Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Sep 30, 2018 at 2:37 AM Post #37,411 of 42,765
Chord's distribution network will be able to supply replacement batteries for you.

320 ohms is an easy load, so no worries there. It's my default load for measurements, and the charger will easily supply enough current for that.

Yes dispose of it through the appropriate disposal.

Thanks Rob, you've been of great help along with @miketlse.

If it's not too much to ask, what is the highest impedance the Mojo can accept and perform normally without battery?

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #37,412 of 42,765
My Chord Mojo which was purchased since the release has finally succumb to a bloating battery. I had it removed today and I'm using it without battery through powered USB.

Seems to work fine for now but I don't know the implications (if any) down the road. Also, have contacted a few local retailers to see if they can just let me purchase the battery without having to send my unit back. Then again, if it works fine without the battery, I think it might be better as I mainly use it as a desktop solution.

This is cool. Can I ask exactly how you are powering Mojo without the battery (pictures if possible)? Could be a good permanent desktop solution.

Sep 30, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #37,414 of 42,765
This is cool. Can I ask exactly how you are powering Mojo without the battery (pictures if possible)? Could be a good permanent desktop solution.

After completely removing the battery from the Mojo, you can keep it powered by the USB charging port as per how you usually charge the device. Instead this time you have to make sure it's permanently connected to maintain power for usage.

In my case, I use an iPad 12W Charging Adapter and a quality 1.5m micro USB cable.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #37,415 of 42,765
After completely removing the battery from the Mojo, you can keep it powered by the USB charging port as per how you usually charge the device. Instead this time you have to make sure it's permanently connected to maintain power for usage.

In my case, I use an iPad 12W Charging Adapter and a quality 1.5m micro USB cable.

Oh, simple. Thanks! I think I’ll buy a 2nd mojo for portable use with Poly and use my current Mojo for desktop duty. It’s a good system but probably won’t benefit as much as the system I’ll build around the TT2 and eventually, mScaler.

Sep 30, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #37,416 of 42,765
My Chord Mojo which was purchased since the release has finally succumb to a bloating battery. I had it removed today and I'm using it without battery through powered USB.

Seems to work fine for now but I don't know the implications (if any) down the road. Also, have contacted a few local retailers to see if they can just let me purchase the battery without having to send my unit back. Then again, if it works fine without the battery, I think it might be better as I mainly use it as a desktop solution.
My Mojo battery are also degenerating and bulging against the IC board after two and half years. Likewise, I removed the battery and it still sounds as good as before. Actually, I prefer it without battery for I have been using it wholly as desktop DAC/Amp and it is much cooler than before when playing music. Besides, I don't have to worry about battery any more and save significant money too.

Sep 30, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #37,417 of 42,765
My Mojo battery are also degenerating and bulging against the IC board after two and half years. Likewise, I removed the battery and it still sounds as good as before. Actually, I prefer it without battery for I have been using it wholly as desktop DAC/Amp and it is much cooler than before when playing music. Besides, I don't have to worry about battery any more and save significant money too.

May I ask, how long have you been using it in this battery-less configuration? I have had the unit turn off on me once yesterday. Does it also turn off on you sometimes?

Sep 30, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #37,418 of 42,765
Thanks Rob, you've been of great help along with @miketlse.

If it's not too much to ask, what is the highest impedance the Mojo can accept and perform normally without battery?

I was worried you would ask me this one... 300 ohms you definitely would not need to worry about dynamic currents, as the peak current level is too small. On the other hand, 8 ohms you would need to worry for sure - you would absolutely need the battery here. It also depends upon sensitivity, of your HP and how loud you like it. So if removing the battery makes no noticeable difference, then you are fine, and my best guess would be that would be the position till about 33 ohms or less. But it's very much YMWV.

Oct 1, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #37,420 of 42,765
I was worried you would ask me this one... 300 ohms you definitely would not need to worry about dynamic currents, as the peak current level is too small. On the other hand, 8 ohms you would need to worry for sure - you would absolutely need the battery here. It also depends upon sensitivity, of your HP and how loud you like it. So if removing the battery makes no noticeable difference, then you are fine, and my best guess would be that would be the position till about 33 ohms or less. But it's very much YMWV.

Thanks again Rob. My earphones are usually between 32 – 320 ohms. So far the few pairs that I use frequently are not exhibiting any issues. I'll have to go bring out my low impedance CIEMs to try. I think I'm not adept enough when it comes to Ohms and sensitivity. I always thought the lower the impedance the easier to drive (e.g. through smart phones). Guess I need to do even more reading on my own on this issue.

I removed the battery earlier today and have played music for more than 3 hours without any problem. I'll report back if any problem does occur.

It turned off on me once during the 10 – 11 hour mark. I guess it might also be that I live near the equator and the warm climate coupled with long hour use triggered the heat protection feature. I'll also use it more and report back if I face more of such case. I remember my Mojo running much warmer with battery, but it didn't turn off on me.

Oct 3, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #37,424 of 42,765
Yes lower impedance often means easier to drive, as the headphone amp is often voltage and not current limited (certainly through smart phones). Also IEMs are extremely sensitive, and so the current drawn is very low anyway.

Sorry Rob! One more question for you... is it fine to use the Mojo in "Line Out" mode to feed an amp when without the battery?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back