Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 23, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #29,626 of 42,765
  Have you heard any of their Multibit offerings?

The lower Schiit Multibit offerings are just more detailed but still edgy and harsh for headphone listening. They're excellent for speaker use OTOH as they lift the veil of cheap speakers. The upper multibit offerings are even more detailed (maybe more detailed than Mojo) but still harsher and edgier than Mojo. Only Chord DACs do the ultra-revealing stuff and 3D imaging without sounding digital/artificial at all.

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #29,627 of 42,765
  Caved in and bought the Sonarworks Reference 3 Headphone software.

I was actually the first person on Head-Fi to post a tutorial for it back when I was using the trial.

Crossing my fingers I can get much better sound now! Anxious because it cost 99 Euros...

im interested on how it will adjust the sound of my Hd700 (hoping to make the treble much smoother and less fatiguing)

but i cant get the damn software to work, this problem i put in the thread itself.

i believe the HD700 is a phenomenal headphone but the pads have been proved to cause the treble reflections and because of the unique shape they cannot be swapped out thus needing some time and love with EQ, even the smooth mojo cant file down its rocky peaks.

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #29,628 of 42,765
  im interested on how it will adjust the sound of my Hd700 (hoping to make the treble much smoother and less fatiguing)

but i cant get the damn software to work, this problem i put in the thread itself.

i believe the HD700 is a phenomenal headphone but the pads have been proved to cause the treble reflections and because of the unique shape they cannot be swapped out thus needing some time and love with EQ, even the smooth mojo cant file down its rocky peaks.

I had the HD 700 in the past too. The HD 650 may not have the detail and imaging of the HD 800 and HD 700, but it sure is a lot easier to listen to. I could play anything with it and it sounded darn good...whereas the HD 800 and HD 700 could sound great one minute, then completely awful the next. And it's not because of the diversity of recordings; it's because of their well-documented frequency response aberrations.

With EQ the HD 800 becomes much more consistent, but other aspects of the sound cannot be altered with EQ alone. (Which I touched upon in earlier posts.)

If all you want is to lower the treble of the HD 700, you can do that in a broad way by simply reducing frequencies around 6 kHz. It won't give you an entirely balanced sound, but you can deal with that peak at least. Here are graphs you can consult.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD700.pdf
http://cdn.head-fi.org/d/da/dad0aff3_HD700measurements.png

You need to access Sonarworks as a VST plugin in foobar2000. (The dll file should be in your VST plugins folder in the program files folder.)

Download and install this VST adapter in foobar2000.  
Go to Components, VST plugins and add the Sonarworks plugin.

Go to Playback, DSP Manager and activate the Sonarworks plugin. Then click Configure Selected.

I got similar/better results than Sonarworks with my own research and efforts...but it is convenient for those who don't want to do so much work.

Edit: Looks like the VST adapter I linked to then is no longer available. Use this one instead:
http://www.yohng.com/software/foobarvst.html

Jan 24, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #29,629 of 42,765
Oh man. The more time I spend with the Mojo, the more wowed I am. Just played a video game remix album from the '90s (Killer Cuts, if anyone's familiar) that I've heard countless times before on countless systems...and couldn't believe how much better it sounded from the Mojo. (And this is with $10 Koss headphones!) I think I'm even more impressed with how it brings so much more out of lesser recordings than I am about how it handles audiophile material.

If anyone you meet doubts the benefits of a better DAC, just let them listen to a Chord DAC.

Jan 24, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #29,630 of 42,765
  Oh man. The more time I spend with the Mojo, the more wowed I am. Just played a video game remix album from the '90s (Killer Cuts, if anyone's familiar) that I've heard countless times before on countless systems...and couldn't believe how much better it sounded from the Mojo. (And this is with $10 Koss headphones!) I think I'm even more impressed with how it brings so much more out of lesser recordings than I am about how it handles audiophile material.

If anyone you meet doubts the benefits of a better DAC, just let them listen to a Chord DAC.

I made my wife listen to her favorite counter tenor the other day using the Mojo and it made her cry. True story.

Admittedly she always cries when she here's this guy sing, but still, it's a good story!

Jan 24, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #29,633 of 42,765
I just tested the X5ii headphone output to help a user in the X5ii thread. Um, never going back...... EVER. :ph34r:

Jan 24, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #29,635 of 42,765
  How can you keep your eyes dry with this though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXuoh2Q7ieY 

...And here I thought I was a good singer!
eek.gif

That was magnificent. Reminded me of my favorite female vocalist Sarah Brightman. (I'm assuming you know her.)

Whoa. I just remembered you're the guy I helped back in 2014.

Jan 24, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #29,636 of 42,765

...And here I thought I was a good singer!
eek.gif

That was magnificent. Reminded me of my favorite female vocalist Sarah Brightman. (I'm assuming you know her.)

Whoa. I just remembered you're the guy I helped back in 2014.

Ha! Really? Well I'm sure I needed it. Spent about 8K on gear in the last few months - so thanks for that.

Jan 24, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #29,637 of 42,765
I made my wife listen to her favorite counter tenor the other day using the Mojo and it made her cry. True story.

Admittedly she always cries when she here's this guy sing, but still, it's a good story!
Maybe she cried knowing how much you spend on music gear.

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #29,638 of 42,765

Optical will support DSD with DoP on the optical - but only DSD64. Also, if you use a plastic fibre, only use very short lengths - for longer lengths you need a quality glass fibre. Running optical at 192 kHz is close to the edge for some optical transmitters and cables.

Rob

On a related note, for a given bitrate, is there any reason to expect optical cables of different build qualities to differ in SQ? Assuming they're capable of supporting the bitrate without noticeable artifacts, such as, intermittent "pops". Also, how big a role does the DAC implementation play?

Thank you for your opinion.

Jan 24, 2017 at 5:46 AM Post #29,640 of 42,765

Do you know if there's a way for me to try the optical connection with my Alienware M11x R2 laptop? Perhaps via some sort of adapter cable?

Apparently there are USB to optical adapters...but I dunno if I'd want to buy one just to see if optical sounds better.

To be honest if it was me, I wouldn't bother unless USB is causing you issues. There are benefits of USB over optical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back