Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 16, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #16,081 of 42,765
anybody using mojo to drive directly small 8ohm speakers. I plan to drive small 3 inch 8ohm full range drivers directly through mojo. will that be a problem to mojo ? I know volume may not be much .

Apr 16, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #16,082 of 42,765
Anybody using Chord Mojo as dac alone, not a headphone amp/dac combo? Any experience?
it doesn't function that way
No that's not strictly accurate. With the right cable to convert the output from 3.5 mini Jack to RCAs it's quite possible to use Mojo as a mini deck top. Although it's true, it wasn't designed as a deck top unit.

I believe the response was to the question of using the DAC alone, which obviously you can not do.

Synthax, in the third post there is are sections called "Regarding Mojo's output stage", "Setting Mojo to Line Level", and "Regarding use of an additional amp" for more information. As the title of the thread says, please read the third post, as Mython has put and extraordinary amount of effort to organize and provide a wealth of information.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post#

That said, my personal experience is that an additional amp pretty much colours the sound (which is fine if you like that flavour) and for most headphones, except for something like the Abyss or HE-6, is not really necessary as the tiny Mojo has much more power than its size would indicate. Again, the reasons why are in the third post.

Apr 16, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #16,083 of 42,765
anybody using mojo to drive directly small 8ohm speakers. I plan to drive small 3 inch 8ohm full range drivers directly through mojo. will that be a problem to mojo ? I know volume may not be much .

Again, this information is in the third post (although buried deep in other topics). Rob has done it themselves and says it sounds great on 8 Ohm horn speakers.

Edit: Found the quote from Rob:

I do not buy this all. You need to bear in mind several facts:

1. The battery is capable of delivering 3A of current, and has very low impedance.
2. Mojo amplifier has a very high power supply rejection ratio.
3. The output is pure class A at 5v RMS into 300 ohm.
4. Reducing the output load only starts to increase distortion with 33 ohms - at this level it is very much lower than other headphone amps. The HD25 is a very easy 70 ohms.
5. Mojo is designed to drive loudspeakers. You will be amazed hearing it fill the room with beautiful sound using efficient 8 ohm horn loudspeakers.

Some people like the sound of more distortion - 2nd harmonic fattens the sound making everything sound phat, soft and rounded. But its not natural, nor do I find it musical, as everything sounds phat. I want soft sounds to sound soft, and sharp sounds to sound sharp - not everything to have a soft sheen on things all the time.

I can give you another example. I just had an email today from a very experienced dealer that asked me this question:

"Chord Mojo should have single amplification which drive to both headphone output, but if I'm using any headphones (HD800 for example, very heavy to drive) to put on headphone output 1 and I connect another headphone to headphone output 2 (Beyer T1 for example), I hear no differences on sound quality. Normally if one amplification section used to drive 2 headphones output, then once we connect the second headphone will make overall sound quality degradation (as the case of Beyerdynamic A20 amp, Grace Design M903, etc). What is the logical explanation of this? As it seems Mojo has 2 separate amplification sections which drive independently for each headphone output."

Of course Mojo does not have two amplification stages. It can drive two headphones with ease because it has exceptional low output impedance, and it has exceptional current linearity. So loading it with more headphones has no effect, unlike other headphone amplifiers.

Indeed, when I initially started designing Hugo I was shocked how poor from a measurement point of view headphone amps were. Poor output impedance, huge levels of distortion, and poor current linearity seem to be typical. And these things matter, if your goal is transparency and musicality. 

Rob

Apr 16, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #16,084 of 42,765
@Synthax, in the third post there is are sections called "Regarding Mojo's output stage", "Setting Mojo to Line Level", and "Regarding use of an additional amp" for more information.

Hi, then do you know if using an amp and an active subwoofer has been covered ? As it has two 3.5 outs it could in theory feed a sub and an amp unless it strains/drains too much for a technical reason ?
The USB power in could also be hooked up to an overnight (out of use time) wall plug on a timer so it charges for the next day making it in effect a 2.1 DAC/AMP desktop unit.

Apr 16, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #16,085 of 42,765
I feed both a power amp and a sub through Hugo by using rca splitter and Hugo does it without any problem. it should depend on how much impedance mojo/Hugo experience . I think the combined impedance should be in the range of few kohm so no problem in attaching both powered sub and amp simultaneously to mojo line out.

Apr 16, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #16,086 of 42,765
Hi, then do you know if using an amp and an active subwoofer has been covered ? As it has two 3.5 outs it could in theory feed a sub and an amp unless it strains/drains too much for a technical reason ?
The USB power in could also be hooked up to an overnight (out of use time) wall plug on a timer so it charges for the next day making it in effect a 2.1 DAC desktop unit.

Good question, but I haven't seen any info on using an active sub. It would be interesting to test.

Apr 16, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #16,087 of 42,765
though not much discussed but to me the biggest attribute of all recent chord DACs is ultra low output impedance which makes them so much more versatile. you use chord DACs to drive low impedance iems, drive 8ohm horns directly, connect to power or connect to integrated amp. also a passive preamp can be used to a great affect without bothering about the length of interconnects. imho ultra low impedance of chord DACs is one of the main contributing factor to the punch , dynamism and realism to the sound of mojo/Hugo/dave.

Apr 16, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #16,088 of 42,765
Question about Battery light. Blue equals full charge but Green and Yellow means ?

Apr 16, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #16,089 of 42,765
Question about Battery light. Blue equals full charge but Green and Yellow means ?

:rolleyes: Third post. Battery & Charging section. All the info you want. :rolleyes:

Apr 16, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #16,090 of 42,765
 drive 8ohm horns directly, connect to power or connect to integrated amp.

So with the likes of an easy to drive full range speaker would it be 4x speaker taps cables (left +- / right +-) down to a 6.3" plug then into a 3.5"....

I'm guessing the speaker cable guage would need to terminate into a bigger plug.
Would that not cause ground shorting into the mojo ?
confused_face(1).gif

Apr 16, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #16,091 of 42,765
Edit: Apologies, I was thinking something else.

Apr 16, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #16,092 of 42,765
ground is said to be common inside mojo anyway. a simple 3.5mm stereo plug with common negative wires attached to sleeve of the plug and left and right positive connected to other two pins would do and at the other end bare wires can be connected to speaker terminals .

Apr 16, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #16,093 of 42,765
The USB power in could also be hooked up to an overnight (out of use time) wall plug on a timer so it charges for the next day making it in effect a 2.1 DAC desktop unit.

Good question, but I haven't seen any info on using an active sub. It would be interesting to test.
i am using the active sub , genelec f one feedinh from mojo. it's been 3 months

Apr 16, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #16,094 of 42,765

The intended colours for battery life are:

Blue              100% to 80%
Green             79% to 50%
Yellow            49% to 10%
Red                  9% to 2%
flashing red     less than 2% or 10 minutes left.

Apr 16, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #16,095 of 42,765
i have found that like all DACs and audio devices mojo takes about an hour to warm up and performs at its best. though even after half an hour itself it improves considerably . initially it sounds a bit bright in vocals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back