Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 29, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #34,246 of 42,765
Said differently, there's plenty of evidence to support the Mojo being uniquely flawed in this respect

Let's be rational, and adopt a scientific methodology.

You have made a blanket assertion, that the Mojo is uniquely flawed, and that there's plenty of evidence to support your assertion.

Please provide links to this evidence, in order to substantiate your assertion. Then we can all review this evidence, and validate/not validate your assertion.

Oct 29, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #34,248 of 42,765
Clearly not an issue exclusive to Mojo (see quotes below). This doesn’t make the interference problem any better for those that experience it, but we don’t really need to go on about if it’s just a Mojo thing.

tl/dr; Digital noise, frequent disconnects and playback issues when paired to an iPhone 6 with cellular data on.

I have been experiencing most of the same issues as mentioned by others (e.g. disconnection, garble, digital noise, etc..) on pairing my iPhone 6 with BOTH the HA-2 and HA-2SE using either the music app or HF Player. Noise/disconnects usually (not always) happens when my phone is on cellular data only (not when wifi is connected) and possibly when signal drops from LTE to 3G or 3G to Edge.

Will perhaps give another phone a try. Otherwise, it's sad that after trying two HA-2 units and one HA-2SE I have to give up because of this issue on every single unit I had tried (not defect but something Oppo didn't manage to take care of in the SE).

If it wasn't for this issue I'd be all over the sound that HA-2 gives. To my surprise the SE has slightly crisper highs and bass punch than the SE on my JH Angie IEMs (not sure about others).
It's an S6 problem. Does it with the three USB dacs I've tried (Fiio e17K, HA-2 and JDS C5D)...so clearly there's something wrong w/ the USB Audio out on the S6...I've tried it with multiple S6s as well thinking I had a bad one.

Works fine w/ cellular radios off...so yeah
. Good times. Don't get the S6 if you want to use it as your audio device.

At least not if you want the cell radio available when playing audio. It will play 24/192 files natively though. For airplane use, it would be fine.
I seem to get all of the luck. My HTC DNA, had the same problem. I don't get much choice, these are/were company supplied phones.
I am not going to buy another phone/plan so I can listen to music on a phone though. I have lots of other options.
Too bad it doesn't play nice with the HA-2 (with radios on)
, because I like the phone in other regards.

I did a lot of testing here. The problem is related to the phone and antenna power (which goes up when it tries to change cells in areas with bad coverage). It basically made the HA2(SE) impossible for me to use on longer trips (I travel 150km by train almost each day - it cuts out roughly 20 times during the trip, especially under long tunnels with little or no coverage).
I have had several iPhone models (5s, 6 and 7) and both the HA2 and HA2SE. The same problem with all - easy to replicate if you put and stack the phone and HA2 together in a faraday-like container.

If you use a longer cable (just the basic iPhone USB charger one) and keep the devices at least 10-15 cm apart there isn't any issues. Only when they are stacked together (like you usually would). When it cuts out you can also hear the typical "gsm interference noise" in background if you have highly sensitive headphones/iems.

So it's a shielding issue on the HA2 (and SE). If you are travelling a lot I can not recommend the HA2(SE). If you are living in a big city with good coverage - not a problem.

I'm going to give it one last chance before I sell my HA2SE (or tell Oppo to give me a refund) - by putting aluminium foil between the phone and HA-2 when stacking and seeing if that helps. :-/

I love the HA2(SE) - it's form factor and functionality. But I'm close to buying a dacamp or mojo instead because of this... (or just giving up on portable audio and just use the Apple mini-jack converter when travelling). :)

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #34,249 of 42,765
Does Poly aid into the cell RF noise problem?

If you keep your phone away from the Mojo then yes. You should confirm in the Poly thread.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #34,250 of 42,765
Two ways RF can be caused, a non-shielded cable can be lengthed to pick-up radio signals(this shouldn't really happen, quite rare), or through the housing, the electronics lines pick up the RFI. Metal housing shields RFI, Mojo is obviously not a metal housing. Mojo was designed for portables in mind, cellphones are portable sources, people can have their antennas on at times since they could be using the phone functionalities, and something like this should been accounted for. Not sure if the plastic housing was due to cost reduction on their end.

Mojo as a consumer device has a bit things people have to put up with. Non-shielded housing for one, long charge time, power being shut-off immediately after turning it on(which is quite a petpeaves of mine). It's a ghetto production. LOL. Look at the damn thing. $500 dollars is a quite reasonable price point to expect something without those flaws.

