Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 13, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #21,243 of 42,765
I got my Chord Mojo and connected it to my iMac playing Apple Music (Mastered for iTunes tracks) via USB connection driving the HD650 headphones. I used the Apple Midi software which showed 768,000 kHz as an incredible resolution.

Wow, it is like the first time I am hearing the Music and also first time I have really heard these Headphones - totally amazing - no exaggeration.

However there is an issue as when i connect the Mojo to the (digital optical output) on my TV - the Mojo power button colour indicates it is only 44,000 kHz (red power button colour). I then connected it to my Apple Mac Computer to the (digital optical out) just to test the Frequency and it only went upto 96,000 kHz (green power button colour).

Please can someone advise what I should do to increase the bit rate for Optical Out via my TV.

ON THE SPECIFICATION 192,000 kHz is supported for DIGITAL OPTICAL OUT.

Aug 13, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #21,244 of 42,765
However there is an issue as when i connect the Mojo to the (digital optical output) on my TV - the Mojo power button colour indicates it is only 44,000 kHz (red power button colour). I then connected it to my Apple Mac Computer to the (digital optical out) just to test the Frequency and it only went upto 96,000 kHz (green power button colour).

Please can someone advise what I should do to increase the bit rate for Optical Out via my TV.

One possibility is that you may have an optical cable with relatively poor transmission efficiency, and thus unable to attain 24/192 transmission.

Another possibility is that you may not have full pushed-in the connectors at each end of the cable. They should make a 'click' noise.

Incidentally, Rob Watts does not recommend using upsampling before feeding the signal to Mojo. Post #3 explains why this is, in the section with Rob's interesting posts (near the top of post #3)

Aug 13, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #21,245 of 42,765

One possibility is that you may have an optical cable with relatively poor transmission efficiency, and thus unable to attain 24/192 transmission.

Another possibility is that you may not have full pushed-in the connectors at each end of the cable. They should make a 'click' noise.

Incidentally, Rob Watts does not recommend using upsampling before feeding the signal to Mojo. Post #3 explains why this is, in the section with Rob's interesting posts (near the top of post #3)

Thank you Mython.

I read that part of Rob's article after you highlighted it and thank you. By up sampling do you mean increased the kHz to greater than what the source audio is? I listen to Apple Music which is 256kbps does that mean I should choose a kHz matching it - sorry but i am a bit lost here. Please help.

Aug 13, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #21,246 of 42,765

Have you checked that Android is not upsampling?

Are you using UAPP on Android?

i used neutron on both and the difference is very noticeable

i prefer android with neutron by a big margin than ios with neutron 

as with android and neutron the soundstage to me is wider and the sound is even fuller of course u have to enable direct usb driver in the audio hardware setting in neutron

the difference is big at least to me

Aug 13, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #21,247 of 42,765
By up sampling do you mean increased the kHz to greater than what the source audio is? I listen to Apple Music which is 256kbps does that mean I should choose a kHz matching it - sorry but i am a bit lost here. Please help.

Sorry - I answered your question, and then my remark about upsampling was aimed at Sound Eq's question - I should have formatted my reply to make it more apparent that I was speaking to each of you, in turn.

But since you asked, when I said 'upsample', I meant, as an example, buying a 16 bit 44.1khz (44,100 samples per second) file and allowing it to be upsampled to, something like 24 bit 192khz, on-the-fly, before it is sent across the digital output of your transport device, to Mojos digital input.

Although it is a very easy mistake to make, you should not confuse the bitRATE of your compressed files with the bit-DEPTH or SAMPLE-rate of the digital signal.

An iTunes file at 256kbps (lossily compressed with .aac codec) will more than likely be a 16 bit 44.1khz file, compressed with the lossy codec, at a bitRATE of 256 kilobits per second. When your digital transport (I mean your computer or your DAP or your smartphone) reads that music file, it will decompress the .aac compression so that a PCM file is created (this is done invisibly, on-the-fly). In my present example, that would mean that within TEMPORARY buffers, the file has remained in 16 bit 44.1khz (samples per second) resolution, but has been freed of the .aac compression codec, and will be sent as an uncompressed 16/44.1khz PCM file, across the digital connection, to Mojo.

You don't have to do anything about this. All you ever need to do is make sure (once) that your transport device is not sticking it's nose in and secretly changing the sample frequency and bit depth (in my example, Android stupidly upsamples EVERY audio track to 24/192khz, regardless of it's original resolution, so a program called UAPP is necessary, to bypass this Android anomally).

On any digital transport, there should be an option to set it to leave every file alone, in it's native sampling frequency and native bit-depth. Once that setting has been correctly set one time, it should never need to be changed again.

There is a partly-related post, here: www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/16500#post_12525696

Have you checked that Android is not upsampling?

Are you using UAPP on Android?

i used neutron on both and the difference is very noticeable

i prefer android with neutron by a big margin than ios with neutron 

as with android and neutron the soundstage to me is wider and the sound is even fuller of course u have to enable direct usb driver in the audio hardware setting in neutron

the difference is big at least to me

If you are using Neutron, then, as far as I'm aware, you are unable to bypass the automatic upsampling to 24/192 that the Android OS stupidly does, without asking.

Therefore, it is to be expected that you may hear a difference in the sound, compared to Neutron feeding Mojo from iOS, since, AFAIK, iOS does not automatically upsample everything to 24/192, like Android does.

