Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 29, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #38,041 of 42,765
I have to do anything specific to use it without battery? or just open it, unplug/remove the battery and connect to the charger?.

And, yes. I haven’t personally tried it yet, but others report simply disconnect the battery, put the case back together, plug it in and turn it on. I also have a launch unit that now only gives <4 hours (with Poly...seems to provide more on its own using optical, so not sure if it’s USB or Poly than takes more juice than optical). I ordered a new battery but will test without when I switch it.

Jan 29, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #38,042 of 42,765
Use as intended is for portable use. Did you have it plugged in continuously for months? I sympathize with the fact that you had replaced two batteries, but lithium powered devices left plugged in continuously will likely die prematurely. That’s just the way it is. Leaving a lithium battery plugged in for extended periods and at above 4.1V/cel can be more detrimental than heat or charge cycles. I know John was posting about how great the battery in the Mojo is but it is still subject to the limitations of lithium chemistry. I feel that it was unfortunate that the impression was given that it would be unharmful to leave plugged in.

/QUOTE]

Well, Rob Watts specifically stated many times that the Mojo was designed to be plugged in all the time (and switched off when not in use) - information that is still present in the first posts of this thread. I bought it based on this.. for me, if the engineer that created the device states something I tend to believe it to be true.
Now, my Mojo has seen a lot of daily use, always plugged in, but I estimate under 3000 hours of use on each battery, which is way less than the 10.000 they were talking about.

I'm not contradicting the Li-ion battery facts, is just that in case of Mojo it was either a design flaw, either not enough testing with the batteries/charging - I think they truly believed these are the features of the battery, the device simply didn't deliver the numbers.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #38,043 of 42,765
Well, Rob Watts specifically stated many times that the Mojo was designed to be plugged in all the time (and switched off when not in use) - information that is still present in the first posts of this thread. I bought it based on this.. for me, if the engineer that created the device states something I tend to believe it to be true.
Now, my Mojo has seen a lot of daily use, always plugged in, but I estimate under 3000 hours of use on each battery, which is way less than the 10.000 they were talking about.

I'm not contradicting the Li-ion battery facts, is just that in case of Mojo it was either a design flaw, either not enough testing with the batteries/charging - I think they truly believed these are the features of the battery, the device simply didn't deliver the numbers.
Like @x RELIC x I sympathise with your situation.

It is true that when the Mojo was first released over 3 years ago, both Rob and Chord were confident that the battery would be robust enough to be used in desktop mode, and have a lifetime of 10000 hrs.
After about two years, long time posters on this thread started to notice that if an owner posted about experiencing battery issues, they would often explain that they had been using the Mojo in desktop mode, on charge for a long time.
Consequently for the past year, the advice given on this thread has been to avoid leaving a Mojo permanently on charge.

Sadly it does seem as if the battery manufacturer, may have been a tad optimistic in the battery lifetime (under permanent charge) that was promised to Chord.

Jan 29, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #38,044 of 42,765
I will be reviewing Chord Mojo in-depth really soon :)

In the meanwhile, I managed to take a pic of it during my review of Campfire Atlas. First impressions also coming soon :)

Campfire-Atlas-Audiophile-Heaven-Review-IEMs-In-Ear-Monitors-CA-Earphones-photo-44.jpg

Campfire-Atlas-Audiophile-Heaven-Review-IEMs-In-Ear-Monitors-CA-Earphones-photo-46.jpg

Jan 29, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #38,045 of 42,765
Like @x RELIC x I sympathise with your situation.

It is true that when the Mojo was first released over 3 years ago, both Rob and Chord were confident that the battery would be robust enough to be used in desktop mode, and have a lifetime of 10000 hrs.
After about two years, long time posters on this thread started to notice that if an owner posted about experiencing battery issues, they would often explain that they had been using the Mojo in desktop mode, on charge for a long time.
Consequently for the past year, the advice given on this thread has been to avoid leaving a Mojo permanently on charge.

Sadly it does seem as if the battery manufacturer, may have been a tad optimistic in the battery lifetime (under permanent charge) that was promised to Chord.

Do you think the same for Hugo2?

Perhaps not leaving it plugged in full time?

Jan 29, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #38,046 of 42,765

Hugo 2 is different. It actually has a real desktop mode where it stops charging while left plugged in and on for longer than 24 hours.

Jan 29, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #38,047 of 42,765

Hugo2’s desktop mode keeps the batteries at less than 4.1V/cel, which is what you want. It’s been covered waaaay back in the Hugo2 thread. Rob thought out desktop mode well for the Hugo2.

Jan 29, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #38,048 of 42,765
I will be reviewing Chord Mojo in-depth really soon :)

In the meanwhile, I managed to take a pic of it during my review of Campfire Atlas. First impressions also coming soon :)

Campfire-Atlas-Audiophile-Heaven-Review-IEMs-In-Ear-Monitors-CA-Earphones-photo-44.jpg

Campfire-Atlas-Audiophile-Heaven-Review-IEMs-In-Ear-Monitors-CA-Earphones-photo-46.jpg

Just remember George, it’s technically very different from traditional DAC/amp combos and you can’t really seperate the sound of the Pulse Array DAC from it’s analogue output (headphone out). Looking forward to your thoughts but I suspect you might not like it’s warmer sound given how much you like a bright signature.

Jan 30, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #38,049 of 42,765
Just remember George, it’s technically very different from traditional DAC/amp combos and you can’t really seperate the sound of the Pulse Array DAC from it’s analogue output (headphone out). Looking forward to your thoughts but I suspect you might not like it’s warmer sound given how much you like a bright signature.

I absolutely agree with you, it is a really different kind of sound. It actually takes me a while to get used to it.

I kind of got the love for it from audio workers in Romania, who showed me exactly where a sound like Mojo comes in really hand - when doing mixing, mastering and music production. The absolute clarity and detail of Mojo is really handy for those working in music production, and now this is getting addictive. It is like an industry standard here to use it as a DAC for music production.

Jan 30, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #38,050 of 42,765
I absolutely agree with you, it is a really different kind of sound. It actually takes me a while to get used to it.

I kind of got the love for it from audio workers in Romania, who showed me exactly where a sound like Mojo comes in really hand - when doing mixing, mastering and music production. The absolute clarity and detail of Mojo is really handy for those working in music production, and now this is getting addictive. It is like an industry standard here to use it as a DAC for music production.

Might be a convert here :). I remember your first experiences were not over-favourable. But as many have found, it deserves a long term listen.

Jan 30, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #38,053 of 42,765
If you were to use Mojo without the battery as a line out configuration then would it still be able to provide the same power? I think i remember Rob posting that the battery is still needed for voltage or something but i cant remember what it was.

Jan 30, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #38,054 of 42,765
If you were to use Mojo without the battery as a line out configuration then would it still be able to provide the same power? I think i remember Rob posting that the battery is still needed for voltage or something but i cant remember what it was.

Here you go...

No it is OK without the battery from a damage POV. Also, I saw no measurement changes when testing without the battery - but if Mojo needs dynamic power from driving difficult current loads, then you will need the battery to be replaced, as the battery is capable of supplying very large currents under dynamic conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back