Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 31, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #29,881 of 42,765
  @x RELIC x & anyone else who owns higher-end Chord DACs:

Could you go to 1:50 in this track and compare the impact of the drums for me?

(Mojo first, then the others. I guess you should use headphones that excel at impact too. Crank the volume so you can feel the impact and try volume-matching as well as you can. And feel free to enjoy the entire track. It's from this phenomenal movie.)

I noticed that cheap DAC/amps and the like hit a lot harder than the Mojo in this respect, although the Mojo has much better sound quality. I was hoping the DAVE, Hugo 2, etc. would also hit harder like that.

I also agree that the mojo don't hit very hard. I have a $1,500 US dollars Hifiman 901s and it hits much harder that the mojo. I don't think it is because the DACs are cheap or expensive it is probably just the sound signature of each DAC. 

Jan 31, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #29,882 of 42,765
  I also agree that the mojo don't hit very hard. I have a $1,500 US dollars Hifiman 901s and it hits much harder that the mojo. I don't think it is because the DACs are cheap or expensive it is probably just the sound signature of each DAC. 

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that impact and price are proportional; just that every cheaper DAC I've heard hits harder.

Jan 31, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #29,883 of 42,765
great feedback. i know what im doing now. 

many thanks.

Jan 31, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #29,884 of 42,765
  @x RELIC x & anyone else who owns higher-end Chord DACs:

Could you go to 1:50 in this track and compare the impact of the drums for me?

(Mojo first, then the others. I guess you should use headphones that excel at impact too. Crank the volume so you can feel the impact and try volume-matching as well as you can. And feel free to enjoy the entire track. It's from this phenomenal movie.)

I noticed that cheap DAC/amps and the like hit a lot harder than the Mojo in this respect, although the Mojo has much better sound quality. I was hoping the DAVE, Hugo 2, etc. would also hit harder like that.

I tried with the mojo, plus Beyer T51i and Beyer T8ie headphones, and agree that the drums don't hit hard. The mojo does a better job of drums on other albums, so I wonder if it is something in the way that these drums have been recorded (are they electronic or acoustic drums?) or miked. 

Jan 31, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #29,885 of 42,765
  I tried with the mojo, plus Beyer T51i and Beyer T8ie headphones, and agree that the drums don't hit hard. The mojo does a better job of drums on other albums, so I wonder if it is something in the way that these drums have been recorded (are they electronic or acoustic drums?) or miked. 

No, I selected this track because the drums hit crazy hard (feels like two or three times harder) with cheaper DAC/amps like the Creative Sound Blaster E1. At least when paired with the KTXPRO1. (Plus I happen to adore this song.) It's not the best test track, of course.

Jan 31, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #29,886 of 42,765
Does anyone know if there is a Mojo trial program available in the US?  I want to compare my Ak120ii with and without a Mojo to see if I want to make an ownership jump on the Mojo.  I run Tidal off of my Ak120ii and from what everyone has been saying, the Mojo takes listening to another level. . . just want to test it out for myself.

If not maybe I'll just buy one and if I don't like it return it. . . 

basshead.gif

Jan 31, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #29,887 of 42,765
  Does anyone know if there is a Mojo trial program available in the US?  I want to compare my Ak120ii with and without a Mojo to see if I want to make an ownership jump on the Mojo.  I run Tidal off of my Ak120ii and from what everyone has been saying, the Mojo takes listening to another level. . . just want to test it out for myself.

basshead.gif

Amazon has a very good return policy if you buy a prime marked item. You can basically audition it for a maximum of 30 days.

Jan 31, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #29,888 of 42,765

basshead.gif

Closest thing I know of to that is this:

https://www.thecableco.com/product/new-headphone-lending-library

You can borrow it for a small fee that is put toward any future purchases from them.

Jan 31, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #29,891 of 42,765
Feb 1, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #29,893 of 42,765
  Amazon has a very good return policy if you buy a prime marked item. You can basically audition it for a maximum of 30 days.

Even with Prime, it depends on the seller; Amazon policy lists re-stocking fee for laptops and such at 20%, but sellers need to be explicit to levy it on other items. The first seller I purchased the Mojo from had put a sticker on the box, putting a 20% re-stocking fee on an opened box, so I promptly returned it. Then I bought it from another, who happened to have no such condition listed. Best to contact the seller before, if possible, or after placing the order, just to be sure.

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #29,894 of 42,765

It could be that your just hearing the impact as it really is, a truthful reproduction. If it's not it is strange to hear that a DAC as expensive as mojo couldn't reproduce impact properly.

I've heard about the more expensive Chord DACs having much stronger impact than the Mojo.

I played the track back on a M scaler and Dave. This combination is capable of immense speed and impact if the recording allows; but the Absolute Configuration track just sounds soft and lacks impact; it sounds typical of a heavily compressed and over produced MP3 or AAC file. Compression degrades transient timing, which makes it sound soft. So it's the recording, not Mojo.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back