Android upsampling files to 24/192 is not a good thing, and, as I earlier remarked, is not recommended by Rob Watts, and some of the reasons are described in his 'interesting posts' section, near the top of post #3.

Some people have also played around with deliberately invoking upsampling-to-DSD, on-the-fly, and said it sounds good, to their ears (and that's their prerogative), but Rob designed Mojo and understands the complex digital theory & mathematics behind such matters - here is one of his responses:

Mind blown!......blown...what are we looking at ? Note 4 to Mojo, and converted 16/44.1 and 24/96 to DSD and feeding Mojo

Used stock mojo cable with OTG adapter . Can be found here on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015XA3W0G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

The software (app) used was the Onkyo HF Player paid version, that can digital out high-red and or up convert to DSD feeding mojo

Converting the original file into DSD or up-sampling is a very bad idea. The rule of thumb is to always maintain the original data as Mojo's processing power is way more complex and capable than any PC or mobile device.

DSD as a format has major problems with it; in particular it has two major and serious flaws:

1. Timing. The noise shapers used with DSD have severe timing errors. You can see this easily using Verilog simulations. If you use a step change transient (op is zero, then goes high) with a large signal, then do the same with a small signal, then you get major differences in the analogue output - the large signal has no delay, the small signal has a much larger delay. This is simply due to the noise shaper requiring time for the internal integrators to respond to the error. This amplitude related timing error is of the order of micro seconds and is very audible. Whenever there is a timing inaccuracy, the brain has problems making sense of the sound, and perceives the timing error has a softness to the transient; in short timing errors screw up the ability to hear the starting and stopping of notes.

2. Small signal accuracy. Noise shapers have problems with very small signals in that the 64 times 1 bit output (DSD 64) does not have enough innate resolution to accurately resolve small signals. What happens when small signals are not properly reproduced? You get a big degradation in the ability to perceive depth information, and this makes the sound flat with no layering of instruments in space. Now there is no limit to how accurate the noise shaper needs to be; with the noise shaper that is with Mojo I have 1000 times more small signal resolution than conventional DAC's - and against DSD 64 its 10,000 times more resolving power. This is why some many users have reported that Mojo has so much better space and sounds more 3D with better layering - and its mostly down to the resolving power of the pulse array noise shaper. This problem of depth perception is unlimited in the sense that to perfectly reproduce depth you need no limit to the resolving power of the noise shaper. 

So if you take a PCM signal and convert it to DSD you hear two problems - a softness to the sound, as you can no longer perceive the starting and stopping of notes; and a very flat sound-stage with no layering as the small signals are not reproduced accurately enough, so the brain can't use the very small signals that are used to give depth perception.

The second issue in using the transport to up-sample (44.1 to 176.4 say) is that the up-samplers in a PC or mobile device are very crude, with very limited processing power and poor algorithms. This results in timing problems, and like with DSD you can't hear the starting and stopping of notes correctly. These timing problems also screw up the perception of timbre (how bright or dark instruments sound), the pitch reproduction of bass (starting transients of bass lets you follow the bass tune), and of course stereo imagery (left right placement is handled by the brain using timing differences from the ears). Now Mojo has a very advanced algorithm (WTA) that is designed to maximise timing reconstruction (the missing timing information from one sample to the next) and huge processing power to more accurately calculate what the original analogue values are from one sample to the next. Its got 500 times more processing power than normal, and this allows much more accurate reconstruction of the original analogue signal.

So the long and the short is don't let the source mess with the signal (except perhaps with a good EQ program) and let Mojo deal with the original data, as Mojo is way more capable.

Rob

Also relevant:

It is always better to give Mojo bit perfect files and let Mojo do the work, as the processing within Mojo is much more complex and sophisticated than a mobile or PC.

So when you have an app that has a volume control, and no bit perfect setting, then set it to full volume on the app on the assumption that this will keep the data closer to the original file.

The volume control function on Mojo is much more sophisticated than the PC as I employ noise shaping and I do the function at a very high internal sample rate. Hopefully using the volume set to max on the app will mean the volume coefficient is 1.0000000... so it will return the original data.

Rob 

Aug 13, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #21,248 of 42,765
Ordered from TTVJ thank all!

Aug 13, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #21,249 of 42,765
I'm so sneaky, I ordered my Mojo from Amazon UK, and only paid $473 shipped.

You overpaid
wink.gif
 It only cost me $445 on Amazon UK, using a "no foreign transaction fee" credit card with a lower exchange rate that Amazon.

Aug 13, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #21,250 of 42,765
You overpaid :wink:  It only cost me $445 on Amazon UK, using a "no foreign transaction fee" credit card with a lower exchange rate that Amazon.

I also used a no foreign transaction fee CC, but you got me on the forex... Lol

The Mojo is a pretty awesome little box for travel.

Aug 13, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #21,251 of 42,765
  You purchased it from the UK and shipped it to the US?

Yes, through Amazon UK. it was 399 pounds then the VAT was removed once it was time to checkout. It was delivered within a week using Amazon's global shipping.

Aug 13, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #21,252 of 42,765
Yes, through Amazon UK. it was 399 pounds then the VAT was removed once it was time to checkout. It was delivered within a week using Amazon's global shipping.

I suppose the only risk to this is needing to return the unit for some reason? I had to return a pair of Earphones to Hong Kong a few days ago and it was a bit of a pain (I live in Los Angeles).

Aug 13, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #21,253 of 42,765
Amazon was the seller, they're usually very easy to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back