Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 14, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #34,756 of 42,765
Audioquest JitterBug arrives today. Nearly forgot. Exciting.

I like the AudioQuest JitterBug with the Mojo.

By the way, I just bought an HD-audio album from HD Tracks. Norah Jones - Not Too Late (24bit/192KHz), however when I play it, the Mojo says it's playing at 48KHz. I am feeling sore right now. Everything's a tussle.

Dec 14, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #34,757 of 42,765
Yes, I am 100% happy on the AudioQuest Jitterbug.

It has made the Mojo that bit warmer and smoother. It must be close to optical sounding now. Or at least less or no noise on the USB power lines.

In all fairness, my Mojo was sounding fairly spot on anyway, and I always maintained it sounded right. The Chord DAC thing of all is right in the universe. ... Anyway adding the Jitterbug, took some of those sparkles away, and the effect was a warmer sound. Secondly initially felt like a little loss in soundstage. I'm over that now, as it sounds fractionally more focused. Little more solid sounding. It's left the top end sweet.

It's kind of like the Mojo has stopped gently waving its jazz hands at, when it plays music.

I am so happy with it, that I just plugged it in, thought, yup - need to adjust to new signature. Left in on plug and play - forgot about it.

(P.S. I wonder if that's why some folk found the a touch Mojo mid-centric, because they were using noisy USB.)

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #34,760 of 42,765
Hi,

I really need your opinions and help here.

I am with the Mojo and HD650 for 7 days and more, but I still didn't like the Mojo at all with my cans.

I listened to it not too much (say one hour at day) and I listened only it in these days without AB test with other hardware (as adviced here).

Yesterday, though, I did two AB tests... one with my iPhone 8 Plus and the other with my Asus Essence One desktop dac.

iPhone 8 Plus vs Mojo

Is really hard to spot differences at normal listening volumes! Sure, the Mojo is overall better and can "drive" the HD650 louder than the cheapest dac of the iPhone, that's for sure, but really, the iPhone performarce is very close to the Mojo's and I am speaking also in the dynamic range department!

Asus E1 vs Mojo

Here comes the pain! I listen a very HUGE difference in terms of SQ between the E1 and the Mojo with my HD650... the E1 drives the cans much better than the Mojo. If with the latter I have more nuances in the voices and maybe the middle are little forwarded, and I could say there are some more details in the Mojo presentation, the E1 gives a dynamic, punch, slam, call it how you want, that the Mojo can only dream! And I am not sure it's only distortion... I think the E1 "fill" better the HD650, it makes shine the middle-bass department, it has more body, it more... felt on my ears. The Mojo, instead, need to me that I increase little the volume during the playing, and even that, I can't feel the dynamics that I need with the HD650.

It makes sense to give the Mojo other days for breaking in? It makes sense to try the Mojo with LOWER impedance cans instead that with my HD650?

I am thinking to buy another E1 (maybe newer versions) and put it in my bedroom (iPhone>Tidal>E1>HD650) and returning the Mojo back... still thinking.

Instead, the Mojo as Dac seem far better than the E1 in my main system, it more "organized" the image that I get from it, but today I will play back with the E1 to understand better the difference with the Mojo. Maybe I could keep the Mojo as first dac in my main system and taking the Asus E1 in the bedroom only for headphones playing.

Advices?

Dec 14, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #34,761 of 42,765
I'm not in the US, but what's wrong with it?

It's cutting out like crazy and Chord seems to offer absolutely no warranty repairs. All they did was give me two websites for people who do repairs on Chord products.

I am, to put it mildly, less than impressed.

Dec 14, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #34,762 of 42,765
Hi,

I am with the Mojo and HD650 for 7 days and more, but I still didn't like the Mojo at all with my cans.

I listened to it not too much (say one hour at day) and I listened only it in these days without AB test with other hardware (as adviced here).

Yesterday, though, I did two AB tests... one with my iPhone 8 Plus and the other with my Asus Essence One desktop dac.

iPhone 8 Plus vs Mojo

Is really hard to spot differences at normal listening volumes! Sure, the Mojo is overall better and can "drive" the HD650 louder than the cheapest dac of the iPhone, that's for sure, but really, the iPhone performarce is very close to the Mojo's and I am speaking also in the dynamic range department!

