Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 8, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #19,636 of 42,765
  Anyone tried the top AK players (AK240 or above, particularly if any one has the AK380Cu that's even better) with the Mojo? 

Will the addition of Mojo improve on the already very good sound quality, or deteriorates it?

Is there any suggestion for a high end, but short, optical cable? 

Cheers,
Louis 

I've had occasion to compare Mojo to all of the current AK players (finally including the AK380Cu) ... and whether it's fed from the AK player or whether it's fed from an iPhone or something else, I found that the Mojo is significantly better than the raw output of the AK units.  I can't think of a sonic attribute that the AK players beat it on, in fact.

This is particularly true with harder to drive headphones (where I find the Mojo outdoes the 380 + Amp as well) and, oddly enough, with very low-impedance/high-sensitivity IEMs.

While I'd like an AK380 for the interface and capacity (and I'd prefer a transport only version closer to the price of the AK300, but still with the same, or more, capacity) I just can't get my head around paying that much for something that, in comparison to the mere $600 of the Mojo, is so soundly outclassed.

I went with Sys Concepts for an optical cable between my AK120 and the Mojo and have been very pleased with it (I actually have two, one each of the form-fit cables for front-to-back and back-to-back stacking).

Jul 8, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #19,637 of 42,765
Anyone tried the top AK players (AK240 or above, particularly if any one has the AK380Cu that's even better) with the Mojo? 

Will the addition of Mojo improve on the already very good sound quality, or deteriorates it?

Is there any suggestion for a high end, but short, optical cable? 

Cheers,
Louis 

Mojo definitely improves the AK240 output IMO/E. You might say..... Sublime, simply sublime. :wink_face:

Sysconcept is the way to go and really not that expensive.

Jul 8, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #19,638 of 42,765
Mojo definitely improves the AK240 output IMO/E. You might say..... Sublime, simply sublime.
wink_face.gif

Sysconcept is the way to go and really not that expensive.

Great stuff there. You're the best. The best of the best of the best.

Jul 8, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #19,640 of 42,765
Jul 8, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #19,641 of 42,765

I've had occasion to compare Mojo to all of the current AK players (finally including the AK380Cu) ... and whether it's fed from the AK player or whether it's fed from an iPhone or something else, I found that the Mojo is significantly better than the raw output of the AK units.  I can't think of a sonic attribute that the AK players beat it on, in fact.

This is particularly true with harder to drive headphones (where I find the Mojo outdoes the 380 + Amp as well) and, oddly enough, with very low-impedance/high-sensitivity IEMs.

While I'd like an AK380 for the interface and capacity (and I'd prefer a transport only version closer to the price of the AK300, but still with the same, or more, capacity) I just can't get my head around paying that much for something that, in comparison to the mere $600 of the Mojo, is so soundly outclassed.

I went with Sys Concepts for an optical cable between my AK120 and the Mojo and have been very pleased with it (I actually have two, one each of the form-fit cables for front-to-back and back-to-back stacking).

You are the man.  Does it make any difference to you connecting the Mojo from different AK players? For example does playing AK380Cu through Mojo sound better than using AK240 as a transport?

Jul 8, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #19,644 of 42,765

You are the man.  Does it make any difference to you connecting the Mojo from different AK players? For example does playing AK380Cu through Mojo sound better than using AK240 as a transport?

Not that I could discern ... sound was identical regardless of the AK player used.

To be fair, I didn't do all of the comparisons back-to-back (i.e. I didn't have all the AK units in a line at once), but the AK380 didn't sound better as a source into the Mojo than even my AK120 (a comparison I did do directly).  And in every case the Mojo sounded better than whatever AK player was feeding it.

Jul 8, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #19,646 of 42,765
Not that I could discern ... sound was identical regardless of the AK player used.

To be fair, I didn't do all of the comparisons back-to-back (i.e. I didn't have all the AK units in a line at once), but the AK380 didn't sound better as a source into the Mojo than even my AK120 (a comparison I did do directly).  And in every case the Mojo sounded better than whatever AK player was feeding it.

Funny, I have the AK100 mk2 and I was very stunned that it sounded dryer and much more flat feeding the Mojo. I simply swapped it in to the stack because the AK240 battery died and when I resumed the track I was very surprised at the result. I initially just stacked the AK240 for the interface, not SQ, but now I really have a hard time using the AK100 mk2 in direct comparison.

Jul 8, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #19,647 of 42,765
Funny, I have the AK100 mk2 and I was very stunned that it sounded dryer and much more flat feeding the Mojo. I simply swapped it in to the stack because the AK240 battery died and when I resumed the track I was very surprised at the result. I initially just stacked the AK240 for the interface, not SQ, but now I really have a hard time using the AK100 mk2 in direct comparison.

Have you compared the AK380/AK380Cu against AK240, each feeding the Mojo?

Jul 8, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #19,649 of 42,765

Users who are viewing this thread

Back