Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 8, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #19,696 of 42,765
Mojo makes my $25 Sony XBA-1 sound like a $100 IEM. Never thought that the BA driver inside had nice amount of bass and extended treble with the Mojo. Sony XBA-1 definitely sounds anemic with the iPhone 6s ( I suspect it's due to impedance mismatch), but with ultra low output impedance from Mojo, the XBA-1 sounds fantastic!

Jul 8, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #19,697 of 42,765
well just broke in my new mojo with some Geddy Lee slappin' that bass, and matt cameron on drums, Ben mink on guitar and strings
...enjoy the rockin' title track 'my favourite headache', from his solo album of 2000.

Jul 8, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #19,699 of 42,765
Just reading this I will get the same AQ cable to try. I have gotten 3 top line cables from 3 different companies for my Nighthawk and the PM2. I can't tell you just after 1 week I am SOLD on aftermarket cables. Most thankful for your info.

Jul 9, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #19,701 of 42,765
Is there any info on this upcoming SD-module? Mojo seems more and more enticing each day.

Jul 9, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #19,702 of 42,765

Yeah thank you for trying. I think this might be the only way, and probably all anyone will say.

I had been thinking of running my USB line from PC through a hub, then on to Mojo. Then I can disconnect easy. My PC is on the floor you see so it's not a matter of easily pulling out the USB cable. However I am thinking about risk if I run through two cables and hub from PC to Mojo. Am I going to pick up errors?

I suppose I can try the hub idea. I have a USB 1.0 hub set up and I will try it. Easily done. ...Only reason I did not do before posting this was I was thinking it won't work. Or I tried it already and it did not work. I know the Meridian Explorer does not work over a USB 1.0 hub; it needs USB 2.0. 

Even putting aside SQ issues, not sure at all that the hub will work. More experienced headfiers may answer that point more properly.
Since you `only` want to have USB unplug/plug reachability why not considering a simple USB cable extender ?
Keep the whole thing (End to End) as short as possible let`s say around 1m and you should not face SQ issues.
Rgds

Jul 9, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #19,703 of 42,765

Indeed at office and in desktop usage Yes, I am using this adaptor.
Barely in trains or planes.
I admit that I am not 100% quiet when using it due to snapping risks.
I need to customize a cardboard box to make it safer.
That is the reason why I found your solution quite practical regarding portability as well as Mojo's output connector protection.
On the other hand, experimenting SQ degradation with some adapters & reading some ETHER C's headfiers posts having Bass issues with adapters or jumper I decided to keep it like for time being.
Cheers
beerchug.gif

Are you using it portably? I'd be super scared about snapping the adapter

Under speakers standmount not so unsafe anyway...
wink_face.gif

Cheers
beerchug.gif

Jul 9, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #19,704 of 42,765

Loving my Mojo with the Luxury & Precision L3 DAP combo. Totally floored by how great the SQ is out of my VE Zen 2.0 and Oriolus V2 IEMs. The Zen 2.0 has details and accuracy from the power of the Mojo that I've been missing due to the high impedance. My iPhone 6 just couldn't benefit from them. The Oriolus V2 requires less power but the Mojo adds nice punch and crispness to their slightly warm signature. These combos have to be heard. In a word...awesome. Much thanks to @EagleWings for recommending this digital jumper from Dyson Audio: http://www.ebay.com/itm/351734148656?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT. It seems that the L&P L3 has a different coaxial jack from the FiiO DAPs.

