Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 16, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #16,126 of 42,765
What has "closed-form" got to do with anything?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed-form_expression

Is there such a thing as an "open-form upsampling algorithm"--seeing as "not closed form" means "not computable by any means"?
rolleyes.gif

What is "an exactly estimated high-res version of the input?" Is it an estimate, or is it exact? For it to even be an "estimate" there needs to be e.g. blind spectral band replication applied from under 22kHz to over 22kHz:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectral_band_replication

The amount of calculation needed for this is simply not something you can put in the kind of CPU a Schiit uses. Is there even any hint that the Schiit puts out calculated harmonics at higher frequencies than that allowed by the input material's sample rate?
rolleyes.gif

And an "exact estimation", if such a term even means anything, I suppose means it can exactly recreate the high frequency content of the high-res master from the CD material. Which is even more ridiculous.

But I have no horse in this race. Judging from the drivel Rob and Mike each put out, Chord and Schiit really deserve each other as competitors.
rolleyes.gif

Does all this mean that waiting for  FiiO to enter the high quality DAC competition is an exercise in futility?

Apr 16, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #16,128 of 42,765
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 16, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #16,129 of 42,765
theoretically speaking wouldn't any resampled stream introduce new artifacts that in turn would need an algorithm to restore the original sample? if there is a flaw in the original, I don't see how (depending on the flaw) resampling would make for a more accurate representation. unless the goal is to interpret the data and make corrections based on an individuals preference and not to pass along the original content?

I would guess that is why some makers choose a method they believe will provide the result they desire?
A very simple way of looking at this - if I use one of my dodgy analogies...

Does a blu-ray look better for being upscaled on a 4K screen vs a 1080 screen of the same size?

There may be technical differences in the panels that would naturally promote a better look, one way or the other, but - on a purely technical level, the 1080 screen will be more faithful to the disc...

Apr 16, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #16,130 of 42,765
I've never been big on computer audio, but since I have the Mojo, I'm definitely curious. I want to use the Mojo with everything, out of curiosity. Last night I was watching movies on my surface book, using Mojo. Great sound.

Today I'm going to play around on my MacBook Air. I read about audio nirvana I believe (yes, read that very informative post 3). Is there any difference using a computer for audio as opposed to my phone or one of my daps? Is it worth the trouble or will that just be another endless and thankless task of finding software that sounds and works well with Mojo? I did hook my mojo up to our IMac but I was testing a cable to make sure it was working.

Apr 17, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #16,131 of 42,765
I've never been big on computer audio, but since I have the Mojo, I'm definitely curious. I want to use the Mojo with everything, out of curiosity. Last night I was watching movies on my surface book, using Mojo. Great sound.

Today I'm going to play around on my MacBook Air. I read about audio nirvana I believe (yes, read that very informative post 3). Is there any difference using a computer for audio as opposed to my phone or one of my daps? Is it worth the trouble or will that just be another endless and thankless task of finding software that sounds and works well with Mojo? I did hook my mojo up to our IMac but I was testing a cable to make sure it was working.

for dap digital out and phone OTG / CCK kit out, it should be the same, but on the desktop side, I'm only familiar with the PC / Win side of things. where we need to bypass windows kmixer using kernel stream or WASAPI, should be the same concept in Macs

Apr 17, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #16,132 of 42,765
for dap digital out and phone OTG / CCK kit out, it should be the same, but on the desktop side, I'm only familiar with the PC / Win side of things. where we need to bypass windows kmixer using kernel stream or WASAPI, should be the same concept in Macs

Macs use Core Audio and it is actually pretty advanced when you get in to the more advanced settings. Of particular use is Aggregate audio devices. I use Audirvana+ on my Mac which uses iZotope processing and I hear a slight difference with Audirvana+ over the Mac's default Core Audio.