I don't even know if I can fully trust the battery to last a long life-time, it seems like a shotty design.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #34,251 of 42,765
Two ways RF can be caused, a non-shielded cable can be lengthed to pick-up radio signals(this shouldn't really happen, quite rare), or through the housing, the electronics lines pick up the RFI. Metal housing shields RFI, Mojo is obviously not a metal housing. Mojo was designed for portables in mind, cellphones are portable sources, people can have their antennas on at times since they could be using the phone functionalities, and something like this should been accounted for. Not sure if the plastic housing was due to cost reduction on their end.

Mojo as a consumer device has a bit things people have to put up with. Non-shielded housing for one, long charge time, power being shut-off immediately after turning it on(which is quite a petpeaves of mine). It's a ghetto production. LOL. Look at the damn thing. $500 dollars is a quite reasonable price point to expect something without those flaws.
'Not sure if the plastic housing was due to cost reduction on their end.'?
The Mojo case is machined from an aluminium billet!

Oct 29, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #34,253 of 42,765
You're right, it is metal housing, dunno why I keep thinking it's not metal.

Anyway, there are spots the RFI can enter, large opening where the buttons are.
Certainly the case does not produce a metallic ring, if you tap it with a fingernail.
The buttons do offer an entry route, but surprisingly they never get mentioned by any posters.
Headphone cables also act as an aerial, which is an often overlooked RFI source - but using thicker/heavier RFI shielded cables for IEMs would probably be seem as inconvenient by many owners.

In all honesty, putting a ferrite choke on the USB cable, removed the RFI for me.
The only remaining source of clicks/pops was the internal electronics of the phone - the clicks appeared after an Android update, and then disappeared after a subsequent update.
Now I use the Shanling M1 as a transport for my Mojo, and there are no clicks at all.

Oct 29, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #34,255 of 42,765
Jesus Christ do we really need 2+ Pages of the posts About RF interference. Where the hell are the moderators To delete this bull?

Oct 29, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #34,256 of 42,765
Jesus Christ do we really need 2+ Pages of the posts About RF interference. Where the hell are the moderators To delete this bull****?

^this. Let’s talk about the line out mode some more.

But, I will add that with the CCK and the chord included usb cable (only an inch of separation or stacked), I got RFI on occasions, making the experience frequently not good. Totally solved this by using a longer usb cable (1m) and keeping the phone away, or using optical, and now, I hope, with Poly, when it gets to U.S.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #34,257 of 42,765
Jesus Christ do we really need 2+ Pages of the posts About RF interference. Where the hell are the moderators To delete this bull****?

As a potential buyer, I welcome this info. Everything has flaws along with praise. This, along with the battery issue, has given me pause. Before reading this thread thoroughly, I'd always thought Mojo was an almost "do no wrong" device. Not so sure now.

Oct 29, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #34,258 of 42,765

Well it is definitely a problem with the Mojo. I actually use my Mojo as a desktop solution using optical input, but if my phone, which is generally at least a metre away, rings or polls the network then I hear that through the Mojo. None of my other audio gear is affected by that.

So yes, it’s a valid discussion point, even if you think it’s bull.

Oct 29, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #34,259 of 42,765
As a potential buyer, I welcome this info. Everything has flaws along with praise. This, along with the battery issue, has given me pause. Before reading this thread thoroughly, I'd always thought Mojo was an almost "do no wrong" device. Not so sure now.
For most of us, the Mojo does perform as an 'almost do no wrong' device.
Most of the issues regarding RFI, cables, music players, batteries etc, were discussed in great depth almost two years ago, and @Mython captured much of the consensus about best practice in post #3.
Putting simple ferrite chokes ($1) on USB cables will cure most RFI, and using the optical input removes the issue completely.

My views regarding batteries do sometimes irritate a few long term posters on this thread.
They will make repeated claims/predictions that the Mojo batteries, will begin to fail after one year.
The Mojo has been on sale for two years, and has sold in excess of 50,000 units - the posts by the battery doomsayers make me feel that we should have seen about 20,000 Mojos returned by now for new batteries.
In reality the posts by owners who have had their batteries replaced, must amount to a total of less than 1% of Mojos worldwide.
So you must make your own mind up, as to how big an issue the battery is for you.
The battery issue would not stop me buying a Mojo.

Oct 29, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #34,260 of 42,765
That depends. For $529(current US price), I'd want the two years most rechargeable batteries last before acting up. I'm going to read those posts again but it seems like heavy usage wears the battery faster. I tend to turn off or unplug devices but sometimes I forget. The recent posters who left theirs running on the desktop and the one who used it daily for mobile had the battery suddenly give problems. I have other rechargeable devices hitting that two year mark with no battery replacements needed. And they're always being used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back