Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 22, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #17,941 of 42,782
Quick question....I've been using Uapp via USB to the mojo but I'm reading that Poweramp alpha can now play hi-res....I've tried this using the mojo but it still seems to be letting the android control the sampling rate.....Anyone had any success with this via mojo?

May 22, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #17,942 of 42,782

@knok56, it's surprising that not many have tried mojo in their stereo set up. I bet mojo can put to shame many dacs costing 10x of it's (or even more) price in stereo set up. since mojo has do much of resolution it can initially sound bright in stereo set up. after about an hour it reaches to its full potential.

Mojo is amazing in my 2CH stereo setup. Love it!! Just don't use my 2CH setup much any more.

Agreed.  I keep a cable plugged into the back of my Parasound to plug the mojo in to.   Does a outstanding job.

May 22, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #17,943 of 42,782

Yes, sorry, the DAVE mentioned in the Nagra thread. Curious though as I've also read around the web about El Capitan causing issues with other DACs as well. It's a wider issue than just your Mojo unit. I'm simply not a big fan of DSD so I really can't help much further than that.
redface.gif

I greatly appreciate the pointer all the same!

It is curious that it's two Chord units ... wonder how similar the interface code is for those.

DoP is a hack at best, so it doesn't surprise me that it is a bit iffy.

All this started as I wanted to take a more serious look at DSD before deciding what DAC to buy for my 2nd "main" headphone system (i.e. another high-end one).  To date I've not heard anything that suggests it's anything but "different" to PCM (when I can tell a difference at all).  For sure, I've not heard everything.  Even comparing plain old Redbook to quad-rate DSD is not moving the needle in DSD's favor so far.  Not exactly the experience I expected given all the hype.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766517/chord-electronics-dave/3075#post_12598578

May 22, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #17,944 of 42,782
Mython I noticed the whirling sound when charging on some of my chargers that were older and weaker. With my rapid chargers, it's dead silent. Not sure if this is a coincidence. Just thought I'd share my observations.

I've been sick lately, so I haven't searched yet. I'm hoping the chord case is out. Fingers crossed!

May 22, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #17,945 of 42,782
osx did not need driver but it can not stream dsd in native form without a dedicated asio driver, that's what I could understand from that post. also asio driver helps in pulling the data by the dac hence glitches are avoided as it checks the data simultaneously. I wonder Windows with foobar is free and best solution for all such dsd DACs ?

May 22, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #17,946 of 42,782
so the key is the asio driver which handles all the streaming as per the device's preferences. I never used other way than asio not even wasapi because these chord asio drivers are such a good piece of software. I remember using arcam irdac asio driver which was not able to bypass the windows volume but chord asio completely bypasses the window sound mixer. only the playing software's own volume control works which you can set to 100%. in foobar if you stream dsd even foobar's own volume control does not work because foobar does not do any processing with dsd. in j river you can control the volume of dsd which indicates may be j river does something with dsd .

May 22, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #17,947 of 42,782
currently trying to step things up from my nano and lg nexus 5 for portable audio.

might be a new mojo customer.
i'm about to buy an ipod touch 6 gen, 32gb (as i listen to mostly streaming, have 450 itunes
just getting into better flac download etc.)
 and am considering adding either a dragonfly red or the chord mojo to it
(leaning towards the mojo however)

anyway my question:
i know many mojo users prefer other more $$$ devices with the mojo,
but does it really matter if it's an ipod touch or a more $$$ AK device for instance?
.. if i understand correctly you're only transferring the files from whatever device thru to the dac/amp of the mojo
which then uses it's dac/amp and thus takes over the SQ anyway, right?

i have to admit: I just love the look/feel of the venerable ipod touch due to its lightweight,
slim, unobtrusive profile and wonderfully easy to use UI.
(haven't had one before.) 

May 22, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #17,949 of 42,782
  question folks...might be a new mojo customer.
i'm about to buy an ipod touch 6 gen, 32gb (as i listen to mostly streaming, have 450 itunes
just getting into better flac download etc...i'm in canada and some download sites
not available to us).  and am considering adding either a dragonfly red or the chord mojo to it
(leaning towards the mojo however)

anyway my question: i know many mojo users prefer other more $$$ devices with the mojo,
but does it really matter if one is using an ipod touch (6 gen) with it...does it make a difference in SQ?
.. if i understand correctly you're only transferring the files from whatever device thru to the dac/amp of the mojo
which then takes over the SQ, right?
i have to admit: I just love the look/feel of the venerable ipod touch due to its lightweight,
slim, unobtrusive profile and wonderfully easy to use UI.
(haven't had one before...only nano)

It makes zero difference AS LONG AS you're using music players that can take advantage of higher-res music tracks and pass through a digital signal.

In other words, if you buy an iPod + Mojo and just use the stock music player...then probably no point in Mojo. But if you buy an iPod + download an app like Onkyo HF Player + Mojo, then you'll be "matching" the higher $$$ devices in regards to sound quality. (but you probably already knew that if you're getting FLACs, which stock music player won't recognize)

Lastly -- out of curiosity, why would you spring for a new iPod and just get the 32GB version? You may fall in love w/ high res tracks and wish you had more space.

May 22, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #17,950 of 42,782
to warrior1975 and brent, thanks guys.

yes i'm just getting into the portable end.
(my home desktop rig is fine: laptop/ifi mercury/ipurifier 2/iFi micro dsd/mapletree HD earplus tube amp)
so excuse my naivete for portable gear...and i appreciate your imput.

yes i have heard of that onkyo app.
haven't yet bought it...still looking...so maybe i should look at a high storage amt
(thanks!)

just alot of my music is streaming so was unsure of how much storage i'd need.
and it only seems a matter of time this yr before apple cranks things up on their bitrate for streaming
esp as they wind down itunes...am sure spotify will follow suit as streaming increases.

to me streaming is where TV was a few yrs back...now everything TV related is HD.
streaming will most likely follow suit with better quality bitrates.
and like my itunes (i've never downloaded for free or illegally) i'd like to see a chunk of my
change go towards the artists...that part needs to be worked out...but that's another topic.

