Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 19, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #31,201 of 42,788
You know... pairing the Shanling M1 to the Mojo... gives me connection via BT 4.0/AptX to my phone. I have a MicroSD full of songs in the M1... looks like I can pretty much do almost everything the Poly does... 

In terms of functionality, you may be correct. The question that remains until the Poly is released is whether the performance is the same ...

Mar 19, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #31,202 of 42,788
Having great time with the Samsung Tab>Mojo>VE Zen. Charger plugged in while playing and the Mojo is getting uncomfortably warm. I understand that it gets warm but to what degree is acceptable is what's bothering me. Any thoughts. Thanks.

Mar 19, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #31,203 of 42,788
Having great time with the Samsung Tab>Mojo>VE Zen. Charger plugged in while playing and the Mojo is getting uncomfortably warm. I understand that it gets warm but to what degree is acceptable is what's bothering me. Any thoughts. Thanks.

It will shut off before it becomes unacceptable. There are thermal protection safeties built in.

If using the Mojo while plugged in and while the battery is low there will be more heat generated. The recommendation is to run the Mojo plugged in with a near full battery, which will draw less Current to charge the battery and therefore produce less heat.

Mar 19, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #31,204 of 42,788
It will shut off before it becomes unacceptable. There are thermal protection safeties built in.

If using the Mojo while plugged in and while the battery is low there will be more heat generated. The recommendation is to run the Mojo plugged in with a near full battery, which will draw less Current to charge the battery and therefore produce less heat.

Hi, thanks for the thoughts. The battery was already fully charged with a 2.1a Samsung charger before use. Might be just me going OCD with heat issues as I have issues with other electronics before. But it does feel like there's a little too much this time round though. OCD again??? Haha. Anyway, it's good to know that there are safety features built in. 
etysmile.gif

Mar 19, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #31,205 of 42,788
Hi, thanks for the thoughts. The battery was already fully charged with a 2.1a Samsung charger before use. Might be just me going OCD with heat issues as I have issues with other electronics before. But it does feel like there's a little too much this time round though. OCD again??? Haha. Anyway, it's good to know that there are safety features built in. :etysmile:

There are three drivers impacting how hot your Mojo gets:

• the local ambient temperature
  • the amount of heat that is generated by Mojo - the advice from @x Relic x will minimise this
  • the ease with which heat can escape from the Mojo - standing your Mojo on its side (instead of the normal flat on its back), will maximise this

Combining these two solutions seems to work for most owners, who reported problems on this thread.

And if all this fails, then I think that Mojo contains three separate thermal cutout switches, for safety.

Mar 19, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #31,206 of 42,788
There are three drivers impacting how hot your Mojo gets:

• the local ambient temperature
  • the amount of heat that is generated by Mojo - the advice from @x Relic x will minimise this
  • the ease with which heat can escape from the Mojo - standing your Mojo on its side (instead of the normal flat on its back), will maximise this

Combining these two solutions seems to work for most owners, who reported problems on this thread.

And if all this fails, then I think that Mojo contains three separate thermal cutout switches, for safety.

Hi, thanks for the reassurance. I have now placed some coins under the rubber feet raising the base up for better heat dissipation.

Mar 19, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #31,207 of 42,788

i use an apple ipod touch 6 (128gb)...does my Tidal streaming and offline...can also play flac, alac and even 24/192 files
with the onkyo hf app for only $10... got mine used, paid only US$250 for 128gb...fab deal.
still a solid workhorse..buy the chord extender kit as in pic (it's not the poly) @$100 and a CCK cable US$25 and you're all set.

Thanks! I actually have a 64GB ipod touch that I'd forgotten about, so I've ordered the connection kit and it should arrive today ( Amazon Prime rocks!)

I've been using the Mojo with my iPhone 7 but have become frustrated at having to keep connecting and disconnecting it and having to use a long USB lead to avoid RF interference. Your solution looks much more practical, and if it work out I'll get a 128G version.