Asus E1 vs Mojo

Here comes the pain! I listen a very HUGE difference in terms of SQ between the E1 and the Mojo with my HD650... the E1 drives the cans much better than the Mojo. If with the latter I have more nuances in the voices and maybe the middle are little forwarded, and I could say there are some more details in the Mojo presentation, the E1 gives a dynamic, punch, slam, call it how you want, that the Mojo can only dream! And I am not sure it's only distortion... I think the E1 "fill" better the HD650, it makes shine the middle-bass department, it has more body, it more... felt on my ears. The Mojo, instead, need to me that I increase little the volume during the playing, and even that, I can't feel the dynamics that I need with the HD650.

It makes sense to give the Mojo other days for breaking in? It makes sense to try the Mojo with LOWER impedance cans instead that with my HD650?

I am thinking to buy another E1 (maybe newer versions) and put it in my bedroom (iPhone>Tidal>E1>HD650) and returning the Mojo back... still thinking.

Instead, the Mojo as Dac seem far better than the E1 in my main system, it more "organized" the image that I get from it, but today I will play back with the E1 to understand better the difference with the Mojo. Maybe I could keep the Mojo as first dac in my main system and taking the Asus E1 in the bedroom only for headphones playing.

Advices?
I'm not sure how much help I can be but here goes!
My immediate reaction is that if you have something you like, the E1, stick with that and back the Mojo. Why force yourself to like it?
However. I auditioned the Mojo several times before buying and could discern no real difference from my iPhone 6S.
I was never happy with the sound I was getting from the phone and wanted an improvement. What made me give the Mojo a go was reading on here the obvious sincerity and expertise of its designer Rob Watts who posts here. I bought one on a month's trial and never looked back. Occasionally it runs out of charge and I have to listen to the phone. I am always very pleased to put the Mojo back into the chain.
IMHO the phone makes a noise. The Mojo plays music.
I still don't think that in a blind test I would be able to pick out the Mojo. This speaks to me of my limitations in detecting small nuances. Those nuances may be vital in conveying the emotion of the music. Which is what I believe Mojo does. All very unscientific and nothing that I would cite to encourage anyone to part with their hard earned.
My experience. I would not part with my Mojo. My suggestion would be to buy a Mojo from someone who will allow a month's trial and see what you think at the end of that. Otherwise just enjoy the E1. You may just have found a gizmo that makes you as happy as the Mojo makes me! HTH!!!

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #34,763 of 42,765
My suggestion would be to buy a Mono from someone who will allow a month's trial and see what you think at the end of that.

Did you mean Mojo? I already have one and some other days of window return.

Brillant answer thanks, I am thinking what to do :)

Dec 14, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #34,764 of 42,765
Hi,

iPhone 8 Plus vs Mojo

Asus E1 vs Mojo

Advices?
I guess it's all about the output impedance. The Asus E1 has an output impedance of 14 Ohm, compared to Mojo's 0,2 Ohm. The theory says that the output impedance of the headphone amp should be as low as possible. Many, including Axel Grell of Sennheiser don't agree with that. Sennheiser's HDV 820 has much higher output impedance. Some prefer drier sound of the low impedance amps, some fuller and richer sound of the higher outputs. You probably belong to the second.

Dec 14, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #34,765 of 42,765
Hi,

iPhone 8 Plus vs Mojo

Asus E1 vs Mojo

Advices?
What type of music are you playing - this can be a strong influence on how people respond to the various sound signatures.
For example:
  • many dac/amp that exibit a neutral response may not please someone who exclusively listens to music with a repetitive pronounced bass beat
  • Chord dacs are good at revealing the timbre of real physical instruments, but electronic dance music does not contain the references to 'timbre', so some of the benefits of a mojo will never reveal themselves
  • etc
Have you explored any of the tracks in this thread, which contains many tracks which mojo owners have recommended?
Try a few of the tracks, and provide feedback as to whether your opinion of your mojo/hp pairing changes.

Dec 14, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #34,766 of 42,765
To begin, I surely don't like the "drier" sounds because they don't satisfy me especially with the HD650 where I need to have shivers when I listen to some dynamic drum moment in some songs...