Apr 17, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #16,133 of 42,765
x RELIC x Is it worth the additional effort? Money? I doubt it's expensive, just curious really. I don't plan on using any if my macs as a source, but it could happen. I'd imagine using my phone would be easier and just as good. If you use Mac, do you use iTunes or does Audirvana replace it? Busy copying music in to my SD card. Ever since I sold my AK240, I've left half of my collection on the computer since I only had a 64gb mini SD. I've had the 200 for many months, just been lazy. Decided, tonight was the night.

Apr 17, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #16,134 of 42,765
@x RELIC x Is it worth the additional effort? Money? I doubt it's expensive, just curious really. I don't plan on using any if my macs as a source, but it could happen. I'd imagine using my phone would be easier and just as good. If you use Mac, do you use iTunes or does Audirvana replace it? Busy copying music in to my SD card. Ever since I sold my AK240, I've left half of my collection on the computer since I only had a 64gb mini SD. I've had the 200 for many months, just been lazy. Decided, tonight was the night.

Audirvana + is pretty excellent. Whatever they are doing with the software it's great.
Noticeable difference between A+ and UAPP on Android phone.

Apr 17, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #16,135 of 42,765
x RELIC x Is it worth the additional effort? Money? I doubt it's expensive, just curious really. I don't plan on using any if my macs as a source, but it could happen. I'd imagine using my phone would be easier and just as good. If you use Mac, do you use iTunes or does Audirvana replace it? Busy copying music in to my SD card. Ever since I sold my AK240, I've left half of my collection on the computer since I only had a 64gb mini SD. I've had the 200 for many months, just been lazy. Decided, tonight was the night.

For me I was simply curious what Audirvana+ brought to the table so I bought it ($74). It can replace or integrate with iTunes if you like, your choice, plus it integrates with Tidal. I like the interface and the filter options and advanced audio options for EQ etc. To be honest I hardly listen through the Mac and I mostly use my Mojo stacked with the DAP. My desk is crowded and when I work I tax my systems heavily so computer audio from both my Mac Pro's is out of the question. That's when I hook up my MacbookPro, but then I have less space on my desk. So for me, no it's not worth it. For others it has a lot of useful features and settings that they may really enjoy.

As far sound quality differences they are minimal, but there.... I like it when I use it.

Apr 17, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #16,137 of 42,765
So I was listening to music with my Mojo/Phone stack and Mojo ran out of battery. What now ? Just charge it ?

Apr 17, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #16,138 of 42,765
jmills8 check the third post for what to do when you run out of battery. :grinning:

Thanks guys, I did the trial run with audivarna, hooked mojo up and it's working. Lots of interesting stuff to play with. I won't use my mac much for music either. I do like the interface plus having tidal integrated is very nice as well.

Apr 17, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #16,139 of 42,765
It sounds like a good idea to preserve the original samples, but mathematically impossible (short of computing using an infinite length filter) unless you deliberately bend the interpolated sample points to fit the original sample points--this bending further compromises a non-ideal resampling rather than making it ideal. That's what I'm trying to say.

The mathematics behind this are admittedly beyond me to fully explain (as if strewing the contents of a page like this on head-fi would make any sense anyway), but the Adobe Audition example showed that Adobe knows how to implement a "preserves original samples" filter but chooses to only do so for real-time visualization rather than actual audio application. We may deduce that Adobe also regards "preserves original samples" would do more harm than good for actual listening.

I'm not too sure about all the science and mathematics above

But what I do know is  (Mojo + HP + FLAC)T = Joy³

Please note: FLAC can be substituted with WAV, DSD, ALAC AIFF
T=Time in hours
HP= Headphone IEM/CIEM

L3000.gif

Apr 17, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #16,140 of 42,765
jmills8 check the third post for what to do when you run out of battery. :grinning:

Thanks guys, I did the trial run with audivarna, hooked mojo up and it's working. Lots of interesting stuff to play with. I won't use my mac much for music either. I do like the interface plus having tidal integrated is very nice as well.
Didnt find my issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back