Here is the TRRS config on Fiio X3ii/X5ii/X7:

T – Left (Analog Out, Does Not Apply to Coax)
R – Right (Analog Out, Does Not Apply to Coax)
R – Ground
S – Coax Signal

And here it is for L3. The pins for Ground and Coax Signal seem to be reversed:

T – Left (Analog Out, Does Not Apply to Coax)
R – Right (Analog Out, Does Not Apply to Coax)
R – Coax Signal
S – Ground

Dyson Audio was nice enough to make the cable to my specs with the connectors I wanted and the correct pin outs. Don't know if the cable adds anything to the SQ of the combo but it certainly doesn't take anything away and it appears well made and of high quality. I am one happy camper! 
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #19,705 of 42,765

Even putting aside SQ issues, not sure at all that the hub will work. More experienced headfiers may answer that point more properly.
Since you `only` want to have USB unplug/plug reachability why not considering a simple USB cable extender ?
Keep the whole thing (End to End) as short as possible let`s say around 1m and you should not face SQ issues.
Rgds

Yep I tried hub, but I get no sound. I get a USB device not recognised message too. Though I think that might be because my hub is USB 1.0. I am think HD-audio devices need the bandwidth of USB 2.0.

An extension cable is my next try. I am sure it will work. Again I do worry about introducing errors across connections. Plus it would negate the effect of buying a quality shielded digital cable, which I keep thinking of doing.

I really don't see that there could be any other way to make manual input selection.

Jul 9, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #19,706 of 42,765

Please I have to ask, did you hear an audio upgrade with quality shielded digital cabling? I have the Mojo but am still using basic £2 cabling, and still want to hear others expereince with quality cables.

Generally to everyone please:

Also I suffer quiet clicks. I noted it seemed to depend on the music source too. Like Katie Melua - call off the Search was most likey to do it more. I have read the whole thread, and used a search function on it. Plus read post 3. I still have no difinitive answer to solving clicks. However there was a post that some folks got clicks with 192KHz music and it was solved by quality shielded cabling. It's possiby interference as all my cabling is right next to a loudspeaker on my desktop.

Short answer: yes. My findings are in line with Rob's when it comes to optical vs USB: after long term listening, I can say that optical made the sound very slightly darker and more musical. I did not A/B test it thoroughly though, so my answer is very subjective. But keep in mind that optical has its certain advantages in terms of RF interference and in-bound noise. So my experience is no surprise.

Using optical scientifically makes sense, musically made sense, so I never looked back.

I did not suffer any clicks with my optical cable.

As mentioned in my previous post, I got the performance optical cable from QED, which is way cheaper than the QED Reference cable I was using initially, and I must say I found absolutely no difference between two cables. That is a good cost saving item in my opinion.

I think you'll be OK as long as you use a proper optical cable.

Cheers.

Jul 9, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #19,707 of 42,765
Hi everybody. Have just ordered an mojo and an pioneer xdp 100r. Ive seen that there is an protection case for the mojo in rubber i think.is it something you guys recommend using? Or are the mojo good enough itself in term of materials? Its expensive,so dont want to drop it on the floor or getting scratches :/

Jul 9, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #19,708 of 42,765
Hi everybody. Have just ordered an mojo and an pioneer xdp 100r. Ive seen that there is an protection case for the mojo in rubber i think.is it something you guys recommend using? Or are the mojo good enough itself in term of materials? Its expensive,so dont want to drop it on the floor or getting scratches :/

Mojo is black-anodised aluminium, which I am sure you are familiar with - so, yes, it will get tiny micro-scratches, over time, and buying a case for it will undoubtedly protect it from those, but, in terms of overall ruggedness, the case is very strong, just like Hugos case:

Jul 9, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #19,709 of 42,765

Mojo is black-anodised aluminium, which I am sure you are familiar with - so, yes, it will get tiny micro-scratches, over time, and buying a case for it will undoubtedly protect it from those, but, in terms of overall ruggedness, the case is very strong, just like Hugos case:

Good to know it can withstand my russian army tank since I drive one everyday to work with my Mojo

Jul 9, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #19,710 of 42,765

Good to know it can withstand my russian army tank since I drive one everyday to work with my Mojo

That's an extraordinary coincidence, since I drive a Russian army tank to work, too (I like to drive something inconspicuous, as I hate drawing attention to myself)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back