Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 14, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #15,946 of 42,765
AK240 + Mojo + Liquid Carbon + ETHER C = Toe tapping while working.

How it sounds when Eather is directly connected to Mojo ?
How much difference you feel while using the Amp ?

Apr 14, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #15,947 of 42,765

The ETHER C sounds incredible directly from the Mojo. I just wanted to use the Liquid Carbon tonight. The amp adds distortion to the mix, but it's Cavalli distortion that sounds a little more open, a little more dynamic, but not as smooth as directly from the Mojo. It's a very musical pairing when plugged in to the Liquid Carbon.

Apr 14, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #15,948 of 42,765
I'm not sure if to simply buy the mojo and sell my geekout and dx90... first world problems

I wouldn't sell the DX90, I find it an ideal partner for mojo in sound and size.

Apr 14, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #15,949 of 42,765
I wouldn't sell the DX90, I find it an ideal partner for mojo in sound and size.

i sold mine cause i lost faith in ibasso and their dap, 24 updates and still fail to get them error free

Apr 14, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #15,950 of 42,765

The ETHER C sounds incredible directly from the Mojo. I just wanted to use the Liquid Carbon tonight. The amp adds distortion to the mix, but it's Cavalli distortion that sounds a little more open, a little more dynamic, but not as smooth as directly from the Mojo. It's a very musical pairing when plugged in to the Liquid Carbon.

Nice diplomatic reply like a politician :) Nice :D

Apr 14, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #15,951 of 42,765
Apr 14, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #15,952 of 42,765
Carbon a better amp while using the Mojos Dac?

Power wise there's nothing in it because on both the Mojo directly and the Liquid Carbon I have the volume about 1/4 total, if not a bit less. If asking if the Liquid Carbon is better in a measurable way, then no, the Mojo is better with better measurable numbers. Like I said, the Cavalli amp is slightly less smooth, slightly more dynamic, but not really adding anything technically to what the Mojo does. It's more of a flavour that's rather enjoyable, and again, more for when I'm 'in the mood'. :wink:

If you're asking if I like the Mojo more than other DACs I have connected to the Liquid Carbon, then yes I do. It's a good pairing.

Apr 14, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #15,953 of 42,765
  Cheers, ill probably just sell it as this is far too much aggravation i didnt have before for a simple task! but thanks for your help

Cool. My summing up of the Mojo is that it is a good DAC if you can live with its foibles. The sound quality is ahead of price. One of the foibles for me is that I use it as a desktop DAC. I need input selection also which is not really the Mojo's fault, etc. Those sort of foibles too.

However I am glad you got to the bottom of things. I wonder if there will ever be an explanation from Chord about the ASIO, WASAPI, Direct Sound, driver switching.

Apr 14, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #15,955 of 42,765
Quote:
  Cheers, ill probably just sell it as this is far too much aggravation i didnt have before for a simple task! but thanks for your help

Quote:

Cool. My summing up of the Mojo is that it is a good DAC if you can live with its foibles. The sound quality is ahead of price. One of the foibles for me is that I use it as a desktop DAC. I need input selection also which is not really the Mojo's fault, etc. Those sort of foibles too.

However I am glad you got to the bottom of things. I wonder if there will ever be an explanation from Chord about the ASIO, WASAPI, Direct Sound, driver switching.

Actually I just thought. I will check this over with my Meridian Explorer, to see if it behaves the same way as the Mojo. Meaning run a Youtube vid and then at the same time, play a tune in WASAPI. see whether it brings the Youtube vid to a crunch.

I think the Explorer works the other way aroud like the Mojo. I.E. play music in WASAPI, and it won't start playing Direct Sound without closing JRiver and WASAPI driver. Will check this soon.

Apr 14, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #15,956 of 42,765
That's one nice setup!
What about control and body of the Carbon vs Mojo? I own the Mojo, waiting for a ZMF Omni and thinking on getting the Carbon.
I'll be running your same setup except with the Omni (also planar magnetic).

Thanks, I don't run this setup often, it's more of a treat. I usually feed the Liquid Carbon from the Audio-GD DAC-19 as I'd rather not deal with battery management on the Mojo while I'm working (I freelance from home). That said, when paired with the Mojo the Liquid Carbon has an even more musical and enjoyable presentation for me. The Mojo does its magic in the DAC and the Liquid Carbon slightly adds some dynamics, some attack, some soundstage, and yes, a bit of punch over the Mojo alone. It may not be more 'accurate' but the pair is slightly more musical for me than the components are separate. Like I've already said, it's a flavour, that's all. For what it's worth 100% of my listening is straight from the Mojo when not sitting at my desk working.

:beerchug:

Edit: By the way, the ETHER C has very fast drivers and is fantastic for being able to reproduce the smallest subtleties in the music. Control is excellent.

Edit 2: I'd like to clarify before there are a million questions on the pairing that if the Mojo wasn't so good on its own already then I wouldn't be downplaying the qualities of the Liquid Carbon as much. It's a fine amp for the price, maybe the best I've heard at this level. It's just that the Mojo is so good by itself the Liquid Carbon isn't really required, it's just that the pair sounds very musical and impactful together.

Apr 14, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #15,959 of 42,765
I am not sure what I have missed on this thread but why won't a standard Lightning to Micro usb cable work with the iPhone 6 to Mojo?
Thanks i advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back