Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 22, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #17,956 of 42,765
Thanks! I'm excited to get it.

I'm not using Mojo w/ my portable (which is iPhone and/or iPod touch). I'm happy w/ my Sine + Cipher cable. That's because my portable usage is pretty much strictly when I'm walking the dogs. They're each 60 lbs and eager to greet anybody/anything we encounter, so the ultimate in convenience/portability is a must! (and happily Sine + CIpher sounds pretty great)

For at-home where I'll be using Mojo, it's via my Macbook Air. Right now I'm experimenting with Roon, but may try Audirvana+ and then decide.

May 22, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #17,957 of 42,765
Canali, the penonaudio cable is nothing but Apple CCK disassembled to extract the chip and re-constructed into a simple lightning to micro-usb cable. If you prefer a lean cable solution, this will work. But if you don't mind the bulk of the regular CCK cable + supplied micro-usb cable, all you need to spend is $30.

Regarding the Moon audio dragon USB cables, you can first buy the CCK cable separately and, if you are not happy with the micro-USB cable that comes with the Mojo, you can always purchase the moon audio's dragon USB cable separately. Just my 2 cents.

May 22, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #17,958 of 42,765
Thanks! I'm excited to get it.

I'm not using Mojo w/ my portable (which is iPhone and/or iPod touch). I'm happy w/ my Sine + Cipher cable. That's because my portable usage is pretty much strictly when I'm walking the dogs. They're each 60 lbs and eager to greet anybody/anything we encounter, so the ultimate in convenience/portability is a must! (and happily Sine + CIpher sounds pretty great)

For at-home where I'll be using Mojo, it's via my Macbook Air. Right now I'm experimenting with Roon, but may try Audirvana+ and then decide.

Cool. I need to look into some of the other options like Roon and etc. Vox just shows an exhaustive list of the tracks you add and it can be a pain when you are trying to find a certain track or work by albums or artists.

May 22, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #17,959 of 42,765
I believe I am going to get a Mojo to use at my nightstand and fed from my X3. Can the Mojo be plugged into an outlet all the time or will this eventually kill the battery?

Also, is there such a thing as a 3.5mm 5 or 6 foot coax cable.

May 22, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #17,962 of 42,765
Can anyone recommend a good usb cable for $100.00-$150.00 that has good synergy with Mojo? Thanks,

just get a usb spec compliant cable will do, you don't need an audioquest cable for usb

May 22, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #17,963 of 42,765
For all the people in the apple environment. Why don't you lossless convert your flacs into alac? It's limited to max 24/48 in the standard apple player but the benefit is that you can use iTunes and the standard apps with it with all their playlists, scrolling, searching and whatnot capabilities....

Cheers.

May 22, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #17,964 of 42,765
For all the people in the apple environment. Why don't you lossless convert your flacs into alac? It's limited to max 24/48 in the standard apple player but the benefit is that you can use iTunes and the standard apps with it with all their playlists, scrolling, searching and whatnot capabilities....

Cheers.

i was told that there some app to do this too...iflac tunes (??) or some app you can purchase.
just can't remember the name of it...

May 22, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #17,965 of 42,765

Cheers.

I did this but in the end got sick of maintaining 2 libraries on my PC. Additionally I had issues when using Apple music and it deleting my music and using cloud based alternatives and all sorts of other glitches.

In the end I used a 3rd party app for listening to flac and apple music for casual / finding new music.

Found in the end it was easier to keep it separate

I however do see the merit in converting if you aren't lazy like me

May 22, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #17,966 of 42,765
I did this but in the end got sick of maintaining 2 libraries on my PC. Additionally I had issues when using Apple music and it deleting my music and using cloud based alternatives and all sorts of other glitches.

In the end I used a 3rd party app for listening to flac and apple music for casual / finding new music.

Found in the end it was easier to keep it separate

I however do see the merit in converting if you aren't lazy like me

Yeah, Apple Music subscription is nice...but it's also fouled some things up. It prevents me from putting ALAC files on my iPhone in the native Music player -- forcing my hand to get something like Onkyo HF Player.

What irony too -- my Apple device denying the Apple format, all because of an Apple subscription.

May 22, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #17,967 of 42,765
i was told that there some app to do this too...iflac tunes (??) or some app you can purchase.
just can't remember the name of it...

Yes there are a few. I personally like tunesify the best :wink:

Cheers.

May 22, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #17,968 of 42,765
I believe I am going to get a Mojo to use at my nightstand and fed from my X3. Can the Mojo be plugged into an outlet all the time or will this eventually kill the battery?

Also, is there such a thing as a 3.5mm 5 or 6 foot coax cable.

x3 depending on which gen i think, uses a trrs jack, so you might need a trrs to stereo coax, if the line out and coax out shares the same port,like x5ii but not x5

May 23, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #17,970 of 42,765
It's a gen 2. And yes it uses the same port for line out and coax. Could some one recommend a place to get a good quality cable?

The S/PDIF coax digital cable on the new generation Fiio (X3-II, X5-II, X7) are a 4-pin (TRRS) 3.5mm connector, so it would be hard to find a good third party one.

The pin out on the Fiio side TRRS, from the tip, is:
T = "Not Used"
R1 = "Not Used"
R2 = "Ground"
S = "S/PDIF Data"

So using a standard TS or TRS 3.5mm plug will effectively short out the S/PDIF signal to ground.
Also, since the S/PDIF data is carried on the S (sleeve), using a metal body 3.5mm connector can potentially short out the signal to the chassis (or if you hold onto it).
Anyhow it's a weird design made out of compromise.

The safest bet is to buy the official Fiio L21 digital cable and use an adapter on the Mojo end, or you can cut the RCA end and terminate it with 3.5mm 2-pin for Mojo.
http://fiio.net/en/products/50

I had to make my own coax S/PDIF cable because I couldn't find a good short one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back