Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 4, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #41,071 of 42,773
I wonder whether it works the same way as apple? Do android phones require a chip in the connection piece? I know apple devices require one and by using the CCK (which has one incorporated) you can connect any other cable. If it doesn’t require a chip then in theory any cable would do

Android doesn't have any of the requirements Apple does when it comes to cables. I think OTG is less important with USB-C as USB-C should easily communicate both ways. I believe Micro-USB requires OTG to tell the device it's in "host" mode.

I might be completely off-base though, so don't take my word as gospel.

Feb 4, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #41,072 of 42,773
Android doesn't have any of the requirements Apple does when it comes to cables. I think OTG is less important with USB-C as USB-C should easily communicate both ways. I believe Micro-USB requires OTG to tell the device it's in "host" mode.

I might be completely off-base though, so don't take my word as gospel.
I found this which explains it:

You've probably already tried to use an adapter to connect a USB device up to your phone with no joy. This goes back to the phone's functionality as both a host and a peripheral. By design, the phone acts as a peripheral unless it receives a signal to enter host mode. That signal is provided by an additional pin in the OTG cable. When the phone detects this pin, it allows connectivity to your USB devices.

There are also powered versions of the connector.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #41,073 of 42,773
I don't know anything about these cables ... I read that FiiO CL06 would work perfectly, but I was looking for a slightly longer cable, even cheaper if it exists.
Unfortunately the trend for connecting a dac to a phone is by very short cables, a few inches at most. Longer cables are difficult to find.
The OTG is achieved by a small resistor connected by one of the pins on the plug to the ground. Once plugged in, a small current flows through the resistor telling the phone a device other than a charger is plugged in!
As explained in the Samsung link,the phone finds out what is connected, does a handshake, device is recognized and connected.
Additional problem is, that the USB_C plug should be OTG wired, not the micro usb side! - go figure.
So search for OTG USB-C to micro usb cable (not OTG micro usb to usb-c).
That is why I make own cables to be sure.
For example:
This cable maybe wrong, yet a user says it works from phone to audiolab dac.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #41,077 of 42,773
I have my Mojo attached to my iPad by the Apple Lightning to USB camera kit (the one that also has the possibility to charge your iPad).

So it goes: iPad -> Apple CCK -> USB to Micro USB cable -> Mojo

This works fine. But i was thinking if an Audioquest Dragontail Micro USB to USB female would work, too.

So like this: iPad -> Lightning to USB cable -> Audioquest Dragontail USB female to Micro USB -> Mojo

Would that work?

Feb 7, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #41,078 of 42,773
I have my Mojo attached to my iPad by the Apple Lightning to USB camera kit (the one that also has the possibility to charge your iPad).

So it goes: iPad -> Apple CCK -> USB to Micro USB cable -> Mojo

This works fine. But i was thinking if an Audioquest Dragontail Micro USB to USB female would work, too.

So like this: iPad -> Lightning to USB cable -> Audioquest Dragontail USB female to Micro USB -> Mojo

Would that work?
Deleted

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #41,081 of 42,773
I just shook my bal…erm…Mojo and there is ZERO rattling whatsoever. My bal…erm…Mojo is roughly 5 years old, connected with Poly for roughly 4 years.

Feb 9, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #41,083 of 42,773
I am unlucky and sleep in the same room as i am using my Mojo with my computer, and if i forget to remove the charging cable, i will listen to the rattling/hissing sound to my bed, and its kinda annoying😅 Maybe Poly would help?

Feb 10, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #41,085 of 42,773
I use Chord Mojo with a Xiaomi smartphone and I find it wonderful ... but I was wondering: would there be an improvement by pairing it with a DAP or a better smartphone like LG?
In theory no.

The only thing that may happen is that the phone software may somehow reduce the sampling rate (someone please correct me but I believe some android phones have a top limit of 48khz). As long as the “correct” unadulterated file is transmitted to the mojo from your source there will be no difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back