Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 6, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #35,806 of 42,765
Why does it matter if DSD is converted to PCM if its done correctly? They are just two different ways of representing the same digital data, the content would be identical.

Because there is actually a lot of confusion already: NOS Dacs, OS DACs, true multibit DACs and so on with an endless list......all claiming to be THE correct implementation.
Truth to be told advantages stand on each side, as caveats.
So it looks the truth stands in how each DAC deals in the most efficiently way with the latters, given the initial choice.

I'm NOT quite in the mood of going thru' the burden of explaining the differences about DSD natively recorded (one take, no DSP) as such and DSD as transcoded from i.e. DXD just to mention one.
Neither I'll make the mistake of saying that DSD is best than PCM or viceversa.

EDIT:
But one thing needs to be stated clearly, to limit reigning confusion: what it is Fully Native DSD.
It is made of what I call 4N requirements (N stands for Native) that all need to be checked.

1)N recording: recording in one take straight to the mixer and from this to the DSD DAW.
2)N decoding by the player: no upsampling, no conversion to PCM.
3)N delivering to DAC: a bitperfect DSD stream is sent to the DAC either the DoP or the ASIO driver way.
4)N DAC DSD Handling: the DAC must NOT convert DSD to PCM. Things get different when we deal with i.e. DACs that convert DSD to PCM for a number of reasons, as digital volume control. These DACs are NOT DSD Native but DSD-capable. They may even deliver better results than the native DSD process itself scores, but we're no longer in Fully Native DSD realm.

I'm NOT saying Mojo, Hugo and Dave are crappy. I would have NOT bought the former two.
Neither I'm saying that in the specific case converting internally DSD to PCM with all the clever measures adopted by Rob brings about worst results.

What I'm saying is that I'd politely like to know -in this very case- if a DAC I purchased (and this historically held true for every single DAC I do own, BTW) handles DSD without any modification or does actually convert it into PCM. If the latter holds true it is NOT a Native DSD DAC.

All that simple :)

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #35,807 of 42,765
RELIC, that was exactly what I meant to say. I.e.: Player=>DoP encapsulation (notably by means of DoP Standard 1.0 with 0xFA / 0x05 markers)=>Mojo.

I think that basing on what I wrote and/or reported above there's little space for doubts: ".....This means it has to be converted to PCM" (per Rob's own words).

Cheers! I was a little unsure that’s what you meant so thanks for clarifying. :)

Apr 6, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #35,809 of 42,765
I do agree that amazon reviews are generally biased as negative reviews are more likely to be represented than a positive one. I myself definitely post reviews more often if something is defective. If i am really satisfied with a product i'm generally more preoccupied enjoying it to post a review.

I have been considering getting a Mojo (for my Shure 1540s and for an upgrade to focal clears i've set my heart on). I have demoed them a couple of times briefly with both headphones and do love the sound and synergy in both cases.

However i was more than a bit put off reading reports of various battery, charging, mobile interference or micro usb socket issues. Coupled with the experiences some users have reported dealing with chord on repairs and warranty issues, it has made me think twice about pulling the trigger. There does seem to be a fair number of people reporting the same problems, but then again some people do not seem to have any of these issues at all. I am leaning towards taking a chance and hoping that the unit i receive is of the latter category.

I have only had my Mojo for a couple months, but have had zero issue, and it sounds spectacular with the Focal Clear (its even okay with the Abyss, while I wait for my new amp).

Apr 6, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #35,810 of 42,765
I have only had my Mojo for a couple months, but have had zero issue, and it sounds spectacular with the Focal Clear (its even okay with the Abyss, while I wait for my new amp).

Mojo since 2016. Zero issues.

Both on mobile (Neutron MP on my iPhone 6+ 128GB with Apple USB3 CCK) and at home (W10+JRiver Media Center 23) I use Mojo with:
1)RHA T10 (reference filter)(when I'm in bass mood)
2)RHA T20 (reference filter)(when with my girlfriend that like 'em so much, for in tandem usage)
3)Campfire Lyra II (a combination made in heaven: tighter basses, improved mids and highs)
4)Oppo PM3 with custom Lavricables silver cables (another A+ combo)
5)Meze 99 Classics Walnut Silver + 99 Series 7N OCC Silver Plated Cable+TRSS to TRS included adapter (quite not on par with PM3 but audibly better than with stock cable, yet still with bass bleeding into lower mids: better sensations achieved when used with Oppo HA-2 1st Gen.)

