Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 20, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #38,012 of 42,765
Jan 20, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #38,013 of 42,765
Just a crazy thought....Have anyone ever tried connecting to both the outputs from the Mojo, one for each channel of the same headphone? I am wondering if it will replicate balanced output?

VHbCNEy

https://imgur.com/VHbCNEy

Attachments

• Mojo connection.jpg
    Mojo connection.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 0
Jan 20, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #38,014 of 42,765
Just a crazy thought....Have anyone ever tried connecting to both the outputs from the Mojo, one for each channel of the same headphone? I am wondering if it will replicate balanced output?

VHbCNEy

https://imgur.com/VHbCNEy
Well headphones are designed to play stereo signals thru their left and right ear cups. The out put of Mojo is stereo output not the mono one so you can't use it like that.

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #38,015 of 42,765
Well headphones are designed to play stereo signals thru their left and right ear cups. The out put of Mojo is stereo output not the mono one so you can't use it like that.

The idea is to take the right channel signal from one output and the left one from the other and feed it respectively to the headphone.

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #38,016 of 42,765
The idea is to take the right channel signal from one output and the left one from the other and feed it respectively to the headphone.
Ok I misunderstood earlier

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #38,017 of 42,765
Wow that's awesome. Wish I had the skills to build one.

It's not that difficult. Just soldering 4 wires is basically it. I'm sure most people can do it. It was easier than I thought...

As far as I know they are just two parallel connected ports. There are no seperation between the two outputs. You would not achieve anything by that...?

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #38,018 of 42,765
It's not that difficult. Just soldering 4 wires is basically it. I'm sure most people can do it. It was easier than I thought...

As far as I know they are just two parallel connected ports. There are no seperation between the two outputs. You would not achieve anything by that...?

I was thinking there is more to it. Chord must have implemented some smart logic to impedance match two different earphones of different impedances connected together.

Jan 23, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #38,019 of 42,765
Hi guys, hesitating buying Chord Mojo to hopefully upgrade my home HiFi setups.
Do you think I'll get a clear sound quality improvement vs my current DAC (Marantz PM 6005)? Or should I better focus on upgrading another element of my system?

Home Setup 1 :
1. NAS Synology >
2. Raspberry 3 B & HifiBerry Digi+ (optical ouptul) + Volumio >
3. Marantz PM 6005 (integrated DAC: Cirrus Logic CS4398) >
4. Focal Chorus 826 or AKG K702

Setup 2:
1. DAP Pioneer XDP-100R (analog out) >
2. Marantz PM 6005 (integrated DAC: Cirrus Logic CS4398) >
3. Focal Chorus 826 or AKG K702
Many Thanks

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #38,020 of 42,765
Curious, I have a peugeot 308, it has a usb insert for media, how would I connect the mojo to my car? Mojo only has one micro usb for otg, how would I connect my phone to mojo for playback if I already have an otg cable going from mojo to car usb?

Jan 23, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #38,021 of 42,765
Curious, I have a peugeot 308, it has a usb insert for media, how would I connect the mojo to my car? Mojo only has one micro usb for otg, how would I connect my phone to mojo for playback if I already have an otg cable going from mojo to car usb?
Search the thread, because I remember a few posts did mention using a cable from the mojo headphone socket, to the car hifi analogue in socket. Sound quality was better than the existing car hifi system.

Jan 23, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #38,022 of 42,765
Hi guys, hesitating buying Chord Mojo to hopefully upgrade my home HiFi setups.
Do you think I'll get a clear sound quality improvement vs my current DAC (Marantz PM 6005)? Or should I better focus on upgrading another element of my system?

Home Setup 1 :
1. NAS Synology >
2. Raspberry 3 B & HifiBerry Digi+ (optical ouptul) + Volumio >
3. Marantz PM 6005 (integrated DAC: Cirrus Logic CS4398) >
4. Focal Chorus 826 or AKG K702

Setup 2:
1. DAP Pioneer XDP-100R (analog out) >
2. Marantz PM 6005 (integrated DAC: Cirrus Logic CS4398) >
3. Focal Chorus 826 or AKG K702
Many Thanks

I don't know which component is the bottleneck in your system, but I can tell you that after connecting the Mojo to my Stereo for test purposes I quickly kicked out the 15kg/€3000 DAC I had in there and replaced it with a Chord 2Qute. It really transformed my system. The improvement with the stereo system was even more noticeable than with headphones.

However - be careful with the Mojo, it is not advisable to keep it connected to a charger, there are many reports that this leads to early battery failure. in all fairness it was never designed for this use case. Alternatives for stationary use are a used HUGO (1) or used 2Qute (fixed output voltage of 3Vrms)

Jan 23, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #38,023 of 42,765

It won't make a difference. The Mojo output is nothing else but 2 jacks connected to the same amplifier circuit - the signal on both is exactly the same.
The good news is that the Mojo DAC and amplifier circuit have such clean signals that there is no benefit from going balanced, single ended is all you need.

Jan 23, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #38,025 of 42,765
I don't know which component is the bottleneck in your system, but I can tell you that after connecting the Mojo to my Stereo for test purposes I quickly kicked out the 15kg/€3000 DAC I had in there and replaced it with a Chord 2Qute. It really transformed my system. The improvement with the stereo system was even more noticeable than with headphones.

However - be careful with the Mojo, it is not advisable to keep it connected to a charger, there are many reports that this leads to early battery failure. in all fairness it was never designed for this use case. Alternatives for stationary use are a used HUGO (1) or used 2Qute (fixed output voltage of 3Vrms)

Thanks ! will try to dig into these battery failure reports. To be honest I looked at the Mojo because of the price. Not willing to put 1500 or 2000 in a DAC.
Compared to my Pioneer DAP or on top of it, should I expect much better quality as well? Or should I just stick to the DAP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back