Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 30, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #3,061 of 42,765
Is optical cable meant to be bent? Does it have ant impact on the sound quality?

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:07 AM Post #3,062 of 42,765
Moon audio toslink cable looked like Sysconcept one, oem?
Plastic core or glass?

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #3,063 of 42,765
Has
In other news, for those that are interested, I can try a test to see if QP1R to Mojo vs QP1R to AK120 to Mojo sounds the same, that will prove surely if player EQ / DAC plays a part in what is received by an outboard DAC or not (on the assumption the AK can both receive and transmit optical at the same time)

Interested?

Definitely! Needs to be blind and volume matched with several participants too :)

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #3,064 of 42,765
In other news, for those that are interested, I can try a test to see if QP1R to Mojo vs QP1R to AK120 to Mojo sounds the same, that will prove surely if player EQ / DAC plays a part in what is received by an outboard DAC or not (on the assumption the AK can both receive and transmit optical at the same time)

Interested?

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #3,065 of 42,765
About optical fibre bending

Beside mechanical destruction, another reason why one should avoid excessive bending of fiber-optic cables is to minimize microbending and macrobending losses. Microbending causes light attenuation induced by deformation of the fiber while macrobending causes the leakage of light through the fiber cladding and this is more likely to happen where the fiber is excessively bent.

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #3,066 of 42,765

That sounds scary. Imagine if you have a tight-fitting ciem in your ears. Better unplug real quick.

Also, the big buttons means you could have something similar happening from inside your pocket or bag, in which case it's probably safest to yank it out of the ear as quickly as possible without damaging the eardrum. Scary stuff! A "lock" function would be nice.

After I rolled and move them its much better now, I guess it takes some time...

Oct 30, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #3,067 of 42,765
  One sounds better than the other.    :)

you are not wrong mate... Van-the-Man has recreated magic, I'll be having a wowza day...
tongue_smile.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 30, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #3,068 of 42,765

Interested?

It would be interesting but I'm not sure it would prove a positive as the ak120 could have a pass through circuit when receiving a digital audio input as it doesn't need any codes or anything for that (think of it like a tape loop in an ideal stereo :) )

Oct 30, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #3,069 of 42,765
It would be interesting but I'm not sure it would prove a positive as the ak120 could have a pass through circuit when receiving a digital audio input as it doesn't need any codes or anything for that (think of it like a tape loop in an ideal stereo
smily_headphones1.gif
)

My head hurts   :frowning2:  

Oct 30, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #3,070 of 42,765

My head hurts   :frowning2:  

Sorry...

I'll try to write a concise summary with analogies here...

Lets go back to analogue and vinyl, the sound information is created by the physical groove on the record right?  so the depth, width and shape of the groove itself relate DIRECTLY to the sound you are reproducing.

We can visualise a digital PCM stream as being equivalent to that and the DAC being the stylus with the DAC or Stylus feeding the audio to our amplifier and then headphones or speakers.

We're all in agreement there I think with a perfect signal, DAC/turntable and amp everything would sound the same with the same speakers or headphones.

What I have been trying to explain in earlier posts is that the digital file itself stores that PCM stream so the file has to be read and turned into that PCM stream, we do not start with the vinyl, we start with a digital description of the vinyl that the DAP has to turn into the model of the vinyl (of course the benefit of this is that you can play and copy the original as many times as you want with no degradation of quality).

Bringing it back to physical terms we have the file to print the vinyl on a 3D printer.

Interpreting this is where different transports COULD alter the signal (and my phone definitely does as the change the volume digitally you have to change the PCM stream) - do I personally think that there is going to be a really noticeable difference?  Not really, I think that it will be the least noticeable part of the chain (way behind DAC, Amp, Headphone and environment), but the question that triggered this whole discussion was whether it could make a difference or was it always perfect because digital = digital.

