Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 3, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #35,041 of 42,765
Jan 3, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #35,042 of 42,765
You would need an adapter to use that cable with Mojo as it has 3.5mm single ended outputs. Probably better to get a different cable unless you already have that one.

No, it won’t work. That’s a 4.4mm balanced Pentacon connector to be used only with a device that has a balanced Pentacon output (Pentacon is a relatively new balanced headphone connector).

The Mojo has a 3.5mm single ended (TRS) output and an adaptor would be needed. Might as well look at a different cable.

is it worth it to replace Mojo with another amp/dac like: Sony PHA3 to use a balanced cabled? in terms of sound quality.
I really love the sound of Sony XBA-h3 + Mojo, so I decided to upgrade to XBA-Z5 since both have the same sound signature, but I have read that to get the most of the Z5 I need a balanced cable.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #35,043 of 42,765
is it worth it to replace Mojo with another amp/dac like: Sony PHA3 to use a balanced cabled? in terms of sound quality.
I really love the sound of Sony XBA-h3 + Mojo, so I decided to upgrade to XBA-Z5 since both have the same sound signature, but I have read that to get the most of the Z5 I need a balanced cable.

The whole balanced cable thing (argument) is for another thread, if you want to try balanced then go with the Sony PHA 3, I disagree that you "need" a balanced cable though to get the most from the Z5.

There should be comparison reviews of the PHA 3 vs Mojo on Headfi, I only have Mojo so I can't help with a comparison in this instance.

Jan 3, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #35,044 of 42,765
Just followed you're instructions to a T and I no longer have red balls. Now I have red, green and blue balls. Sounds pretty damn good though in my DT 1770's too. Gracis.

Not sure how you're getting the blue light from Tidal as the MQA streams only output up to 96kbps (green light) to a non-MQA DAC? Is the blue light from other files?

Jan 3, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #35,045 of 42,765
Very bummed. I had a defective CCK cable and was on my way to the Apple store to get another under the Apple warranty. As I was walking from my car, I plugged the CCK cable into the Mojo. It didn't stay in. I looked closer and noticed that the USB socket on the Mojo had become dislodged and is now inside the unit. The CCK cable is now my small worry. The Mojo, that is something else (and it's only six months old). I'll work with my dealer and Chord to see what can be done. But for something like this to happen to a unit I generally handle with care while in transit, very bummed... :triportsad:

Great news to report. Chord covered the repair and my Mojo will be back from George Meyer AV in a few days. Gramophone (my seller in Maryland) gave me a loaner while it was out for repair, so I was not without a Mojo during the last month or so.

So here is the question- what can I do to minimize the USB socket from being dislodged in the future? I generally handle the Mojo (and all my gear) with care, but this is a mobile unit. My initial thought is to keep a band around the Mojo (I prefer elastic hair tie backs) and that would keep any undue stress off the USB socket. Other tips? Is this necessary? Anyone experience this happening?

Jan 3, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #35,046 of 42,765
Great news to report. Chord covered the repair and my Mojo will be back from George Meyer AV in a few days. Gramophone (my seller in Maryland) gave me a loaner while it was out for repair, so I was not without a Mojo during the last month or so.

Glad to hear Chord, and your dealer(s) have taken good care of you.

So here is the question- what can I do to minimize the USB socket from being dislodged in the future?

Although it's not a night-&-day difference, it can be somewhat helpful to use a CCK with a right-angled microUSB plug, so as to minimise the amount of leverage exerted upon Mojos microUSB socket.

Jan 3, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #35,047 of 42,765
Not sure how you're getting the blue light from Tidal as the MQA streams only output up to 96kbps (green light) to a non-MQA DAC? Is the blue light from other files?

I’m actually getting both burnt orange and green on Tidal output from the BlueSound Node 2.

Jan 3, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #35,048 of 42,765

I knew this question was coming. :)

Well, if you prefer the sound of a piece of gear then that’s the one that will be subjectively better to you, but don’t put 100% stock in balanced for the sake of balanced. I suggest you read the third post of this thread as the designer of the Mojo has explained (rather well) why single ended can be better than balanced. I’ve heard/owned mediocre balanced gear and I’ve heard/owned exemplary single ended gear.

Regarding the term ‘better’ you need to consider what you are looking for. The Mojo measures much better than the PHA3 so for fidelity (transparency to the source) the Mojo would be better. By this I don’t mean a subjective ‘neutral’ tuning but measured output performance compared to the input signal. I haven’t heard the PHA3 so I can’t really comment on the sound differences subjectively. My advice would be to audition if you can.

Edit: regarding getting the best out of balanced gear, the difference is in the implementation of the source and the cable is simply facilitating hearing the balanced topology, which may or may not provide a meaningful improvement depending on the implementation. Headphones reveal the differences in the source, unless the headphones are grossly underpowered which would be extremely rare for IEMs

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #35,049 of 42,765
I knew this question was coming. :)

Well, if you prefer the sound of a piece of gear then that’s the one that will be subjectively better to you, but don’t put 100% stock in balanced for the sake of balanced. I suggest you read the third post of this thread as the designer of the Mojo has explained (rather well) why single ended can be better than balanced. I’ve heard/owned mediocre balanced gear and I’ve heard/owned exemplary single ended gear.

Regarding the term ‘better’ you need to consider what you are looking for. The Mojo measures much better than the PHA3 so for fidelity (transparency to the source) the Mojo would be better. By this I don’t mean a subjective ‘neutral’ tuning but measured output performance compared to the input signal. I haven’t heard the PHA3 so I can’t really comment on the sound differences subjectively. My advice would be to audition if you can.

Edit: regarding getting the best out of balanced gear, the difference is in the implementation of the source and the cable is simply facilitating hearing the balanced topology, which may or may not provide a meaningful improvement depending on the implementation. Headphones reveal the differences in the source, unless the headphones are grossly underpowered which would be extremely rare for IEMs

Thank you so much for the informative post...

I think I will stick with my Mojo, and maybe in future I will try the PHA3 if I have a chance to demo it.
I really love the sound of the Mojo + XBA-H3, I even enjoy it more than my TH900MK2 headphones (for home use), thats why decided to upgrade to Mojo+XBA-Z5.
For me, the only reason to think about PH3 is to compare bass between Mojo and PH3.

Thank you again, now it is clear for me. :)

Jan 4, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #35,050 of 42,765
Got this off a fellow head-fier at a good price. Have to say, upgrading from my Laptop DAC, the difference in quality is significant.

Only had a limited chance to use so far, but right off the bat, the presence of the sound has increased, bass has more impact and texture, greater clarity and detail, in terms of spacing there is more air and the imaging is more precise. Very happy with this upgrade. Running from my laptop to LCD-2's and FA 003's. Previously I was using the going Laptop (Dell XPS 15 9550) -> Schiit Lyr -> Headphone.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #35,051 of 42,765
Jan 5, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #35,052 of 42,765

I signed up for the Tidal free trial and was only getting the 96 kHz green light on the 192 kHz Master files from my PC. I received an email from Tidal that would extend my trial to 90 days if I put a credit card on the account. I did so yesterday and am now getting the blue 192 khz light when playing the 192 kHz files, and I’m getting the 96 kHz light when playing non master files. Don’t know if the change is related to the change in my subscription or not. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Jan 5, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #35,054 of 42,765
Is mojo able to drive atticus or mrspeakers with autority?

Yes, that seems to be the consensus. Might be worth asking on the threads for the specific headphones though, as there's certainly people there that have paired them with the Mojo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back