Quote:

It makes zero difference AS LONG AS you're using music players that can take advantage of higher-res music tracks and pass through a digital signal.

In other words, if you buy an iPod + Mojo and just use the stock music player...then probably no point in Mojo. But if you buy an iPod + download an app like Onkyo HF Player + Mojo, then you'll be "matching" the higher $$$ devices in regards to sound quality. (but you probably already knew that if you're getting FLACs, which stock music player won't recognize)

Lastly -- out of curiosity, why would you spring for a new iPod and just get the 32GB version? You may fall in love w/ high res tracks and wish you had more space.

May 22, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #17,951 of 42,782
Yes, I hear you. I've stuck w/ Apple for about 15 years now, so I too am holding out hope that they "open up" their native player at some point for higher quality tracks. I don't love the UI of Onkyo HF Player compared to the native Music player, but it sounds great and is easy enough to use. There are also other options I haven't looked at too closely but may just to experiment, including Foobar2000 and TuneShell.

I'm also an Apple Music subscriber, so same hope that they offer a higher-res stream option.

You may have a strict budget that holds you to 32GB price point, but my philosophy is buy more than you think you need for Apple since you can't expand storage after you've purchased...you're sort of locked in.

May 22, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #17,952 of 42,782
In other words, if you buy an iPod + Mojo and just use the stock music player...then probably no point in Mojo. But if you buy an iPod + download an app like Onkyo HF Player + Mojo, then you'll be "matching" the higher $$$ devices in regards to sound quality. (but you probably already knew that if you're getting FLACs, which stock music player won't recognize

Brent, not trying to contradict your statement or start a debate on high-res. But 95% of my collection is 320kbps MP3 and, the remaining are 16/44 FLACs and, Mojo has no problem sounding amazing. MP3 or FLAC, the trick is to feed Mojo a Bit-Perfect signal, to experience the true prowess of Mojo.

May 22, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #17,953 of 42,782
Brent, not trying to contradict your statement or start a debate on high-res. But 95% of my collection is 320kbps MP3 and, the remaining are 16/44 FLACs and, Mojo has no problem sounding amazing. MP3 or FLAC, the trick is to feed Mojo a Bit-Perfect signal, to experience the true prowess of Mojo.

I hear you and I agree - many of my tracks are varying format as well. That's great to hear that Mojo lifts them all! (mine shows up on Tuesday, so I haven't heard it firsthand)

Canali said he was buying FLACs, so I was merely pointing out that if he's going to get an iPod he'll need to invest in a player that plays that format as well. Re-reading my post, I don't I think I worded it that well.

But question for you while I have you on the line -- you say the "trick" is to feet it a bit-perfect signal. For the layman, how is that accomplished: a setting in the player? A cable?

May 22, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #17,954 of 42,782
no problem gents...i'm trying to experiment with
both flac/alac and streaming, to be frank...
so you've both been helpful.

i think i'll go with a 64gb to play it safe.

one final query please, on a good cable/interconnect:
i know blue moon carries their cables that are apple/mojo compatible.
then there are the more pricey ones like from penon below.
http://penonaudio.com/Lightning-Pure-Silver-Decoding-Cable
significant sound diffs?

Quote:
  I hear you and I agree - many of my tracks are varying format as well. That's great to hear that Mojo lifts them all! (mine shows up on Tuesday, so I haven't heard it firsthand)

Canali said he was buying FLACs, so I was merely pointing out that if he's going to get an iPod he'll need to invest in a player that plays that format as well. Re-reading my post, I don't I think I worded it that well.

But question for you while I have you on the line -- you say the "trick" is to feet it a bit-perfect signal. For the layman, how is that accomplished: a setting in the player? A cable?

May 22, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #17,955 of 42,782

Your wording was just perfect my friend. I just wanted to get the bit-perfect aspect across the table as it is a critical thing for Mojo to sound it's best. :)

About outputting bit-perfect. What device will you be using?

Windows: I use Foobar2000 on my work PC and you need install a WASAPI component (plug-in) to do bit-perfect. If you are willing to spend some $$, there is the Jriver application that many love.

Mac: I am currently using Vox application. It is Avery basic application without any bells and whistles but is capable of doing bit-perfect. It is just a change in setting to get bit-perfect. But there are tons of options for Mac if you are willing to spend some $$. Audirvana +, Amarra, Jriver are some of the popular options.

iOS: first you need an Apple Camera Connection Kit cable to do bit-perfect. Based on what I have gathered, iOS seems to do bit perfect as long as we are using the CCK. But if you are using Apple Music, the wifi signal strength can impact the quality of the music. Meaning, when you are connected to a poor wifi network, the quality of the file that Apple Music receives may be not the best. Something to think about. Not sure if Tidal behaves the same way. if you just have 16/44 FLACs, Vox for iOS can work. But once again, it is a very basic UI without bells and whistles. And you already know the answer for playing native Hi-Res files: Onkyo HF player.

Android: You need an OTG cable and the device should be OTG capable. There is a 3rd party app called the UAPP that seems to do bit perfect for Tidal streaming. If my memory serves me well, in all other circumstances, android up-samples the files. But I have not done a thorough research on the Android side. You may want to research this thread to get your answer.

Hope this helps. And as you will be receiving your mojo this Tuesday, Happy Listening :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back