Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Sep 13, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #37,337 of 42,765
Does mojo pair well with the Aeon Flow Closed. Im considering a DAP for my Aeon, budget is around 500 550. Within this price range would you recommend anything better? Tks

That pairing should be really excellent.
I have the Mojo with Audioqest NightHawk and NightOwl, based on the fact that the NightHawk used to be the preferred pair of Rob Watts, the Mojo developer (and that the AQ HPs were beind sold off at really good prices)
Rob Watts has however upgraded to the AEON Closed paired with Mojo as his preferred closed HP for travelling. IMHO that is a really strong recommendation.

EDIT: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...n-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/page-2370#post-14087863

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #37,338 of 42,765
I was tempted by the Hiby R3 exactly for my Mojo. There seems to be a lot of people enjoying that specific combination with USB-C out to the COAX.

Could you share a bit more about your experience? TIA.

I have been using the R3 with my Mojo for a couple of months now.
I didn't like the R3 sound that much with the older FW, but the user interface and touch screen are quite good and sizewise it's a great match with the Mojo, especially with my DIY case.
I have been using it with the HiBy Coax cable and the Shanling L2 micro-USB cable, and in the beginning I found the Shanling cable to sound more open and transparent, but after the SW update I could not reproduce those differences. Mechanically the HiBy coax cable is a great solution.

Edit:
Build quality on my unit was flawless
One issue I did have is that with the Wifi in the R3 activated I had some interference which showed as a low volume background noise at regular intervals, maybe every 5...10s. that could be an issue if you are planning to use Tidal, which I have not done so far.
I only perceived this noise when stacking the R3 and Mojo, so it might be possible to shield the Mojo from the RFI with a metal plate between the R3 and the Mojo. There is 1mm of space between the units in my case, I might try putting a 1mm aluminum plate in there.

Recommended
IMG_8073.JPG IMG_8070.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #37,339 of 42,765
A bit lost with options for cables/connectors here.

Is a usb mini to 3.5mm a thing?

Ideally, I'd get one nice cable to use for: DP-S1 -> Mojo -> IEMs, Macbook -> Mojo -> IEMs, and (via dongle) iPhone -> Mojo -> IEMs

Apparently line-out on the Onkyo dap is only through the usb mini, it's whether that could go to 3.5mm coax (which could then be used with macbook) or whether a usb mini - usb mini is required. If there's other options.. please.

Sep 16, 2018 at 5:18 AM Post #37,340 of 42,765
I am facing an issue with Mojo and USB.... when I connect it to the phone the red light switches on, but no music. tried this with different cables and Android and Macbook, same result.

With the Apple laptop, the mojo won't show anymore.

I cured this a few days ago, when switching to optical input and then the usb worked again, but now again it the phone / laptop won't recognize Mojo.

I will try the optical input when I get home, but it this a hardware or software problem?

Anyone else experience this?

Sep 16, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #37,341 of 42,765
Well, my mojo/ploy has meet it’s end via a 3 year old with a fetish for flushing things down the toilet. So does anyone have word on a mojo 2 or something of the like in the pipeline? I’d hate to drop a grand on the replacement only to have a new model released in a few months.

Sep 16, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #37,343 of 42,765
Well, my mojo/ploy has meet it’s end via a 3 year old with a fetish for flushing things down the toilet. So does anyone have word on a mojo 2 or something of the like in the pipeline? I’d hate to drop a grand on the replacement only to have a new model released in a few months.

Oh no!!!! That's a really unfitting end to a Chord Mojo :triportsad::triportsad::triportsad:

I remember reading some statements maybe half a year ago that no Mojo 2 is in the works or planned.
It also depends on available FPGA chips, which have much longer life cycles than the consumer electronics parts.

Maybe time for a used Hugo, or even a Hugo 2?

Sep 16, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #37,344 of 42,765
so I tried optical and back to USB, and definitely not working anymore

Could it be a lose micro-USB connector? Mechanically the micro USB is really not such a great connector...

Sep 16, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #37,345 of 42,765
well i am selling my microrendu (1.4 upgrade) with some accessories (new unused mojo/hugo2 curious cable, dc 4 cable etc)
...my Kef LS 50 W speakers have a Roon app built in so there is no need for such.
...plus no longer listen to cans very much (if at all)...prefer live speakers.

thing is, too: the more i have my chord mojo the more i appreciate its briilliant (and deceptive) simplicity:
no worrying about upgrading cable or interconnects (transmission/noise or grounding issues etc) given it's being battery operated.
so I can enjoy great sound anywhere i am...what's not to love.
(i'm not a hardcore audiophile...increasingly i prefer the 'less is more' approach the further i go along)

i wonder if an upgraded 'mojo2' will be in the works come the Jan CSA show.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #37,346 of 42,765
well i am selling my microrendu (1.4 upgrade) with some accessories (new curious cable, dc 4 cable etc)
...my Kef LS 50 W speakers have a Roon app built in so there is no need for such.
...plus no longer listen to cans very much (if at all)...prefer live speakers.

thing is, too: the more i have my chord mojo the more i appreciate it as there is no worrying about
upgrading cable or interconnects (transmission/noise or grounding issues etc) given it's being battery operated.
so I can enjoy great sound anywhere i am...what's not to love.
(i'm not a hardcore audiophile...increasingly i prefer the 'less is more' approach the further i go along)

i wonder if an upgraded 'mojo2' will be in the works come the Jan CSA show.

Well, the timing is right for an upgrade sometime next year.

I have no idea how many Mojos Chord has sold, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s approaching 100,000. They hit it out of the ballpark with such a novel design.

Sep 16, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #37,348 of 42,765
I haven't listened to this combo for a while but Mojo (toslink input) + CA Vega surprised me again on how good this combo sounds. CA Vega's DD really loves Mojo's driving power. Too bad CA Andromeda hates Mojo, sounding hissy, too dark and muted treble sparkle for my ears.
42911821290_8d91f02ccb_k.jpg

Sep 16, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #37,349 of 42,765
What about the Atlas in comparison?

To my ears the Andromeda doesn't lack treble sparkle (at all), it's just that the broad 6½ dB hump at 125 Hz clouds it. I for one never rely on the factory settings of IEMs and headphones, and here the correction is easy.

10168488.jpg

Sep 16, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #37,350 of 42,765
What about the Atlas in comparison?

To my ears the Andromeda doesn't lack treble sparkle (at all), it's just that the broad 6½ dB hump at 125 Hz clouds it. I for one never rely on the factory settings of IEMs and headphones, and here the correction is easy.

10168488.jpg

That’s why I use a DAP (iPod Touch 6th gen) with higher OI (1.7 ohms) for my CA Andromeda since that midbass boominess is 100% eliminated while the treble is now slightly forward and more sprarkly sounding which I prefer.

Atlas should behave like Vega but I didn’t have a chance to pair it with Mojo when I demoed it on CanJam. Mojo makes Vega’s bass tighter yet more impactful and tonally better while the upper mids and treble are smoother but not rolled off

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back