Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 8, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #25,396 of 42,765
Question : I'm going to use the mojo mainly stationary at my desk at work. Is there any reason I should not just leave it connected to a charger?

Nov 8, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #25,397 of 42,765
Question : I'm going to use the mojo mainly stationary at my desk at work. Is there any reason I should not just leave it connected to a charger?

According to Chord no.  Traditional Lipo batteries don't like be charged constantly which can damage them.  So basically it depends who and what you believe about Lipo batteries. 

I personally don't leave mine plugged in all the time.  I fly quads and leaving a battery charging after the charge cycle is complete is a big no no.

Nov 8, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #25,398 of 42,765
According to Chord no.  Traditional Lipo batteries don't like be charged constantly which can damage them.  So basically it depends who and what you believe about Lipo batteries. 

I personally don't leave mine plugged in all the time.  I fly quads and leaving a battery charging after the charge cycle is complete is a big no no.

Thanks mate. Where did Chord communicate this? I didn't see anything in the manual. Unless I missed it... I think it all depends on how "smart" their charging circuit is.

Nov 8, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #25,399 of 42,765

as with all lithium ion/polymer batteries - it has a protective circuit that automatically turns off charging when it detects that the battery is already full. it will only do an incremental charge when it detects that the battery has fallen to a certain voltage - it will charge it and then detect it's full then stops charging again. So i see no problem leaving it plugged in.

Nov 8, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #25,401 of 42,765
  It's been posted several times in this thread.

Sorry Sir but these gifs have not - to the best of my knowledge? 
blink.gif

Today some people will be deciding on a Christmas gift - a decision that may shape their off-springs future including their own.

A pet is not just for Christmas but it can last 4 years or more.

Maybe there are too few choices to chose from but I would always go for a safe pair of paws.

?  or   ? 
blink.gif

Or perhaps it might be easier to buy them a Mojo of their own? 
wink_face.gif

Nov 8, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #25,403 of 42,765

Incorrect. See:

Mojo, like Hugo, has been designed so that you can have the charger plugged in constantly. So on a desktop charge and run it at the same time. Once its fully charged, the charger will just supply enough current to balance Mojo's current draw, so no net current from the battery.

Rob

Nov 8, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #25,405 of 42,765
Per the current discussion, I've had my Mojo plugged in nearly exclusively for the last several months. Will unplug it and try to get a rough idea of the battery life and report back for those concerned.

Nov 8, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #25,406 of 42,765

​Nothing to do with cost. I have always had a CD/DVD transport as I wanted separate DACs and not to duplicate them. Once included the press, and 80% of people will judge it as a DAP because it IS one then. And then it will sound poor because of the cheapest DAC implementation. As a standalone it can only be paired, and will be looked at in a different light. Why start thread as a transport then change it when many liked the idea?

I see! 

Then the best options they would have is to add a proper to very good DAC, making it a ultra good transport and an very good line out device! 

At this point might as well add really good or proper headphone output and make another X5 or X7.

Well, I'm not one to judge, but if they to make it a good device, I'm all for it having DAC and headphone output, especially if maybe it has another kind of sound or it's an X5ii sound but with touchscreen and multiple ports or if it's better in any way. I remember dual mSD ports, and a few other of the features it's planned to have, so if they continue improving it, it might become a good transport but also a good overall DAP. 

From my limited experience, audiophile niche is not exactly the biggest niche, and people who need a transport only are so few that the decision might make sense, depending on the price of the device and other features. 

Many many people were enthused by Cowon J3 even though it sounded really bad and was a bad DAP overall (bad charging port, bad display, really bad and limited sound, no LO, no DO, not able to use it as anything but dap and the sound being warm and rolled off, the OS on J3 was practically remade to be good by a friendly developer who made it for free for everybody)

Maybe it turns out better than we expect like this? (Being a marketing thing, it's not good if the DAC and HO are bad, it will be in a bad light, but if those are good, it might be a golden transport solution that will please many. People pay over 500$ for Mojo, maybe paying a 300$ or so for it's transport is not such a bad idea if it's a good device? 
biggrin.gif

(And I'm here waiting to see how X5iii turns... )

Nov 8, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #25,407 of 42,765

I see! 

Then the best options they would have is to add a proper to very good DAC, making it a ultra good transport and an very good line out device! 

At this point might as well add really good or proper headphone output and make another X5 or X7.

Well, I'm not one to judge, but if they to make it a good device, I'm all for it having DAC and headphone output, especially if maybe it has another kind of sound or it's an X5ii sound but with touchscreen and multiple ports or if it's better in any way. I remember dual mSD ports, and a few other of the features it's planned to have, so if they continue improving it, it might become a good transport but also a good overall DAP. 