Now in Duncan's test if we get 2 different sounds it proves that the AK is altering the signal - but if it does not NOTICEABLY change the sound it could be because there is no processing going on or that it is minimal or very similar BUT it could be bypassing the AK software altogether and outputting the PCM feed that it receives straight out (like tape loops used to try to on old school amps).

I hope that makes sense - if there are specific questions PM me - but I'm not not going to flood the thread any more :)

Oct 30, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #3,071 of 42,765
I'm using a MacBook Pro which has an USB and an Optical out (via the headphone Jack). Which one will have better SQ & why? 

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #3,072 of 42,765
Chord Mojo have excellent synergy with JH Angie!
Love this combo very very much! 

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #3,073 of 42,765
Charged the mojo yesterday night...forgot to take it on my commute this morning...damn...oh well there's the weekend.

From the initial impressions from the demo unit at Executive Stereo I was floored...how could something so small be this good???? 

When I pre-ordered the unit last week I purely demoed it from streaming music from Spotify, I could not believe how well the music was reproduced. 

I can't wait to try the sampler DSD tracks tonight - anyone downloaded the sampler tracks? How do they sound? Never had previous experience with DSD....

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #3,074 of 42,765
MoJo arrived safely this morning at work .... Can't wait to get home and start the charging process.

Sys concept cable scheduled to arrive from Canada on Tuesday

is there anything I can do in the meantime to try this thing out with my AK120 ?

Greenmac

Oct 30, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #3,075 of 42,765
Sorry...

I'll try to write a concise summary with analogies here...

Lets go back to analogue and vinyl, the sound information is created by the physical groove on the record right?  so the depth, width and shape of the groove itself relate DIRECTLY to the sound you are reproducing.

We can visualise a digital PCM stream as being equivalent to that and the DAC being the stylus with the DAC or Stylus feeding the audio to our amplifier and then headphones or speakers.

We're all in agreement there I think with a perfect signal, DAC/turntable and amp everything would sound the same with the same speakers or headphones.

What I have been trying to explain in earlier posts is that the digital file itself stores that PCM stream so the file has to be read and turned into that PCM stream, we do not start with the vinyl, we start with a digital description of the vinyl that the DAP has to turn into the model of the vinyl (of course the benefit of this is that you can play and copy the original as many times as you want with no degradation of quality).

Bringing it back to physical terms we have the file to print the vinyl on a 3D printer.

Interpreting this is where different transports COULD alter the signal (and my phone definitely does as the change the volume digitally you have to change the PCM stream) - do I personally think that there is going to be a really noticeable difference?  Not really, I think that it will be the least noticeable part of the chain (way behind DAC, Amp, Headphone and environment), but the question that triggered this whole discussion was whether it could make a difference or was it always perfect because digital = digital.

Now in Duncan's test if we get 2 different sounds it proves that the AK is altering the signal - but if it does not NOTICEABLY change the sound it could be because there is no processing going on or that it is minimal or very similar BUT it could be bypassing the AK software altogether and outputting the PCM feed that it receives straight out (like tape loops used to try to on old school amps).

I hope that makes sense - if there are specific questions PM me - but I'm not not going to flood the thread any more :)

James, that's a very nice attempt but your description of the analog stage missed out RIAA equalization. This takes the output from the stylus/cartridge which is in effect the raw data, and reverses the processing that was done to cut the original record by boosting bass and cutting treble. So, the analog steps are cartridge to RIAA to pre-amp. Note that in the past the RIAA stage (aka Phono stage) was usually inside the pre-amp, and although it is a standard its effectiveness will vary by how it is implemented. This part of the chain also amplifies the signal before it reaches the pre-amp stage as the signal from the cartridge is very low.

Therefore as I see it, the DAPs digital output is akin to the output of the cartridge, and the DAC is somewhat akin to the RIAA/phono stage. It's not a perfect analogy but both the analog and digital systems take the recorded material and prepare it for the pre-amp stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back