Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 7, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #35,071 of 42,765
Hello everyone, it's my first post in this forum!
Hello! I can tell!

Audioengine A5+
Good lord, how terrifying.

Just want to make sure I'm on the right track in terms of what I need to upgrade in my system (a DAC should be my first go-to I believe?).
no, your dac really shouldn't be the first "go-to"

I think I'll still go for the Chord Mojo after the reviews I've read on this thread as well as a few others here also running it as a standalone DAC in their system.
Sounds like you've made up your mind....

Unless any of you disagree.....? Let me know. Cheers!
Enjoy your new dac on your amazing audioengine speakers. Cheers!

Jan 7, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #35,072 of 42,765
Jan 7, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #35,073 of 42,765
Hello everyone, it's my first post in this forum! Been following this thread for sometime and wanted to confirm my understanding before I go ahead and purchase my Chord Mojo.

I'm planning to run the Chord in my very simple bedroom set up ( Fire TV > Smart TV (Hisense HE65k5510UWTS) Toslink > Chord Mojo > Audioengine A5+). I've read about keeping the Chord Mojo plugged in at all times and understand that I need at least 1A on the USB (so will attempt to charge it using the USB port on my active speakers, and if the current isn't enough then I will get a standalone charger for it).

Just want to make sure I'm on the right track in terms of what I need to upgrade in my system (a DAC should be my first go-to I believe?). And also have been considering the Arcam irDac II and Audiolab M-Dac which are around the price range. I think I'll still go for the Chord Mojo after the reviews I've read on this thread as well as a few others here also running it as a standalone DAC in their system. Unless any of you disagree.....? Let me know. Cheers!

Welcome!

The specs on those speakers say the USB power outlet is only 500mA (
https://audioengineusa.com/shop/poweredspeakers/a5-plus-powered-speakers/),
so you’ll want a better charger for the Mojo. I recommend a 2A charger, like Anker, so you know it will be getting what it needs. The extra rating won’t harm Mojo.

Also, you can experiment, but you will probably want to set Mojo at 4 clicks down from line level, perhaps lower even, depending on your setup.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #35,074 of 42,765
Welcome!

The specs on those speakers say the USB power outlet is only 500mA (
https://audioengineusa.com/shop/poweredspeakers/a5-plus-powered-speakers/),
so you’ll want a better charger for the Mojo. I recommend a 2A charger, like Anker, so you know it will be getting what it needs. The extra rating won’t harm Mojo.

Also, you can experiment, but you will probably want to set Mojo at 4 clicks down from line level, perhaps lower even, depending on your setup.

Thank you! This has been really helpful - especially on the USB outlet and the settings. Will hopefully like the upgrade.

Hello! I can tell!

Good lord, how terrifying.

no, your dac really shouldn't be the first "go-to"

Sounds like you've made up your mind....

Enjoy your new dac on your amazing audioengine speakers. Cheers!

Hahaha you're really funny. Thanks :)

I suggest you buy your Mojo from somewhere that allows returns after a decent period. Personally I doubt that you will get much improvement through your system but I could be completely wrong...

Thanks - will see if I can get it from a site that allows returns. What's your suggestion for improving the system if not the Chord Mojo?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #35,075 of 42,765
Thanks - will see if I can get it from a site that allows returns. What's your suggestion for improving the system if not the Chord Mojo?

I'd agree with the above quotes. The differences between DACs only become apparent if you're using very resolving headphones or speakers. If you got a decent DAC in the $100 or less range, it would probably sound just as good as the Mojo through the Audioengine A5+ speakers.

To be honest, even when listening through very high-end headphones, the difference between a $100 DAC and a $500 DAC is fairly subtle.

Jan 7, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #35,076 of 42,765
I'd agree with the above quotes. The differences between DACs only become apparent if you're using very resolving headphones or speakers. If you got a decent DAC in the $100 or less range, it would probably sound just as good as the Mojo through the Audioengine A5+ speakers.

To be honest, even when listening through very high-end headphones, the difference between a $100 DAC and a $500 DAC is fairly subtle.

Yes and no. While with middle of the road equipment DACs may be hard to differentiate, a good dac will scale with your system. Also, with listening, the Mojo itself reveals itself to be an exceptional dac, even with decent but not summit fi gear. There wouldn’t be over 35,000 posts here about it if not. When needed, going portable is an added benefit.

