Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 16, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #34,801 of 42,765
Very interesting feedback from you, thanks.

Still testing (enjoy) the Mojo in both ways, as only dac (line level) on my main system and as dac/amp for my hd650 (iphone as source, tidal).

As dac is currently a winner (and i am using a very cheap cable actually) apart the high end that maybe i need to get used to it.

As also amp, instead, while I am aware about all the benefits of it in term of overall resolution and “tune”, I somehow miss the impact punch slam fullness that i got from my desktop dac amp.

These are still my feedbacks.

I hav two questions:

1) the jitterbug is really interesting? I can easy have it from amazon.

2) with a lower impedance hp i could have better results or otherwise with a dedicated amp (bh crack, etc.). I mean not in SQ but i mean in “filling” more powerful the hp.

Well you may find the Mojo grows on you more still yet, and I think you will. It might be case of either accepting the Mojo's signature. Or that you recognise the Mojo's slam is the right amount.

The JitterBug is a good idea I think. It might be a good plan to get comfortable with the Mojo. Then make another purchase, but totally up to you.

I like the JitterBug, but to be fair I need to do more listening with it, and then without it. I definitely felt that it cooled my Mojo a bit. I have adjusted and accepted the new signature. However my amplifier and speakers are new and good quality. I still take a breath almost every time I use them with the Mojo. I still have the old signature of my previuos amplified speakers I vaguely in my mind.

My new amp and speakers reach lower in bass making the Mojo sound more balanced. Therefor me soon adding a Jitterbug might have been wiser had I adjusted fully to the new amplifier and speakers. My reaction to the jitterbug soothing my Mojo, which I believe was real. Could just me still being taken aback by my amp and speakers. Therefor I really need to do more testing.

However I am sure it has calmed my Mojo a bit and in the right direction. Since the JitterBug is meant to cure slight brightness and very slight fatigue,and better imaging. That's caused by USB power line noise coming from a computer, and entering the DAC analogue stage I think. Then that's what I was sure happened. I love it now.

Yes the Jitterbug is on Amazon. .... However something I think you should do if you have not, is read post 3. You might find it just the place to look over Mojo FAQ.

You should be able to answer your headphone question. However the short answer is, that Mojo can play any headphone. There may be a rare very high impedance headphone that the Mojo might struggle a bit with. However for most headphones, I would strongly discourage a headphone amplifier. Just use the Mojo output for headphones for the freshest signal.

More slam can be added with different headphones or amplifier/speakers. As long as you understand that the Mojo is right then you can try whatever you want with other equipment.

Please do not feel bad tearing yourself away from a bass heavy slamming DAC.

I find the Mojo kicks my music hard so no worries for me. (Try playing INXS - Devil Inside.) It depends on what you pair Mojo with.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #34,802 of 42,765
Since the JitterBug is meant to cure slight brightness and very slight fatigue,and better imaging. That's caused by USB power line noise coming from a computer,

I absolutely didn't have any fatiguing with the Mojo, maybe slightly the different side... in the HD650 it is totally not fatiguing at all while in the speakers system I miss a little the "fatiguing" highs, sometimes I feel the Mojo too "calm" on the high side.

I usually use it with iPhone and headphones, so, should have not too much "power noise", do you think also in this case the Jitter could improve? BTW, I am reading the FAQs in these days I only remember that Rob Watts adviced this product, I will search for more reading about.

I would strongly discourage a headphone amplifier. Just use the Mojo output for headphones for the freshest signal.

That's what I Always thought (less chain, more "clean" signal for the Mojo), but I still reads people here that on the go only use the Mojo while at home they plug it into an Amp.

I find the Mojo kicks my music hard so no worries for me. (Try playing INXS - Devil Inside.) It depends on what you pair Mojo with.

I just added that album in my Roon library, I'll listening soon, also, I almost forgot that band so this is a good excuse for listening again.

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #34,803 of 42,765
HELP!!!

My Mojo, brand new, one week of life, I put under charge about four hours ago, and as charger I am using an Apple charger (2A output).

I notice that, during the charge, it... MAKE A NOISE like a SCREAM, it's very well loud noticeable. Then I removed the cable (still the light of charging was on), then I put again under charge and... STILL MAKE THIS LOUD NOISE.

Then I tried a smaller charger (Always Apple, 1A), and it still "SCREAMS LOUD".

The hissing is lasting for SIX minutes before the end of a charge.

What I should do? Any feedback?

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #34,804 of 42,765
HELP!!!

My Mojo, brand new, one week of life, I put under charge about four hours ago, and as charger I am using an Apple charger (2A output).

I notice that, during the charge, it... MAKE A NOISE like a SCREAM, it's very well loud noticeable. Then I removed the cable (still the light of charging was on), then I put again under charge and... STILL MAKE THIS LOUD NOISE.

Then I tried a smaller charger (Always Apple, 1A), and it still "SCREAMS LOUD".

The hissing is lasting for SIX minutes before the end of a charge.

What I should do? Any feedback?

This is normal. Unfortunately. Some chargers whine more or less, but it won’t damage the Mojo at all.

Dec 16, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #34,805 of 42,765
This is normal. Unfortunately. Some chargers whine more or less, but it won’t damage the Mojo at all.

Hi,

But during the cycle of charge I have no hissing at all, only the last 5/6 minutes of a full charge I have the high pitched noise.

And I am using the adviced charger from Apple (5v 2A).

Do you mean is normal during all the charging process or at the end of it (my case)?