I listen to many genre, from rock to metal, from prog-rock to prog-metal, some easy listening pop-rock, very very few dance and hip-hop in cans (i prefer listen to this genres with the main system).

From the first post of that thread I only listened to two songs over twelve (Beatles and Clapton ones) and I didn't spot that differences (I mean I didn't do an AB test to spot that differences) but those songs (and albums) songs awesome with the Mojo. Later I will listen some other songs from that thread and when I'll have the time I will try to spot those differences in an AB test.

BTW, I probably keep it (or just I am thinking it now) because two reasons:

1) as only dac in the chain of my main system (I mean amp+speakers) the differences between the Mojo and the E1 is on the Mojo side in term of naturaless, smooth, details, bottom end control and... "musicality".

2) I have a 2000 thread's posts where 1999 people says that the Mojo is great or that is the best dac under 1000 that they ever heard so. I know that we must listen with our ears but a so huge good feedback is something to give consideration.

Dec 14, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #34,767 of 42,765
Not sure about the HD650, sold mine sons ago, never cared for the Headphone.

On a positive note, I’m happy to report that the Mojo>Focal Clear combination is spectacular! From classic rock to classical, great tonality, bass, soundstage, clean clear treble, and incredible dynamics. The Mojo plays to the Clear’s strengths, highly recommended!

Just received a coax cable from theCable Architect and the even deeper, “inky blackness” from which the music arises as compared to the Apple Camera Kit/USB connection is phenomenal!

Dec 14, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #34,768 of 42,765
Hi,

iPhone 8 Plus vs Mojo

Asus E1 vs Mojo

Advices?

I just posted in post 34757 my results with the Audioquest JitterBug. If you are using USB then is something you might want to think about whatever DAC you use.

To me it took the slightly flashy edge off the Mojo, and made it sound a touch more solid. Enough to be very happy.

Otherwise try optical connection. I bought an optical kit that fits onto a header on my computer motherboard. (It's in the post.) Output to rear IO brackets of the PC. Optical is said to be a bit warmer and smoother.

However in the possibility that the Mojo does need proper burn-in which Rob Watts assures us not. Why not try running the mojo playing music even when you are not listening to it?

I tend to agree with Rob Watts about their not being burn-in. Rather it just takes time to get used to. I say this because my first Moo went faulty. After I returned it, I was without Mojo for a few weeks. When I bought a second Mojo, I really didn't notice any burn in time. Maybe a little brain burn in, to quickly re-adjust back to the Mojo detail. Not physical DAC burn-in I think, because it was a new sealed in a box unit.

I really do think it's about time with the Mojo that counts. An hour a day seems like not enough. I say that because my Meridian Explorer had a heavier thicker sound. I found it very hard to gravitate away from. However all said the Mojo is more realistic, and more accurate, and a better DAC in every sense. ............ Sorry I can't help any more than that. I did suggest getting as much time on it as possible. Regrettably it seems you were short on time to be able to listen to it.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #34,769 of 42,765
iPhone 8 Plus vs Mojo

Advices?

My advice is to trust your own ears and ignore hype.

It's cutting out like crazy and Chord seems to offer absolutely no warranty repairs. All they did was give me two websites for people who do repairs on Chord products.

I am, to put it mildly, less than impressed.

Why are you going to Chord for repairs? They have a dealer network and the purpose of that is to provide service. Your dealer should repair it. If not I believe they should lose their licence to sell Chord products.

Dec 14, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #34,770 of 42,765
The difference in sound between iPhone 5s and Mojo is like night and day for me. Before I auditioned the Mojo, iPhone was pretty ok but now I know that all those i-devices and also my Macbook they all distort, that is the most obvious thing after a few minutes of music listening experience. In terms of details like stereo positioning and nuances, punch in lows etc are making music like a lifelike image compared to the iPhone, iPad and Macbook which produce only a blurry kind of image. I still listen to music with my in-ears connected to iPhone directly when I'm on the move, but anytime I do that I wish I had the time to connect Mojo in between.

If anyone thinks Mojo doesn't do anything or not doing good enough for the stereo signal, well it makes no sense to keep it since it is not the cheapest device around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back