Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 6, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #25,246 of 42,765
I've had Mojo for a month. I'm blown away. Just sounds incredible with seemingly everything (lossless Redbook/compressed/high-res, you name it)! Loving it with Shure SE846 (my end-game IEMs, fed through iPhone 7+ & CCK, Onkyo player mostly). I'm looking to add full-sized cans to the mix. Shures' isolation and lack of leakage is important at work, but at home not as necessary and I would love a comfortable option with wider soundstage.

Now, I see Massdrop is doing a special version of the Senn. HD650 ($200!) AND AQ Nighthawks are quite discounted from what they were just a few weeks ago (~$350). Between these two, which would you buy and why? [Edit]: Particularly for synergy with Mojo.

For completeness: I also own HD580 which, while good, are mid-forward, a bit nasal and have some treble glare/sibilance to my ear (not as nice as HD600 I auditioned about 1 year ago). Previously had Grado SR225, great immediacy/impact/slam but also a bit too much high end for me. Great for rock though.

Listening is rock, electronica/beats, jazz and some classical. Thoughts?

Nov 6, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #25,248 of 42,765
Can it make my phone's audio as good as a dap?

With these kind of questions you are likely to get multiple varying responses depending on who is giving you the answer. Measured performance of the Mojo is up there with some of the best DAC/amps available. I love the sound of the Mojo over any DAP I've heard. Others prefer the tonality of some DAPs. Others listen with their wallet. You really should read more on the subject. A good place to start for the Mojo is the third post of this thread, and the reviews I pointed you to earlier.

As a side note, I see you are asking an unusually large volume of similar questions all over Head Fi. A little advice.... read reviews, get familiar with the capabilities of the gear, put some effort in. Then ask more focused questions that will give you more productive answers. In the end though there is no substitute for listening for yourself. Sorry for your wallet.

Nov 6, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #25,250 of 42,765
Not speculation, sorry this is way off topic.  Die shrinks are well documented for 3 decades plus.  When any architecture is moved to a smaller die there is always energy improvements.  You can move any same chip design to any die shrink and see less power consumption which also has less heat.  Moving to smaller die doesn't increase performance clock for clock if architecture is same it should perform the same.  However many architecture take in heat considerations and don't need to ramp down clock speeds as often so they may appear to perform faster.  But if you where running both at 100% and max clocks were the same they would perform the same with one using more power.  Also when moving a architecture to a smaller die many companies will increase the max clocks because there is more wiggle room in the heat and power department, so you rarely see a die shrink without at least clock speed change.  But most die shrinks come with completely new architecture so you don't think or hear about it often.  But there is plenty of architectures through out the years that have received die shrinks only.

There is the claim on the Artix-7 product intro webpage that 28nm process gives up to 50% power savings over 45nm process. https://www.xilinx.com/products/silicon-devices/fpga/artix-7.html

This is for a specific design change. I'm wondering how one estimates power savings as a function of percentage reduction in transistor size in general terms.

Die shrinks of the same architecture is not a design change. The architecture is the design. Every die shrink would yield different percentage based on how much lower you go. Or depending on where you start. Intel tick tock cycle would give you a good example of what to expect power wise on a die shrink, ticks are the die shrinks. Just make sure you comparing clock for clock.

Nov 6, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #25,251 of 42,765
My Lavricables Lightning to micro-USB cable stopped working on my Chord Mojo when I upgraded to iOS 10.1.1 on my iPhone 6 Plus. I'm kinda disappointed as it was working perfectly on iOS 9.x.

The Mojo is fine. With iOS 10.1.1, I've confirmed it works fine with an official Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter plus a generic USB-A to micro-USB cable.

(I've tried rebooting the iPhone and the Mojo many times to no avail. Even when the power button on the Mojo displays in red, the Mojo is not recognized by the iPhone 6 Plus. Using the Apple cable works.)

I've sent Lavricables a Facebook message/post. Any ideas? Thanks!

Sandiway

Nov 6, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #25,252 of 42,765

X3ii is one of the best transports for the Mojo in the price range IMO. The UI as well as the co-ax connection to Mojo is reliable and stable. 

hi,

I'm coming back to this pairing that I'm actually using too and that is commonly described as stable; 
Mine is sadly not. The connection is very unstable. music is interrupted. Particularly with HD tracks. I sometimes have very loud clicks and plops. 
I use a Penon Audio cable.
The bad connection is, I think, in the fiio side. 
What cable are you using ? 

but it looks good ...

Nov 6, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #25,253 of 42,765
I was just listening to the new Leonard Cohen album.
Maybe it helps that there is something going on in my life that he speaks about but it was as if he was inside my head talking to me directly.
The Mojo, it would appear, can do this.

Nov 6, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #25,254 of 42,765
Anyone tried this with smartphone? This is my s6, a year with mojo but this is my first trial with my s6. And it is BLUE?

Idk but to me, the sound quality is very GOOD AND DETAILS more than i connect to my desktop. Only spotify.

Nov 6, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #25,255 of 42,765
More like its opennes is HUGE! Placebo?

Nov 6, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #25,256 of 42,765
Im sure this is not a placebo. My TH600 mids becomes another level. Is it because the hardware inside the S6 affect the performance of Mojo in a good way? (i did connect using usb, i believe there is no affect with DAC) I tried with my Ipad, the sound is not as good as this I promise.

This S6 connects with Mojo makes the highs of TH600 becomes smoother and mids is more forward meanwhile the low end bass slams. What is this?

Nov 6, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #25,257 of 42,765
Im sure this is not a placebo. My TH600 mids becomes another level. Is it because the hardware inside the S6 affect the performance of Mojo in a good way? (i did connect using usb, i believe there is no affect with DAC) I tried with my Ipad, the sound is not as good as this I promise.

This S6 connects with Mojo makes the highs of TH600 becomes smoother and mids is more forward meanwhile the low end bass slams. What is this?
In my experience different phones with Mojo will give different over all sound.

Nov 6, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #25,258 of 42,765
In my experience different phones with Mojo will give different over all sound.

So what do you mean now is Ive just found a perfect for Mojo? It's a year... how to have this sound if i connect to desktop. I fall in love with this sound but it is not with my desktop. Urghhh

Nov 6, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #25,259 of 42,765
So what do you mean now is Ive just found a perfect for Mojo? It's a year... how to have this sound if i connect to desktop. I fall in love with this sound but it is not with my desktop. Urghhh
well enjoy it at home and outside.

Nov 6, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #25,260 of 42,765
Die shrinks of the same architecture is not a design change. The architecture is the design. Every die shrink would yield different percentage based on how much lower you go. Or depending on where you start. Intel tick tock cycle would give you a good example of what to expect power wise on a die shrink, ticks are the die shrinks. Just make sure you comparing clock for clock.

Your interpretation differs from that of INCOSE.

Architecture is not the same as design. http://sebokwiki.org/wiki/Architecture_(glossary)

You should continue this discussion with @GRUMPYOLDGUY   elsewhere, to avoid this thread getting blocked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back