Jan 7, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #35,077 of 42,765

I have to agree, I think people really overstate the differences in DACs. If the DAC is capable of proper dynamic reproduction, has very low distortion and jitter it should sound fine. Case in point. I was trying to decide if I should keep my NAD M51 and Mojo after getting the iFi iOne DAC. Now I'm not saying there is no chance that there aren't audible differences, but they must be very modest as I tried really hard to spot them. After about a week of comparing all three I was able to sell the M51 and Mojo (loved both of those devices) and just keep the iOne. I use resolving headphones and decent speakers with the iOne and it does a fantastic job and I can't imagine how I could justify spending significantly more on a DAC when in my mind the headphones or speakers contribute the most audible characteristics into the listening chain. This is just my experience and feeling at this point and I'm not trying to start the DAC measurements war again, but I do agree with you, any decent capable DAC should provide excellent listening pleasure if the headphones or speakers match the users preferences and the amplification can power them properly.

Jan 7, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #35,078 of 42,765
I have to agree, I think people really overstate the differences in DACs. If the DAC is capable of proper dynamic reproduction, has very low distortion and jitter it should sound fine. Case in point. I was trying to decide if I should keep my NAD M51 and Mojo after getting the iFi iOne DAC. Now I'm not saying there is no chance that there aren't audible differences, but they must be very modest as I tried really hard to spot them. After about a week of comparing all three I was able to sell the M51 and Mojo (loved both of those devices) and just keep the iOne. I use resolving headphones and decent speakers with the iOne and it does a fantastic job and I can't imagine how I could justify spending significantly more on a DAC when in my mind the headphones or speakers contribute the most audible characteristics into the listening chain. This is just my experience and feeling at this point and I'm not trying to start the DAC measurements war again, but I do agree with you, any decent capable DAC should provide excellent listening pleasure if the headphones or speakers match the users preferences and the amplification can power them properly.

There are some real differences and good science behind why. If interested, this is a good read:
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2018/01/audiophile-myth-260-detestable-digital.html

Jan 7, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #35,079 of 42,765
Welp.

Chord charged $75 for a "diagnostic" and then said the repairs for the USB would be $300, so I am exiting Mojo-land. Was fun while it lasted, I think I'm done with Chord haha.

Jan 7, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #35,080 of 42,765
Welp.

Chord charged $75 for a "diagnostic" and then said the repairs for the USB would be $300, so I am exiting Mojo-land. Was fun while it lasted, I think I'm done with Chord haha.
Holy crap.

Jan 8, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #35,081 of 42,765
Holy ****.
That's outrageous!! What was the problem again? Go fix it at any electronics service. Hell, send it to me and I'll fix it for free if it's just soldering\resoldering\replacing USB connector! (I don't think the shipping worths it though), let's get real, yes it sounds amazing, yes it is marvelous engeneered, but regular soldering, not microscopic soldering, is just... Soldering!!
Is the connector made on Mars or something? I'm sure it's got some stardust in composition, otherwise how stupid would we have to be to fall for this one?!

Jan 8, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #35,082 of 42,765
There are some real differences and good science behind why. If interested, this is a good read:
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2018/01/audiophile-myth-260-detestable-digital.html
Thanks for the link read it, and have also read essentially the same information on a few occasions. I tend to still be in the camp that believes that just because something is measureable doesn't make it audible in any meaningful way (although sometimes it is). I also very much agree with the sentiment of the author, many recordings really don't require high end audio reproduction gear as nothing can undue the damage of poor mastering to any great extent. I have quite a bit of poorly mastered, but still enjoyable music in my collection, and I know going into it that it won't sound fantastic even if I use really nice gear. It may sound better by way of comparison with poor quality gear, but it will still always sound compressed and hysterical. Thankfully I also have some very well recorded music that deserves to be handled better. Thanks again for the link, I do appreciate the effort. Cheers.

Jan 8, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #35,083 of 42,765
That's outrageous!! What was the problem again? Go fix it at any electronics service. Hell, send it to me and I'll fix it for free if it's just soldering\resoldering\replacing USB connector! (I don't think the shipping worths it though), let's get real, yes it sounds amazing, yes it is marvelous engeneered, but regular soldering, not microscopic soldering, is just... Soldering!!
Is the connector made on Mars or something? I'm sure it's got some stardust in composition, otherwise how stupid would we have to be to fall for this one?!

I'd hope someone from Chord pops onto the thread and explains this... because maybe there's more too it somehow... frankly it makes me really nervous, because I rely on my mojo and don't always have 300 to hand over to have something fixed.

I don't know if the problem is extremely uncommon, etc.

Jan 8, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #35,084 of 42,765
Hi Guys,

I am looking for a pair of closed cans to pair with the little Mojo.

Do you have any experience with the akg k550 (mk1/2)? Otherwise, any hint with a budget of 150 euros?

Right now I am using it with senn hd579 and shure srh440.

cheers!

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back