Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 1, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #29,911 of 42,765

Often people found that was down to the cable. However sometimes it is the port on the Mojo, and some owners had to get theirs replaced.

I had an early production Mojo, and now a new one. I found, that some USB cables have loose connection with both Mojos, and some connect firmly. So I think, the socket on the Mojo has not changed. (Interesting enough, the expensive cables like AQ Cinnamon or QED Reference were close to useless in this regard, while cheap Lindy or noname cables work like a dream.)

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #29,912 of 42,765
Thanks both of you for the reactions, it was the cable after all. With my first unit, I tried 4 different cables with no success, so I somehow didn't try it now. Indeed, other cables work like charm, only the original Chord one is faulty.
I like mojo very much, but this experience is somewhat disconcerting (especially the first one, where other cables didn't make difference). I bought it close to 400usd new with free case, and it is hard not to love the sound for the price... if only this crucial port would inspire a tad bit more confidence... :)

By the way paired with Audeze sine w/ modified earcups, mojo is not to underestimate. I listen to it more than to my main combo nowadays (irdac, cayin iha6, he560), albeit mainly due comfort and portability...

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #29,914 of 42,765
  Thanks both of you for the reactions, it was the cable after all. With my first unit, I tried 4 different cables with no success, so I somehow didn't try it now. Indeed, other cables work like charm, only the original Chord one is faulty.
I like mojo very much, but this experience is somewhat disconcerting (especially the first one, where other cables didn't make difference). I bought it close to 400usd new with free case, and it is hard not to love the sound for the price... if only this crucial port would inspire a tad bit more confidence... :)

By the way paired with Audeze sine w/ modified earcups, mojo is not to underestimate. I listen to it more than to my main combo nowadays (irdac, cayin iha6, he560), albeit mainly due comfort and portability...

Good result.

(You just reminded me to search online for a Mojo case. I want a cheap one, haha.)

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #29,917 of 42,765
Ok. I wanted to try today, but after checking all my longer micro USB cable that I have, all are unshielded, as those are mainly meant for charging. I have to buy good micro USB cable with proper shielding to do the test. Will look around.

I can lend you my Anker Powerline+! :D
I got some ferrite cores too!

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #29,918 of 42,765
hmm concerning bass I think it's possible that what some are missing in Mojos bass response compared to other (lower priced) DACs is a diffused background noise mistaken for part of the bass sound.

try to listen for details, that are present during the bass passage, and compare if you can pick up those details with the other DACs.

Cheers

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #29,919 of 42,765
hmm concerning bass I think it's possible that what you miss in Mojos bass response compared to other (lower priced) DACs is a diffused background noise mistaken for part of the bass sound.

try to listen for details, that are present during the bass passage, and compare if you can pick up those details with the other DACs.

Cheers

Well yeah, the quality of all the frequencies on the Mojo is far better. But it's not merely a diffused background noise on other DAC/amps; they just have more powerful bass, for whatever reason. We know it's not due to the actual frequency response, since all of them measure as neutral. So it's gotta be a combination of other factors.

What's more important to me than that, though, is the impact of higher frequencies like snare drums.

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #29,920 of 42,765
Was just mentioning the possibility, since I experienced similar.

I remember thinking Mojo sometimes lacked bass impact compared to other devices. But in my case it was the before described effect.

I think that detail, you did not pick up before, can lead to the impression that the only sound you heard before, bass in this case, has less impact/lower volume.

It took me sometime to adjust, but I don't feel the bass is lacking, anymore... it's just a whole lot details I didn't hear before, are now presented together with the bass.

Cheers

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #29,921 of 42,765
Was just mentioning the possibility, since I experienced similar.

I remember thinking Mojo sometimes lacked bass impact compared to other devices. But in my case it was the before described effect.

I think that detail, you did not pick up before, can lead to the impression that the only sound you heard before, bass in this case, has less impact/lower volume.

It took me sometime to adjust, but I don't feel the bass is lacking, anymore... it's just a whole lot details I didn't hear before, are now presented together with the bass.

Cheers

I suspect one factor is the superior reproduction of transients. I noticed the same thing with electrostatic headphones.

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #29,922 of 42,765
Yeah IMHO it would make sense, that the lack of an pre echo allows to pick up more of bespoke details.

Feb 1, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #29,923 of 42,765

Well yeah, the quality of all the frequencies on the Mojo is far better. But it's not merely a diffused background noise on other DAC/amps; they just have more powerful bass, for whatever reason. We know it's not due to the actual frequency response, since all of them measure as neutral. So it's gotta be a combination of other factors.

What's more important to me than that, though, is the impact of higher frequencies like snare drums.

I just repeated your test with the oppo HA2, and the bass seems marginally louder than for the mojo, but i might not have noticed it if i had not been looking for it -expectation bias.
The oppo is cheaper than the mojo, but still an award winner, so it does not surprise me that it also handles bass better than lower spec dacs. 

Feb 1, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #29,924 of 42,765
  I just repeated your test with the oppo HA2, and the bass seems marginally louder than for the mojo, but i might not have noticed it if i had not been looking for it -expectation bias.
The oppo is cheaper than the mojo, but still an award winner, so it does not surprise me that it also handles bass better than lower spec dacs. 

I guess you meant testing the bass of different DACs in general. I'm still stuck on the discussion of that track I shared, which was mainly to test the impact of the snare drums.

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #29,925 of 42,765
51bf7b06_ElearMojo.png

raw

Users who are viewing this thread

Back