powerful enough to directly drive the headphones. This provides maximum transparency.
So using the Mojo with an external amp is not double amping, because the Mojo is just doing D/A conversion, no amping.

Apr 24, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #41,397 of 42,765
You can think of Mojo and other Chord dacs as having *only* true line out that can be variable and more powerful than other dacs’ output. All dacs have to convert the digital signal to analog, and so have an analog amp stage. Rob Watts has designed his to be both powerful and transparent with discrete class A output. That is probably the single most discussed topic in this thread.

Apr 24, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #41,398 of 42,765
The question of amplifier out and DAC out etc. only become the most discussed, because people automatically assume that a MOBILE device should have them!
Frankly they don't, unless the device in question is trying to be all things to all men, in order to sell, Mojo doesn't need to, it sells on sound quality alone, thank you very much.
Those who insist on getting extra uses from Mojo, such as desktop use, DAC only use, amplifier only use etc. keep discussing it.
Otherwise, frankly I think that 3 digital inputs on a mobile device, is an overkill! let alone having all those input -outputs people demand.
Get a desktop DAC, and all the arguments are valid, but on a battery operated Mobile Joy device? c'mon ..

Apr 24, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #41,399 of 42,765
You can think of Mojo and other Chord dacs as having *only* true line out that can be variable and more powerful than other dacs’ output. All dacs have to convert the digital signal to analog, and so have an analog amp stage. Rob Watts has designed his to be both powerful and transparent with discrete class A output. That is probably the single most discussed topic in this thread.
I stand corrected. In fact i just remembered reading something from RW years ago explaining there is only 1 gain stage following the D/A conversion as opposed to multiple gain stages in most other DAC/amps.
So yeah, the design keeps the signal as pure as possible and the ability to vary the signal level (volume control) essentially means it acts as an amp as well.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #41,400 of 42,765
Dalším krokem bylo opětovné sestavení, proto jsem použil část lepidla na baterii a přilepil ji na superkondenzátor, aby se zajistilo, že superkondenzátor nebude chrastit kolem:
1615846640262.png

Také jsem přidal nějaké vycpávky na spodní stranu superkondenzátoru, aby to dobře sedělo a neodlepovalo se:

1615847012310.png

A je to, teď mám Mojo, který nepotřebuje baterii, jsem si jist, že to není způsob, jakým by Rob Watts zamýšlel, aby Mojo fungoval, pokud vím zítra, můj superkapacitor by mohl vyhodit a zničit moji jednotku, zatím to bylo všechno dobré. Udělejte to na své vlastní riziko.

1615847293249.png

Část 2 ze 2.
Super

Users who are viewing this thread

Back