Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 23, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #29,596 of 42,765
So what's with the intermittent alien noise glitch with DSD and the Mojo? How common is this issue? Is there a fix?

This isn't a problem with the DAC. Your EQ settings are causing overflow on the numeric data. When you back off the gain universally, the gain in the EQ no longer causes overflow.

Yes, I didn't mean to imply there was something wrong with it; just that it follows normal principles in this respect.

the sonore micro rendu...anyone using one with their Mojo for at home listening/desktop setup?

Check out the SOtM sMS 200, it's better than the mRendu in some ways, and it's cheaper also.

I've had the mR before but I use a Hugo TT, so I can't comment on the Mojo... so I could only recommend.
biggrin.gif

Gah. I was gonna mention that one but ya beat me to it!

Personally I wouldn't bother with network players and music servers until later...like at least not until I have a Hugo 2.

Can anyone recommend a few solid IEMs that can be adequately driven by the Mojo's amp?

To those who are unaware (not necessarily you), the Mojo (along with the Hugo, Hugo 2, Hugo TT, and DAVE) does not have a separate amp section like a conventional DAC/amp; instead, headphones connected to its headphone output are driven directly from the DAC's analog output stage.

For more info:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/1830#post_10459450

As for IEMs that can be driven from it...you can drive nearly any headphone from it just fine. I can't imagine it not being able to drive an IEM unless it's an exotic electrostatic one that needs a specialized amp. So what you want to look into is which IEMs would suit your needs in terms of sound and other aspects.

Here's a good overview:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-352-iems-compared-pump-audio-earphones-added-04-03-16-p-1106

Jan 23, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #29,597 of 42,765
Optical will support DSD with DoP on the optical - but only DSD64. Also, if you use a plastic fibre, only use very short lengths - for longer lengths you need a quality glass fibre. Running optical at 192 kHz is close to the edge for some optical transmitters and cables.

Rob

Sys Concept do a 1300-strands 24/192 cable, not sure if glass, that is inexpensive and guaranteed to work at 24/192. I've had excellent results with it.

Jan 23, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #29,599 of 42,765
John Franks (Chord owner) has said the Hugo 2 will get its own Poly-like module for streaming remote content. (Maybe the ""
Well, for starters, I made up the name "Roly" to go with the Poly, and there has not been enough detail released about Poly, let alone the Hugo module, but for speculation and some "light reading" I would direct you to the Poly thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/831347/chord-electronics-poly-advanced-wireless-microsd-module-for-mojo-specs-in-1st-post

:):beerchug:
Roly is not a name we'll be using after all said and done in this day and age he'd be arrested and jailed for "kissing all the girls and making them Cry" if you know nothing of English children's rymes of the last two hundred years your forgiven for not knowing where that name came from. Any how we gone for the far safer option of .....2go as the name we've chosen for the Wi Fi player unit for Hugo 2

Will the Roly have an SD card with at least 200Gigs to store my music library flac files and stream TIDAL DIRECTLY or via Bluetooth from the iPhone that controls the Roly? I guess I'm confused about using the Roly as if the HUGO is now a dap but still needs a UI with the phone??!

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #29,600 of 42,765
  Can anyone recommend a few solid IEMs that can be adequately driven by the Mojo's amp? I am looking into upgrading my "portable" rig -- I currently have an iPod Classic going into a AlgoRhythm Solo to the ALO Rx Mk3-B, but I find myself unwilling to lug this brick around with me during my commute. I am thinking about pairing the Mojo with the original (?) AK 100 (the smaller one), but if the Mojo's amp isn't up to snuff then I may rethink my approach. Thanks!

I don't like pre-DAC volume control implementations... so I wouldn't use Mojo directly with IEMs since you'd have to dial in about 75+ dB attenuation. This particularly sucks because the lower 12 or so bits are effectively dithered by analog noise. You'll want lots of clean attenuation in the path. 

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #29,601 of 42,765

You tease John. I'm guessing it's not the name of my local Fish2go shop!

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #29,602 of 42,765
Roly is not a name we'll be using after all said and done in this day and age he'd be arrested and jailed for "kissing all the girls and making them Cry" if you know nothing of English children's rymes of the last two hundred years your forgiven for not knowing where that name came from. Any how we gone for the far safer option of .....2go as the name we've chosen for the Wi Fi player unit for Hugo 2

So when all is said and done will the final product with module be called Hugo 2 2go or Hugo 2go?

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #29,605 of 42,765
  Can anyone recommend a few solid IEMs that can be adequately driven by the Mojo's amp? I am looking into upgrading my "portable" rig -- I currently have an iPod Classic going into a AlgoRhythm Solo to the ALO Rx Mk3-B, but I find myself unwilling to lug this brick around with me during my commute. I am thinking about pairing the Mojo with the original (?) AK 100 (the smaller one), but if the Mojo's amp isn't up to snuff then I may rethink my approach. Thanks!

The Mojo has good synergy with many IEMS, so it would be helpful if you can suggest a budget, and your musical preferences, in order to help members narrow down the list of recommendations for you. 
normal_smile .gif

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #29,606 of 42,765
  So what's with the intermittent alien noise glitch with DSD and the Mojo? How common is this issue? Is there a fix?

Yes, I didn't mean to imply there was something wrong with it; just that it follows normal principles in this respect.

Gah. I was gonna mention that one but ya beat me to it!

Personally I wouldn't bother with network players and music servers until later...like at least not until I have a Hugo 2.

To those who are unaware (not necessarily you), the Mojo (along with the Hugo, Hugo 2, Hugo TT, and DAVE) does not have a separate amp section like a conventional DAC/amp; instead, headphones connected to its headphone output are driven directly from the DAC's analog output stage.

For more info:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/1830#post_10459450

As for IEMs that can be driven from it...you can drive nearly any headphone from it just fine. I can't imagine it not being able to drive an IEM unless it's an exotic electrostatic one that needs a specialized amp. So what you want to look into is which IEMs would suit your needs in terms of sound and other aspects.

Here's a good overview:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-352-iems-compared-pump-audio-earphones-added-04-03-16-p-1106

If you hear 'intermittent alien noise glitch' it means that you are the chosen one. 
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #29,609 of 42,765
I have same issues with mojo.
I tried iphone7, ipad air (onkyo)
Mac mini and Macbook Pro Retina 2014 (core i7 2,8Ghz) with audirvana and other players

playing dsd128 and dsd256 have some stops/stutters. in random times.
even if files are buffered.

I asked Chord about this issues, they said it's problem with cable.
I tried different USB cables and finally bought Mojo Cable Pack from Chord - but problem still exists.

Jan 23, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #29,610 of 42,765
  I have same issues with mojo.
I tried iphone7, ipad air (onkyo)
Mac mini and Macbook Pro Retina 2014 (core i7 2,8Ghz) with audirvana and other players

playing dsd128 and dsd256 have some stops/stutters. in random times.
even if files are buffered.

I asked Chord about this issues, they said it's problem with cable.
I tried different USB cables and finally bought Mojo Cable Pack from Chord - but problem still exists.

Have you checked the FAQ in post #3, specifically the section about connecting to idevices?
I don't use idevices myself, but I have a nagging thought that some cables are limited to dsd128 or lower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back