Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 21, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #17,926 of 42,782
  maybe I have to go backwards with the firmware from 1.6 to 1.44 for this?

Nope you need the one I listed.  It has everything 1.6 has plus some features.  Here's a link to the post where you can get it.  Works great.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/743704/the-fiio-x3-2nd-gen-ex-x3k-x3ii-thread-192k-24b-cs4398-native-dsd-usb-dac-with-lo-and-inline-remote/7485#post_12447212

May 21, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #17,927 of 42,782
Okay, I've had the Mojo for a few days now and am fully immersed in my 
music via my Fiio X3 2nd gen via moon-audio mini coax to the mojo and listening 
right now on my SE846.  Very pleased with this setup but a bit disappointed that
I'm not getting the sample rate out of the fiio's coax that I though I would.  DSD audio out of fiio
is only giving me a sample rate of 88khz as identified by the mojo color ball.

The sound is lush, full and immersive.

Anyone know a transport that would allow me to get more sample rate to the mojo and why is 
it restricted out of the Fiio to 88khz?

Thanks in advance.

I am not dissappointed in the Mojo....USB out of my MAC via Jriver....bitperfect!!! and I do get the DSD white ball on the mojo there.

Mojo is something special!

As mentioned the X3ii is likely the same with later firmware but the X5ii has an option to select DSD to PCM (D2P) or DSD over PCM (DoP) which will pass along DSD to the Mojo. It works to illuminate the white light but I can tell you I'm hard pressed to tell any audible difference at all. I use the Dyson audio cable for coaxial from the X5ii.

X5ii to Mojo with coaxial DoP on:

X5ii to Mojo with coaxial D2P on:

I'm using my custom theme on the X5ii but your options would likely be the same.

May 21, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #17,928 of 42,782
As mentioned the X3ii is likely the same with later firmware but the X5ii has an option to select DSD to PCM (D2P) or DSD over PCM (DoP) which will pass along DSD to the Mojo. It works to illuminate the white light but I can tell you I'm hard pressed to tell any audible difference at all. I use the Dyson audio cable for coaxial from the X5ii.

X5ii to Mojo with coaxial DoP on:

X5ii to Mojo with coaxial D2P on:

I'm using my custom theme on the X5ii but your options would likely be the same.

I use the same coax with my X3II, works great.

May 21, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #17,929 of 42,782
Thanks folks...updating(twice)....2nd time to the 1.45beta...and we have the DSD output to the Mojo!

Head-fi ROCKS!

Seeing is believing, right!

beerchug.gif

May 22, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #17,931 of 42,782
I previously hadn't noticed how nicely the X5ii matches Mojo, size-wise. Nice!

Me neither, until curiosity got the best of me and I ordered a 'proper' coaxial cable. It's a nice stack! The new black X5ii would look stunning with the Mojo and the overhang actually functions to help protect the headphone jack (somewhat). I really like this pairing. Plus, the X5ii battery lasts three Mojo charges using coaxial output so I don't have to manage two devices' batteries as much compared to the AK240's paltry 6hr battery life on average.

The pics added by Drumonron are with the X3ii, a slightly smaller player than the X5ii.

May 22, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #17,933 of 42,782
If such a device were to exist it would have to fall in between the Hugo and HugoTT. But in all honesty if they could produce a more cost effective version of dave that would be great as well!

My post was purely speculative, even though I think many would love a Mojo TT.
Concerning DAVE I can understand you feel this way and I wish to be abled to afford DAVE or a DAVE light some day.
But I wouldn't say that cost efficiency or effectiveness is the right word. A project like DAVE with all the research involved is somewhat of a life achievement and it's understandable that you have to pay decent money for that.
Doesn't mean I don't hope for technology from DAVE to trickle down to more affordable products :)
BTW thanks for the pic, gave me a better feeling for the size.

Cheers

May 22, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #17,934 of 42,782
@knok56, it's surprising that not many have tried mojo in their stereo set up. I bet mojo can put to shame many dacs costing 10x of it's (or even more) price in stereo set up. since mojo has do much of resolution it can initially sound bright in stereo set up. after about an hour it reaches to its full potential.

May 22, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #17,935 of 42,782
@knok56, it's surprising that not many have tried mojo in their stereo set up. I bet mojo can put to shame many dacs costing 10x of it's (or even more) price in stereo set up. since mojo has do much of resolution it can initially sound bright in stereo set up. after about an hour it reaches to its full potential.

Mojo is amazing in my 2CH stereo setup. Love it!! Just don't use my 2CH setup much any more.

May 22, 2016 at 5:26 AM Post #17,936 of 42,782

The $100 Android phone might have a superior interface, but it's going to fall foul of Android's native up-sampling unless you're using something like UAPP to bypass that (an approach that comes with a variety of other issues and doesn't allow you to use things like Spotify without getting nobbled with ASRC either).  If quality is your primary goal, which I'd assume it is if you're bothering to carry a Mojo around in the first place, most people want to avoid that up-sampling.  Most DAPs make that easy ... unless, of course, they're based on Android and then it becomes implementation specific.

A DAP also offers the ability to run a high-quality, high-capacity (many DAPs have multiple slots which is a boon for those of us that don't want to browse by folder), playback solution that does not require we take a Mojo (or other external DAC) along if we are traveling light.

And then, yes, there can be differences in sound quality even when you're not saddled with forced up-sampling.  Depending on how you interface to the Mojo that can be a meaningful difference ... e.g. USB is not the best way to drive a Mojo and no phone I know of has either COAX or optical outputs.

So, no, a DAP isn't useless with a Mojo - even if ALL it got you was more on-board capacity.  But, as it stands, DAPs offer other benefits to phones as a source for Mojo or any other DAC.

If a phone and swapping cards works for you, then more power to you, but it's not even close to a palatable solution for me.

Maybe I'm misinformed, but I'm not clear on the value of pairing a DAP with the Mojo, if it's only going to be used as a transport. My understanding is that the transport will have no bearing on the quality of the signal that goes through the Mojo and out of your headphones, which is why I always recommend a good Android phone with a microSD slot capable of 200gb cards.

Am I incorrect in believing a DAP is useless with the Mojo, unless you love its amp section, which is traditionally the weakness of most DAPs, making this scenario highly doubtful?

I appreciate any input people have. I would just hate to see people buy $700 DAP to pair if a $100 Android phone will do the job, and with a superior interface.

Remember that the transport simply passes the signal to the Mojo, which is where the magic happens, so to speak.

I have a Seiun Pro X on order which will output ultra HD but I don't suppose I shall use it for that -:O) . The phone is the solution although my new one has me foxed for a moment ; it has lots of interference even with the screen turned off and I am endeavouring to find a solution as if I can I have found the best of both worlds , a phone and a high quality DAP in one.
As for the difference between connections - if anyone wishes to hear for themselves and make that decision I have taken recordings of usb and optical. I hear no difference. The cables I have are of similar quality - i.e as cheap as I can get.

May 22, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #17,938 of 42,782
  .... I ordered Mojo............ It's time to sell my liver! Any takers?

I will use Mojo mainly with Sony NW-X100 + ACS Encore Studio.

I will test it with HD800S, HD700, Philips L2, Musical Fidelity M100.

Don't sell it just yet
There are still cases and modules to come

L3000.gif

May 22, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #17,939 of 42,782
May 22, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #17,940 of 42,782

Users who are viewing this thread

Back