From my limited experience, audiophile niche is not exactly the biggest niche, and people who need a transport only are so few that the decision might make sense, depending on the price of the device and other features. 

Many many people were enthused by Cowon J3 even though it sounded really bad and was a bad DAP overall (bad charging port, bad display, really bad and limited sound, no LO, no DO, not able to use it as anything but dap and the sound being warm and rolled off, the OS on J3 was practically remade to be good by a friendly developer who made it for free for everybody)

Maybe it turns out better than we expect like this? (Being a marketing thing, it's not good if the DAC and HO are bad, it will be in a bad light, but if those are good, it might be a golden transport solution that will please many. People pay over 500$ for Mojo, maybe paying a 300$ or so for it's transport is not such a bad idea if it's a good device? :D

(And I'm here waiting to see how X5iii turns... )

That's exactly how thread went, sigh. Fiio proposed a Pure transport for owners of Mojos, Hugo's and other good DACs. After all the early comments replied yes, they decided to make ......... another DAP. Anyway, back to Mojo, many will now wait for an add on without DAC, from Chord :)

Nov 8, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #25,409 of 42,765
as with all lithium ion/polymer batteries - it has a protective circuit that automatically turns off charging when it detects that the battery is already full. it will only do an incremental charge when it detects that the battery has fallen to a certain voltage - it will charge it and then detect it's full then stops charging again. So i see no problem leaving it plugged in.
Incorrect. See:

Overcharge is not the issue. If the battery were overcharged it would likely catch fire and / or explode.

From personal experience with other devices becoming completely useless from this practice I wouldn't leave it plugged in all the time for prolonged periods, but that's just my $0.02. It takes nothing to unplug a USB connection and manage the charge vs risking a very low capacity after months of continuously being plugged in IMO. I've paid the laziness price in the past with other devices. Each individual will have to weigh the risk / rewards of such practice.

In the end it really depnds on how Chord has implemented the charging scheme. They say it's fine but they also say it does a topping charge to 8.4V (4.2Vx2) after the battery reaches 8.2V (4.1Vx2) which over a long period of time is bad. Other reports in this thread indicate this may have been the cause of Mojo's low battery life off the charger for them, but it hasn't been confirmed as the definitive cause of their short battery life.

Lithium batteries are stressed when kept near their max voltage of 4.2V (and anything over 4.05V) for long periods of time. You can read about it here.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

"Li-ion cannot absorb overcharge. When fully charged, the charge current must be cut off. A continuous trickle charge would cause plating of metallic lithium and compromise safety. To minimize stress, keep the lithium-ion battery at the peak cut-off as short as possible.

Once the charge is terminated, the battery voltage begins to drop. This eases the voltage stress. Over time, the open circuit voltage will settle to between 3.70V and 3.90V/cell. Note that a Li-ion battery that has received a fully saturated charge will keep the voltage elevated for a longer than one that has not received a saturation charge.

When lithium-ion batteries must be left in the charger for operational readiness, some chargers apply a brief topping charge to compensate for the small self-discharge the battery and its protective circuit consume. The charger may kick in when the open circuit voltage drops to 4.05V/cell and turn off again at 4.20V/cell. Chargers made for operational readiness, or standby mode, often let the battery voltage drop to 4.00V/cell and recharge to only 4.05V/cell instead of the full 4.20V/cell. This reduces voltage-related stress and prolongs battery life.

Some portable devices sit in a charge cradle in the ON position. The current drawn through the device is called the parasitic load and can distort the charge cycle. Battery manufacturers advise against parasitic loads while charging because they induce mini-cycles. This cannot always be avoided and a laptop connected to the AC main is such a case. The battery might be charged to 4.20V/cell and then discharged by the device. The stress level on the battery is high because the cycles occur at the high-voltage threshold, often also at elevated temperature.

A portable device should be turned off during charge. This allows the battery to reach the set voltage threshold and current saturation point unhindered. A parasitic load confuses the charger by depressing the battery voltage and preventing the current in the saturation stage to drop low enough by drawing a leakage current. A battery may be fully charged, but the prevailing conditions will prompt a continued charge, causing stress.
"

Nov 8, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #25,410 of 42,765
Now what? I power up my Mojo keeping - and + vol buttons pressed (LO mode) and the device starts in pale-violet mode instead of pale blue.
Even worst once shut down it keeps pale violet volume level.
Hints? TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back