Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 30, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #3,091 of 42,765
Sorry to hear about that. What headphones are you using? Your IE800's or Roxanne's? Any chance to try another unit at a dealer perhaps? Cheers 
I tested paired with Sony xba z5 , Sony mdr z7 , Sennheiser hd600( zx2 can't drive these cans) , my mojo sound good but not good as zx2 by reasons up above ... I believe burn in , I have experience with my zx2 after 400 hours sound crazy nothing can be compare ...so will try brake mojo

Oct 30, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #3,092 of 42,765
I have known for a long time that the 1300 fiber optical cable, when bent, as it is for the Mojo to AK or whatever dap, is capable of this due to the 1300 fibers being able to take the bend without causing transmission loss but the solid fiber can not do this, it will cause micro fractures and there will be shadowing and transmission loss. I confirmed this again with Sysconcepts. They stated they will only use bend radius with appropriate optical cables and have tested them. Joseph stated he is more concerned with people getting their finger prints on the polished end, as this could cause a problem but he is not concerned with transmission loss otherwise. 

I tested this myself in use and had a solid core and bent it to the same radius as the 1300 core I use. No good and it was ruined. I have never had a problem with the 1300 core as the fibers are so fine and bend much easier without any fracture or transmission loss. 

Oct 30, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #3,093 of 42,765
  I have known for a long time that the 1300 fiber optical cable, when bent, as it is for the Mojo to AK or whatever dap, is capable of this due to the 1300 fibers being able to take the bend without causing transmission loss but the solid fiber can not do this, it will cause micro fractures and there will be shadowing and transmission loss. I confirmed this again with Sysconcepts. They stated they will only use bend radius with appropriate optical cables and have tested them. Joseph stated he is more concerned with people getting their finger prints on the polished end, as this could cause a problem but he is not concerned with transmission loss otherwise. 

I tested this myself in use and had a solid core and bent it to the same radius as the 1300 core I use. No good and it was ruined. I have never had a problem with the 1300 core as the fibers are so fine and bend much easier without any fracture or transmission loss. 

Exactly and well said. 

Now I just want to see if there's any longer-term trade-off between the 2.2mm unshielded and the 5mm shielded versions of the Sys Concepts cables. 

Cheers 

Oct 30, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #3,094 of 42,765

This is rather impressively scientific. Bravo, jamato8. For us laymen (and women) would you mind describing what impact this shadowing or transmission loss has on SQ? I.e, is it noticeable and in what way. And what impact would fingerprints have?
Thanks in advance, with genuine interest.

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #3,095 of 42,765
Yes, have to say that I am VERY happy with my sysconcepts cable (that isn't in question) my point a couple of pages back was that I cannot hear a difference between this and the other cable I was using (non optimised for mojo use, so a big loop poking out of the top), given the choice, would I buy again? An emphatic YES from me :)

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #3,097 of 42,765
  Exactly and well said. 

Now I just want to see if there's any longer-term trade-off between the 2.2mm unshielded and the 5mm shielded versions of the Sys Concepts cables. 

Cheers 

I have both, 2.2 and 5mm. They are the same cable. The casing on the 5 mm is in place, which makes it more robust. With the 2.2 treated a little more carefully, as all the outer case is taken off, so it isn't torqued when you insert it (preferably both ends a little at a time when inserting and when taking the cable out) and it will last just fine. I have some here that are about 4 years old, maybe 5, I don't remember for sure, and they are all fine. The 2.2 has the advantage of taking a tighter bend closer to where it comes out of termination and so it ends up closer to the dap and dac. All I can say is that for the price, quality and insurance, I have been really happy with the Sysconcepts cables since about 2007 when I was using the single core from the iRiver 120/140 (crazy but I still have 6 of these) to dacs and enjoying the heck out of it. 

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #3,099 of 42,765
popcorn.gif
 ​

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #3,103 of 42,765
Front row and center!

:popcorn:

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #3,104 of 42,765
It's funny how these things work, I sold my ZX2 for the exact reasons as you, but mojo replacing ZX2 in all of the above, I find the mojo far more musical, but as with everything, it won't be for everyone.

Enjoy the ZX2 in its own right if you don't get the mojo love, certainly still a good place to be :)

Duncan,

I agree with your observation of the musicality of the Mojo. After a week with the Mojo, it is to me the combination of clarity and musicality without fatigue that makes the Mojo really special. I have had portable amps that have great clarity but are fatiguing or are muddy but not fatiguing.

Also, as a rationalist and objectivist I hesitate to say this with a solid state component but after a week and maybe 30 hours of use the sound stage has opened up more and clarity and imaging has improved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back