A little IEM digression: as you've noticed I'm NOT a fan myself of BA IEM. Many I've tried and discarded straight away, with the only notable exception being Campfire Dorado which is an hybrid, though.
I found out that DD IEM are far more scalable, sybilance and hiss free and in the end less fatiguing for my meant usage and this makes my day.

Sometimes, at home and very rarely on holidays, I like to add my hybrid Fostex HP-V1 to the mix with a Reference 8 wire silver interconnect cable from Lavricables. This happens when I do want to add an extra hug to my ears/brain, but digressing on that combination alone would deserve some heavy thread hijacking....

No interferences whatsoever so far on mobile, provided you enable airplane mode.
No interferences at home either, with the usb cable which has two micro-usb ends, one for charging and one for data transport (with stock ferrite choke the latter) even when both connected to Mojo (heat aplenty when playin' and chargin' at same time, I don't do that usually).

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #35,812 of 42,765
Mojo since 2016. Zero issues.

Both on mobile (Neutron MP on my iPhone 6+ 128GB with Apple USB3 CCK) and at home (W10+JRiver Media Center 23) I use Mojo with:
1)RHA T10 (reference filter)(when I'm in bass mood)
2)RHA T20 (reference filter)(when with my girlfriend that like 'em so much, for in tandem usage)
3)Campfire Lyra II (a combination made in heaven: tighter basses, improved mids and highs)
4)Oppo PM3 with custom Lavricables silver cables (another A+ combo)
5)Meze 99 Classics Walnut Silver + 99 Series 7N OCC Silver Plated Cable+TRSS to TRS included adapter (quite not on par with PM3 but audibly better than with stock cable, yet still with bass bleeding into lower mids: better sensations achieved when used with Oppo HA-2 1st Gen.)

A little IEM digression: as you've noticed I'm NOT a fan myself of BA IEM. Many I've tried and discarded straight away, with the only notable exception being Campfire Dorado which is an hybrid, though.
I found out that DD IEM are far more scalable, sybilance and hiss free and in the end less fatiguing for my meant usage and this makes my day.

Sometimes, at home and very rarely on holidays, I like to add my hybrid Fostex HP-V1 to the mix with a Reference 8 wire silver interconnect cable from Lavricables. This happens when I do want to add an extra hug to my ears/brain, but digressing on that combination alone would deserve some heavy thread hijacking....

No interferences whatsoever so far on mobile, provided you enable airplane mode.
No interferences at home either, with the usb cable which has two micro-usb ends, one for charging and one for data transport (with stock ferrite choke the latter) even when both connected to Mojo (heat aplenty when playin' and chargin' at same time, I don't do that usually).

Hope this helps
Not even any RFI interference with your iPhone?

Apr 7, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #35,814 of 42,765
Is anyone having an issue with iOS 11.3? I upgraded last night and my iPhone no longer will output through the Apple lightning to USB 3 adapter to my Chord (or a Dragonfly Red). TIA.

What is the player used on iPhone?
I'm using USB3 CCK against iOS 11.3 with Neutron MP and Mojo without any issue.

Furthermore, with USB3 CCK connected go to Settings=>General=>Info and find the "Apple USB Camera Adapter" entry. Tap on it. Check "Firmware version". It should be 1.05

Let me know

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #35,815 of 42,765
Does Mojo consume battery power if it is off and left unconnected to anything? I used Mojo for probably 4 hrs from full charge last night and this morning when I turned it on, I saw a blinking green light and it shuts off. ??? Should I send it for battery repair (it's only few days old .. grrr...)?

Apr 7, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #35,816 of 42,765
Does Mojo consume battery power if it is off and left unconnected to anything? I used Mojo for probably 4 hrs from full charge last night and this morning when I turned it on, I saw a blinking green light and it shuts off. ??? Should I send it for battery repair (it's only few days old .. grrr...)?

Full charge is when even the White light goes off.
Charging=>Blue light=>White light=>no light on=fully charged

EDIT:
I missed the green blinking light. Was it the battery light or one of the big "balls"?
Did you charge Mojo the last time while it was on?
Did you ever allowed Mojo to go through a full discharge whilst playing at list once?

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #35,817 of 42,765

Blinking green would indicate something els, but I don’t know what. You should contact Chord. Low charge is blinking red.

Apr 7, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #35,819 of 42,765

Users who are viewing this thread

Back