Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 16, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #37,639 of 42,765
So in reviews people say Mojo sounds warmer. I am not a fan of this because I want a natural sound.

Let's talk in numbers. In a scale of 0-5-10 (warm-neutral-bright) how do you rate Mojo ?

Nov 17, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #37,640 of 42,765
So in reviews people say Mojo sounds warmer. I am not a fan of this because I want a natural sound.

Let's talk in numbers. In a scale of 0-5-10 (warm-neutral-bright) how do you rate Mojo ?

I agree with Relic that ‘4’ captures what you are asking. But you also have to have the context of what are you comparing to with your question? Other gear? The actual sound of live music? Many have noted that Mojo sounds warmer than other gear, but also that it is more faithful and technically cleaner than other gear. I really found that it takes a few weeks to really have your brain “burn in” and appreciate the technicalities and musicality of what Mojo provides.

Nov 17, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #37,641 of 42,765
I agree with Relic that ‘4’ captures what you are asking. But you also have to have the context of what are you comparing to with your question? Other gear? The actual sound of live music? Many have noted that Mojo sounds warmer than other gear, but also that it is more faithful and technically cleaner than other gear. I really found that it takes a few weeks to really have your brain “burn in” and appreciate the technicalities and musicality of what Mojo provides.

Agree, well said. There’s so much more than just tonality.

Nov 17, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #37,643 of 42,765
I read that the easther m1pro combined with the mojo is the best combo, perhaps because it has the femto clock?

You don't need a DAP if you use Mojo. You can just use your smartphone. Sound quality is the same because Smartphone/DAP 's DAC and AMP get bypassed anyway when you attach Mojo. Mojo's DAC and AMP matters.

Smartphone

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #37,645 of 42,765
Ok. Interestingly, I looked at the Mojo's frequency response graph and it is completely flat between 20-20k hz. Technically it shouldn't color the sound but everyone says that it does.

I honestly don’t think it colours the sound really. I mean, on your scale 4 is very close to neutral and then again that’s compare to what? Most other audio gear? The DAVE and Mojo share a similar tonality to my ears but obviously the DAVE has more going for it. Does that mean it’s also coloured, or most audio gear is just a bit bright?

Also, frequency response graphs don’t account for noise floor modulation which will give the perception of brighter sound. Mojo has no noise floor modulation making it sound smoother/warmer. You can search Rob Watt’s posts for a more technical explanation.

Nov 17, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #37,646 of 42,765
I read that the easther m1pro combined with the mojo is the best combo, perhaps because it has the femto clock?

I had the M1 Pro on loan for a few weeks and I have to say the Coax out was really something , or maybe it was the custom cable they included? Or maybe even a bit of both.?

The sound was very full and meaty with great clarity and liquidity ,it rivals my optimized toslink setup for sure.

The thing is is... the dac section is just okay, nothing special to my ears but not bad either, it just didn’t engage me compared to cheaper solutions I’ve heard.

Nov 17, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #37,647 of 42,765
Ok. Interestingly, I looked at the Mojo's frequency response graph and it is completely flat between 20-20k hz. Technically it shouldn't color the sound but everyone says that it does.

The treble ‘sounds like it’s rolled off’ at the very top and the bass can become a little thick and muddy but I’ve only heard this to stand out a lot on the more resolving earphones like IE800S but only slightly noticeable on mid fi headphones. However it is a very refined, detailed and musical sound. As with any equipment you should try it out to see if it pairs well with your headphones/iems.

Remember the Mojo was designed to take away the harshness of cheap headphones that sound thin and have harsh treble. (From a John Franks interview)

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #37,648 of 42,765

I don't think it's warm. It does bass fantastic though. I don't think it's bright. It does highs fantastic though. The mids are true. I guess, on your scale, it's a 5.

Nov 17, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #37,650 of 42,765
6 month Poly owner here. Im taking another crack at getting my Poly set up proper. Have been resorting to Hotspot mode.

I CAN DO:
1. hotspot mode, control from BubbleUPNP
2. hotspot mode, control from laptop (roon)

I CANNOT DO:
1. Connect to my router.

I had it working at my last house. Not sure how that happened. the new house is the same internet and same model router, but different router.

The other week I deleted all the saved networks and readded mine. I got it to work briefly through WIFI to use BUbbleupnp on my phone, was super excited but when I got home from work it didnt work again.

Here is What I have tried so far today:
1. hard reset poly with config pin.
(Didn't work. My wifi network is still saved in the poly even though it wont connect)
2. Pull apart Mojo and poly. Turn off Mojo. Turn on mojo. plug in poly. Put in hotspot mode. connect to poly with laptop. open poly in browser. delete wifi connection info. refresh page. confirm it is gone. readd wifi info. Press save. refresh page, press "Manage connections", wifi is saved. use config pin to change mode to "Network Mode"
(Didn't work. connect laptop to wifi, open router, no poly device connected. Open Roon, no device visible. Open BubbleUPNP on phone, no device visible. POLY LIGHT IS SOLID YELLOW???)

3. factory reset using pushpin.

4. DEVICE HAS NOT FACTORY RESET!!!!!! Gofigure for android still recognizes it as "rex". Gofigure says I am connected to the wifi network. current play mode "Everything else".
(Router does not show Poly as a connected device. BubbleUPNP on phone does find a poly)

5. change router name to get rid of a "-" now only letters and numbers. Enter Network mode, everything else. Poly Status is solid Yellow.

FINAL DIAGNOSE:
1. Poly has solid yellow light in network mode, everything else
2. Poly does not show up as a connected device in my router.
3. Poly does not show up in BubbleUPNP
4. GOFigure says: POLY has the new name that I named it, and the new network. Go figure says I am connected to the network.
5. Use gofigure to switch to ROON mode.
6. Computer cannot find ROON through network.

Ok. so I officially give up again.

ANY suggestions would be nice.
You will probably get more answers if you post in the Poly thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back