Mar 19, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #31,208 of 42,788

Now all I need is to get some iems, looking at the Sennheiser IE80.

Mar 19, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #31,209 of 42,788
  Hi, thanks for the thoughts. The battery was already fully charged with a 2.1a Samsung charger before use. Might be just me going OCD with heat issues as I have issues with other electronics before. But it does feel like there's a little too much this time round though. OCD again??? Haha. Anyway, it's good to know that there are safety features built in. 
etysmile.gif

If you think Mojo is hot, wait till you touch a tube amp. I had the ALO CDM before, this thing gets so ridiculously hot that it becomes a discomfort to turn the volume knob!

Mar 19, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #31,210 of 42,788
I'm currently running the Mojo using optical cable because i'm too lazy to install the drivers and the optical connector is more robust. I know Rob said there should't be any difference in SQ but has anyone found any significant difference between USB and Optical?

Mar 19, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #31,211 of 42,788

If you think Mojo is hot, wait till you touch a tube amp. I had the ALO CDM before, this thing gets so ridiculously hot that it becomes a discomfort to turn the volume knob!

Hi, thanks and noted on that. I have actually held back on tube amps though I have this urge to own one. Will get to it in time soon.

Mojo is reminiscent of the days I own the then shoe box Naim Audio. 
etysmile.gif

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #31,212 of 42,788

i use an apple ipod touch 6 (128gb)...does my Tidal streaming and offline...can also play flac, alac and even 24/192 files
with the onkyo hf app for only $10... got mine used, paid only US$250 for 128gb...fab deal.
still a solid workhorse..buy the chord extender kit as in pic (it's not the poly) @$100 and a CCK cable US$25 and you're all set.

Thanks! I actually have a 64GB ipod touch that I'd forgotten about, so I've ordered the connection kit and it should arrive today ( Amazon Prime rocks!)

I've been using the Mojo with my iPhone 7 but have become frustrated at having to keep connecting and disconnecting it and having to use a long USB lead to avoid RF interference. Your solution looks much more practical, and if it work out I'll get a 128G version.

i bought the mojo extender kit as I hated having to use two cables previously:
the sound connection kept breaking with any movement of the device after a while.
doubtless just one of the reasons chord assessed in releasing the the extender kit: better connection, less cables, less hassles,
plus it now sits flush to an apple phone/later generation ipod touch players... so a win-win solution on any fronts.

and IOS just works so well with Chord, too.

Mar 19, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #31,214 of 42,788
  Updated USB audio player pro today, as it now supports MQA/Hi Res audio with tidal.

I realise the mojo dosn't support MQA, but the Hi Res tracks i've tried i.e. 24bit/96khz 
seem to play at 24bit/48khz, can anyone explain this??

it is downsampling so that would be quite a controversy if UAPP is being touted as bit perfect.

Mar 19, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #31,215 of 42,788
  Updated USB audio player pro today, as it now supports MQA/Hi Res audio with tidal.

I realise the mojo dosn't support MQA, but the Hi Res tracks i've tried i.e. 24bit/96khz 
seem to play at 24bit/48khz, can anyone explain this??

That's great. I'll check it out. The reason it is playing at 24/48 is that is how the file is received and played with no MQA processing. When streaming MQA files you either need a compatible DAC or a software program which does some MQA processing commonly called unfolding. To date the only software I'm aware of that is unfolding Tidal is their own desktop app and Audirvana 3.0. With software unfolding it only partially processes the file so you get partial benefits of the unfolding process. An MQA DAC is required to get the full benefits.

So in all likelihood UAPP is allowing you to access the Tidal Masters but is not doing any additional MQA processing. Roon does a similar function.

Having said that some have observed that Tidal Masters have a better sound than just plain old 16/44 streaming even without any MQA processing.

EDIT: For those interested this provides a basic MQA overview:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/ca/ca-academy/mqa-for-civilians/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back