Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 27, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #16,861 of 42,765
@musiclvr: hm can't share this point of view.
Did you experience this with IEM s with decent seal or closed cans?
If you don't wanna upgrade you portable rig just pump up the volume :)

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #16,862 of 42,765
I concur. I use my Mojo at home exclusively as a desktop dac in my office and, occasionally, in the living room. I think that the fine nuances that the Mojo retrieves from my music would be lost to ambient noise.
Guess in your life, you can listen to music in your car. In many places such as hete in Hong Kong most walk for 40 or so minutes each day,plus stand waiting for buses and trains every day then stand in a crowded train for one or two hours a day. Hence the growth of portable music and hand held computers to help pass the time. With a good iem one can really be isolated from the noisy environent. Its great to be able to enjoy good music. When I am hone I spend it with my family or Ill put music so all my family can listen together.

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #16,863 of 42,765
@musiclvr: hm can't share this point of view.
Did you experience this with IEM s with decent seal or closed cans?
If you don't wanna upgrade you portable rig just pump up the volume :)
and @jmills8
I did use my Wizard Savants before but I found the fit a bit finicky for my ears, as a result, I found they did not isolate noise too well. I have preordered the Campfire Audio Andromedas so hopefully they will seal/fit better. I am a bit ocd too with how I handle the Mojo. Specifically using a cloth to push the orbs so as to not let them collect oil/dust on or inside the Mojo. As a result I am not as care free as I could be with it hence its place in my desk. I use my HiFiM8 portably with various closed HPs i.e. AKG K267, B&W P5.2, Focal Spirit Pros, etc.

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #16,864 of 42,765
Guess in your life, you can listen to music in your car. In many places such as hete in Hong Kong most walk for 40 or so minutes each day,plus stand waiting for buses and trains every day then stand in a crowded train for one or two hours a day. Hence the growth of portable music and hand held computers to help pass the time. With a good iem one can really be isolated from the noisy environent. Its great to be able to enjoy good music. When I am hone I spend it with my family or Ill put music so all my family can listen together.

Wow! I don't commute that much per day/week. I do value my time with my family when at home as well. I love to watch my 2 year dance to the tunes from my 2 channel while my gal and I relax. When my family is asleep is when I break out my Mojo and get lost in in the music during the really late hours of the night/morning.

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #16,865 of 42,765
I have a really weird problem with my Mojo/AK120ii

Whenever I try to play a file above 24/96 in this combo Mojo doesn't seem to be able to handle it. Samplerate light switches off. any file up to 24/96 works like a charm. BUT when I connect any other DAP (same cable, same files) via opt in to Mojo it's no problem. so I thought AK problem - nah, it works fine with any other DAC (again, same cable and of course same files).

It appears my AK and Mojo don't want to work together above said samplerate.

any idea is welcome...

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #16,866 of 42,765

Whenever I try to play a file above 24/96 in this combo Mojo doesn't seem to be able to handle it. Samplerate light switches off. any file up to 24/96 works like a charm. BUT when I connect any other DAP (same cable, same files) via opt in to Mojo it's no problem. so I thought AK problem - nah, it works fine with any other DAC (again, same cable and of course same files).

any idea is welcome...

I'd still wager it's the cable.

All it takes is a minor transceiver/cable alignment difference at either end (which will vary with different DACs and DAPs) and an optical cable that works with one combination will fail, at higher sample rates, with another.

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #16,867 of 42,765
Can someone tell me if i'm right, i heard there are ~125dm of volume in the mojo. I count 95 clicks until the lights lock on whitish purple and don't change anymore. That would mean each click is ~1.3db, which would mean I listen at about 17-20db(13-15 clicks) with my ADEL A12's. Is that correct?

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #16,868 of 42,765

I'd still wager it's the cable.

All it takes is a minor transceiver/cable alignment difference at either end (which will vary with different DACs and DAPs) and an optical cable that works with one combination will fail, at higher sample rates, with another.

I actually tried about five different cables in total...

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #16,869 of 42,765
  I actually tried about five different cables in total...

Then it's probably down to a marginal optical transceiver at one, or both, ends of the equation (i.e. in your devices).  Another possibility is that the TOSLINK jacks are at the edges of the tolerance band and you're still getting an alignment issue.  Individually, with other devices, you're not pushing tolerance limits ... but those two devices (i.e. your specific copies of them - as this is not an endemic issue with either of them) are on the edge and going over it in combination.

Easiest way to test that is to hold the cables in place while you're playing your files and then move them around in the sockets and see if you can get them to link up that way.

Even then, this doesn't rule out the cables you have ... if you're using something like the Lifatec or SysConcepts stuff then it's probably not the cable.  If it's the usual run-of-the-mill cheap bundled plastic-crap then it's likely the combination of marginal transceivers with a less than good cable.

In either case, if it's not the cable, you're probably looking at replacing one, or both of the units if you want them to work together.

Apr 27, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #16,870 of 42,765
OCD: I prefer my mojo to be scratch free, but my mojo isn't perfect fresh from factory.

The top and bottom case pieces of my mojo aren't perfectly aligned. Unless chord products are as perfect as apple's, I wouldn't care few scratches.

Apr 27, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #16,871 of 42,765
I like the look of the case, but it's not for me. Yes the Mojo was designed as a portable solution but for me it would just add bulk to gain little from a standard iPhone or iPod when on the go - there's too much ambient noise when commuting to really benefit from the Mojo.

My Mojo is firmly on my desk - well actually on my audio interface, which is on my desk, and I bought it solely to drive those headphones that I have better than my audio interface. In respect of that it's done it's job admirably. So for me the Mojo is not a portable solution.

I really don't get why anybody would need a Mojo for portable use as I feel that most current DAPs and Phones are good enough with good portable HPs or IEMs without the need for external DACs and Amps.

Here is how I use my Mojo when I go outside. It doesn't add too much heft. Sure when you're outside there may be a lot of ambient noise but when your on a bus or car ride the noise is a lot less and I could take advantage of all the details Mojo is presenting.

Apr 27, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #16,872 of 42,765
Anyone got a Cubot H1 phone? It runs Android 5.1 but doesn't do native otg.it has glitches galore on Hiby HF and UAPP having gone through all the buffer settings. Airplane mode makes no difference. 3 different otg cables made no difference. 16 bit mode made no difference. The only improvement I got was when I switched the display off. Not a fault with the Mojo persay because it's clean as a whistle through my old Note II.

Apr 27, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #16,874 of 42,765
Finally have a cable that works for my lg v10 and mojo. I've tried every cable I have, which is approximately ten. Have a custom moon audio (I believe), and it's perfect. Snug in the usb port. Always have a connection now. Very happy for this!!

Apr 27, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #16,875 of 42,765

any idea is welcome...

As has been mentioned it's a 99.9999999% chance it's your optical cable. My AK100 mk2 works flawlessly using the Sysconcpt right angle optical cable to the Mojo playing 24/192 files. Not all optical cables can handle the data throughput of 24/192 files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back