Dec 16, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #34,806 of 42,765
Dec 16, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #34,807 of 42,765
I still think it is normal. Check out the 3rd Q in this FAQ:
https://www.head-fi.org/articles/chord-mojo-faq.18671/

They are speaking about: “when the charger I'm using is connected to the charging port”

Whilst my case is different, it only appear when the charging cycle is at its end, six minutes before the charging light will shut off.

The whining is like th unit is frying itself, I made a video too.

The case of this user is like mine:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-mojo-making-noise-when-almost-fully-charged.858422/

Dec 16, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #34,808 of 42,765
For those who are interested, I have tested several usb micro cables with my Mojo and have arrived to the following conclusions. Keep in mind that all of the above are strictly my opinion.

I use Anker powerline+ which have been great; excellent durability, great connectors. They don't have super ultra unobtanium conductors, but I'm a bit skeptical you could hear the difference on most Mojo setups anyway. Anker P+ works great for me both USB OTG, and in my desktop between my macbook pro and the Mojo routed through a Schiit Jotunheim. At least with my HPs (Senn hd600, th-x00, others) I can't hear a difference between USB and TOSLINK S/PDIF

In my new desktop setup I've got the Pangea premier (not the XL or spendier ones). Based on my research, analog cables may help minorly with sub-bass and high end "sparkle", with copper better for bright setups, and silver better for dark/warm setups, and with digital cables, i.e., USB, helping with jitter/interference/clocking issues that are caused by the receiving chipset having to work harder resulting in jitter. That said, it's important to note I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.
Has anyone compared this to the ifi idsd micro black label?
Just about everyone? If you google the internet for "easily lost portable dac" you might find something useful. net-net: ifi BL is a fantastic transportable swiss army knife DAC/Amp with tons of options. Mojo is a much smaller, much more portable device, but with only a few of those options. Sound is subjective, but some would say the mojo sound is "smoother" but the difference isn't huge.
during the cycle of charge I have no hissing at all, only the last 5/6 minutes of a full charge I have the high pitched noise.
Same, and I tested mine with 4 sets of chargers and USB cables. If you check early in this thread the CEO says that's a small issue in only a few units and it's fixed. As time went on, more research, blah blah, it's normal.

Doesn't sound normal to me (and if it is I don't like it) and I sent mine back for replacement and/or refund.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #34,809 of 42,765
Same. If you check early in this thread the CEO says that's a small issue in only a few units and it's fixed. As time went on, more research, blah blah, it's normal. Doesn't sound normal to me and I sent mine back for replacement and/or refund.

Did you had or HAVE the same issue? Did you sent it back and received a new without the issue? I didn’t understand sorry.

Dec 16, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #34,810 of 42,765
I use Anker powerline+ which have been great; excellent durability, great connectors. They don't have super ultra unobtanium conductors, but I'm a bit skeptical you could hear the difference on most Mojo setups anyway. Anker P+ works great for me both USB OTG, and in my desktop between my macbook pro and the Mojo routed through a Schiit Jotunheim.

.Thanks for reminding me. Anker Powerline and Powerline+ are also great micro usb cables for the budget conscious. For me, I have had a good experience with just the plain jane powerline series.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerL...62597&sr=8-3&keywords=PowerLine+1ft+Micro+USB
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerL...2679&sr=8-4&keywords=PowerLine++1ft+Micro+USB

Dec 16, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #34,811 of 42,765
Did you had or HAVE the same issue? Did you sent it back and received a new without the issue? I didn’t understand sorry.

Yes, exactly same as you, and yes I've sent mine back, and if they all have it I'm returning it for a refund.

I like the sound a lot, I love the size and design, but the build issues ... funky noises, EMI problems, cheapy feeling connectors, battery issues, and with only a 1 year warranty on a $500+ item that's been out for a few years? ... that doesn't exactly say "we're confident in our build quality!"

It'll be a tragedy because I really like that thing and its relaxed sound - it's a great option in the mix and it's so portable. but with all these small issues and the fear it's going to crap out, it just doesn't feel premium, and ultimately that really annoys me.

And I don't want to be annoyed and somewhat disappointed every time I look at the thing.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #34,812 of 42,765
Yes, exactly same as you, and yes I've sent mine back, and if they all have it I'm returning it for a refund.

Did you receive another back with the same issue or you just have a refund and stop?

I report that my hissing buzzing noise is not related to the charger and also not to the cable because I tried three charget (apple 1a apple 2a samsung 1,2a) and two cables (including the stock cable) and the charging cable with the laptop.

When it whines out loud like it frying (Only some minutes before the charge is complete) its not related to those but its the unit itself the “issue”.

Instead When the unit is charging (not the last minutes) it is totally in silence, not hissing even low.

Dec 16, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #34,813 of 42,765
When you're unhappy with your coq au vin at a restaurant do you try to contact the chicken farm?

If I'm unhappy with my meal I talk to the chef. As in, the person who made the meal.

Apparently you chew out the waiter. Your analogy would be like if I was calling up the steel mills where the materials were forged.

EDIT: Let me add to my own post. Manufacturer's have a longer warranty than the store. If I'm past the return policy on the store (usually 14-30 days), why would I go back to them? The hell are they going to do? If you have a Lenovo laptop from Best Buy and it dies 3 months later, what's BB going to tell you?

Let me save you time, because this is has happened to me. They say "contact the manufacturer."

EDIT 2: For what it's worth, I did go to the dealer, and they're sending it in for repairs. So basically I just did what I wanted to do in the first place with a middleman. Sweet.

There's a strong chance once I get the repaired version, it's going up for sale because I'd like to start banking money for a Hugo 2. Despite all my kvetching, I love the Mojo and I've a feeling I'll like its big brother even more.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back